Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Why are sometimes a particular website referred by multiple URL's

Why are sometimes a particular website referred by multiple URL's

Tarun A

Though the question is not related to java but definetly to WEB, for
which java plays an important role, so please do answer me if anybody
knows the answer.

Why are sometimes a particular website referred by multiple URl's?
Each of these URl's are referred as different legs.

For example the URl's http://w1.abc.com
http://w2.abc.com

Both take you to the same location.

Somebody told me that it is to tackle the user traffic to that
particular Website.
Can you explain about that clearly?

Gordon Beaton

On 10 Apr 2007 02:14:03 -0700, Tarun A wrote:
> Though the question is not related to java but definetly to WEB, for
> which java plays an important role,

Since electricity plays an even more important role than java for the
operation of the web, I suggest that alt.engineering.electrical is a
more suitable place for this question.

/gordon

Lew

Tarun A wrote:
> Though the question is not related to java but definetly to WEB, for
> which java plays an important role, so please do answer me if anybody
> knows the answer.
>
> Why are sometimes a particular website referred by multiple URl's?
> Each of these URl's are referred as different legs.
>
> For example the URl's http://w1.abc.com
> http://w2.abc.com
>
> Both take you to the same location.
>
> Somebody told me that it is to tackle the user traffic to that
> particular Website.
> Can you explain about that clearly?

There are several reasons. For example, in Tomcat (a Java-based Web
application container) and other Java servlet engines, among other products,
one can detect which address was used to access the web site. Based on the
address used, the application can take different actions.

--
Lew