Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ

Wireless won't connected on startup after setting up secure networ

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

Barb Bowman

Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
using only WZC to configure your wireless?

What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

That was a consideration but I am not certain of how to uninstall the Linksys
client. I feel the problem lies here as it has only been an issue since the
Linksys client set up the new secure connection. Can I find and disable this
anywhere? I'm not sure what it will be called or where to look even. Can you
give me any directions please. The security in wep 64 bit. Thanks

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
> using only WZC to configure your wireless?
>
> What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?
>
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:14:02 -0700, Jon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
> >network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
> >up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
> >start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
> >icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
> >linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
> >Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
> >internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
> >conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
> >have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

Another weird thing, when I type 192.168.1.1 admin into my browser, the page
displayed is incomplete in that all of the options on the left hand side and
most of the text is missing.

"Jon" wrote:

> That was a consideration but I am not certain of how to uninstall the Linksys
> client. I feel the problem lies here as it has only been an issue since the
> Linksys client set up the new secure connection. Can I find and disable this
> anywhere? I'm not sure what it will be called or where to look even. Can you
> give me any directions please. The security in wep 64 bit. Thanks
>
> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
> > Have you considered uninstalling the Linksys client completely and
> > using only WZC to configure your wireless?
> >
> > What type of security are you using? WPA2? WPA?
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:14:02 -0700, Jon
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
> > >network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This set
> > >up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However, everytime I
> > >start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
> > >icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file from
> > >linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
> > >Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
> > >internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
> > >conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same problem. I
> > >have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

> > --
> >
> > Barb Bowman
> > MS Windows-MVP
> > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> > http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
> installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
> According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
> the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
> AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
> > network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This
> > set
> > up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However,
> > everytime I
> > start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
> > icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file
> > from
> > linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
> > Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
> > internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
> > conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same
> > problem. I
> > have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

Barb Bowman

can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
WZC service on again if it is off.

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
>to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
>since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
>When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
>looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
>wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
>after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
>wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.
>
>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
>> installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
>> According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
>> the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
>> AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have an ASUS laptop with XP Pro. I had a problem securing my wireless
>> > network, which was otherwise OK and so ran Linksys net set client. This
>> > set
>> > up a new secure wireless network and saved the settings. However,
>> > everytime I
>> > start the computer the wireless network does not connect and the wireless
>> > icon in the systray has a little red x through it. If I run setup file
>> > from
>> > linksys net set client saved settings it establishes the connection.
>> > Obviously I don't want to have to do this everytime I want to get on the
>> > internet. WZC is enabled and started. I understand that there maybe a
>> > conflict here but when I disable or stop WZC I still have the same
>> > problem. I
>> > have no idea where to go from here so any advise very welcomed.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9u?=

Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
and help.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
> WZC service on again if it is off.
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
> >to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
> >since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
> >When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
> >looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
> >wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
> >after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
> >wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.
> >
> >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> If the Wireless does not work when WZC is Off and the Linksys utility is
> >> installed, then you have a problem that is Not related to WZC.
> >> According to your description it might be a Router issue. Try to Hard Reset
> >> the Router, and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed.
> >> AS for the Wireless Client this might help,
> >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >>
> >> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

glad it's working for you now.

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:52:08 -0700, Jon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
>which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
>wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
>and help.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
>> WZC service on again if it is off.
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 00:00:00 -0700, Jon
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi. Thanks, I did a hard reset on the router and this took my connection back
>> >to my original unsecured connection but still I could not connect. I have
>> >since run the Linksys Netset client and this establishes a new connection.
>> >When I rebooted the PC the wireless connection would not connect again. I
>> >looked at the wzc status and it was not started. I started it and under
>> >wireless networks tab chose use windows to configure my network settings and
>> >after 3 or 4 attempts a connection was established. After every restart the
>> >wzc is not started even though it is set to automatic.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Bill

Barb Bowman wrote:
> glad it's working for you now.
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:52:08 -0700, Jon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi I downloaded the ezlan startup utility and found something called broadcom
>> which was running the wireless configuration. I disabled this and reselected
>> wzc, rebooted and I connected straight away. Thank you verymuch for your time
>> and help.
>>
>> "Barb Bowman" wrote:
>>
>>> can you try uninstalling the Linksys utility? then reboot, turn the
>>> WZC service on again if it is off.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS Windows-MVP
>>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
>>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Just to add another layer of strange to this I was having a problem with
getting a solid connection when I turned my computer on in the morning.
No Internet connection even though nothing had changed. The cure,
strangely enough, was to just unplug the ethernet cable to my computer
and after about 5 seconds plug it in again, and it was like Windows had
detected a whole new network. I never had this problem booting into
Suse, or Ubuntu, so it was/is a Windows thing.
Now I don't think I will buy Vista until some stupid customer buys into
it and I have to go with the flow. Needless to say I prefer Linux for
the critical stuff and Windows only for the forced CAD programs and the
few things that companies just won't port over to Linux. As long as I
have Open Office and Mozilla that takes care of most of my needs.
I think Protel and Cadence would be very pleasantly surprised if they
came out with Linux versions that could send Windows compatible files
over the office network.
Bill Baka