Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > reclaiming hard drive space

reclaiming hard drive space

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Here goes,

I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for a
long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
storage.

I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
1 seagate 160 drive.

I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a leftover
recovery from xp
? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
its empty with nothing in it

C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
seagate E:\160 gig
f:\232 gig

so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232

I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

Theo

Where exactly is this 4.8 GB partition; which hard drive and
is it the last partition?

loaderopp wrote:
> Here goes,
>
> I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
> great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for a
> long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
> storage.
>
> I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> 1 seagate 160 drive.
>
> I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a leftover
> recovery from xp
> ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> its empty with nothing in it
>
> C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> seagate E:\160 gig
> f:\232 gig
>
> so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
>
> I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

John Barnes

If the d drive is really empty, you should be able to delete it and then use
Disk Manager to expand the c partition. You would then have c e and f
partitions unless you change them manually in disk management.

"loaderopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here goes,
>
> I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
> great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for
> long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
> storage.
>
> I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> 1 seagate 160 drive.
>
> I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a
> leftover
> recovery from xp
> ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> its empty with nothing in it
>
> C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> seagate E:\160 gig
> f:\232 gig
>
> so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
>
> I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Hello Theo

It's on my main drive where vista is installed, my version of XP was a oem
from gateway it left a 4.8 gig recovery partion i kept the drive when i built
the new system when i installed Vista i first installed vista 32 upgrade then
ordered the 64 bit disk, Clean installed vista 64 but left this little
partion just in case i needed to reload XP as that was where all the system
recovery files were located since that is no longer needed i deleted all the
files in that little recovery partition And would like to remove it and have
vista use that space.

my main drive 232 gig ( 228 main partition)
with this little 4.8 gig (4.8 gig unallocated)

so i would end up with C:\ 232 gig non partitioned

"Theo" wrote:

> Where exactly is this 4.8 GB partition; which hard drive and
> is it the last partition?
>

> loaderopp wrote:
> > Here goes,
> >
> > I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
> > great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for a
> > long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
> > storage.
> >
> > I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> > 1 seagate 160 drive.
> >
> > I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a leftover
> > recovery from xp
> > ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> > its empty with nothing in it
> >
> > C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> > seagate E:\160 gig
> > f:\232 gig
> >
> > so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
> >
> > I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

Tony Sperling

If the D: drive is a Logical drive in an Extended Partition you will need to
remove the Logical Drive and you then delete the Extended Partition but you
will need some third party software to merge it back into your C:
partition - otherwise it will just be unused space sitting at the end with
no way to get to it beyond setting it up as a 4.8GB Logical drive again.

But be carefull now, because if the C: drive is also a Logical Drive and the
whole disk is an Extended Partition then you are risking your system unless
you are aware of what you are doing. Take care so that you can fit it into
your mind what those partitions are and how the system are using it all!!!

Tony. . .

"loaderopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Theo
>
> It's on my main drive where vista is installed, my version of XP was a oem
> from gateway it left a 4.8 gig recovery partion i kept the drive when i

built
> the new system when i installed Vista i first installed vista 32 upgrade

then
> ordered the 64 bit disk, Clean installed vista 64 but left this little
> partion just in case i needed to reload XP as that was where all the

system
> recovery files were located since that is no longer needed i deleted all

the
> files in that little recovery partition And would like to remove it and

have
> vista use that space.
>
> my main drive 232 gig ( 228 main partition)
> with this little 4.8 gig (4.8 gig unallocated)
>
> so i would end up with C:\ 232 gig non partitioned
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
> > Where exactly is this 4.8 GB partition; which hard drive and
> > is it the last partition?
> >

> > loaderopp wrote:
> > > Here goes,
> > >
> > > I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been

running
> > > great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp

for a
> > > long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive

for
> > > storage.
> > >
> > > I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> > > 1 seagate 160 drive.
> > >
> > > I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a

leftover
> > > recovery from xp
> > > ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> > > its empty with nothing in it
> > >
> > > C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> > > seagate E:\160 gig
> > > f:\232 gig
> > >
> > > so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
> > >
> > > I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

John Barnes

Vista will allow him to extend the C drive in disk management. Also you
need a primary partition for your primary boot files so the whole drive is
unlikely to be an extended partition.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the D: drive is a Logical drive in an Extended Partition you will need
> remove the Logical Drive and you then delete the Extended Partition but
> you
> will need some third party software to merge it back into your C:
> partition - otherwise it will just be unused space sitting at the end with
> no way to get to it beyond setting it up as a 4.8GB Logical drive again.
>
> But be carefull now, because if the C: drive is also a Logical Drive and
> the
> whole disk is an Extended Partition then you are risking your system
> unless
> you are aware of what you are doing. Take care so that you can fit it into
> your mind what those partitions are and how the system are using it all!!!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "loaderopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Theo
>>
>> It's on my main drive where vista is installed, my version of XP was a
>> oem
>> from gateway it left a 4.8 gig recovery partion i kept the drive when i

> built
>> the new system when i installed Vista i first installed vista 32 upgrade

> then
>> ordered the 64 bit disk, Clean installed vista 64 but left this little
>> partion just in case i needed to reload XP as that was where all the

> system
>> recovery files were located since that is no longer needed i deleted all

> the
>> files in that little recovery partition And would like to remove it and

> have
>> vista use that space.
>>
>> my main drive 232 gig ( 228 main partition)
>> with this little 4.8 gig (4.8 gig unallocated)
>>
>> so i would end up with C:\ 232 gig non partitioned
>>
>> "Theo" wrote:
>>
>> > Where exactly is this 4.8 GB partition; which hard drive and
>> > is it the last partition?

> running

> for a

> for

> leftover

Tony Sperling

You are right John. I missed the Vista part. But I've seen some mighty
strangely organised restore partitions in my day (including one hidden
partition that was only accessible from the system CD via a proprietary
Interrupt - I think that was a Compaq?) I thought it pertinent to stress
that your own eyes and mind may be more trustworthy than what anybody is
saying. At least when it comes to deleting partitions. No idea what Gateway
may have been up to.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Vista will allow him to extend the C drive in disk management. Also you
> need a primary partition for your primary boot files so the whole drive is
> unlikely to be an extended partition.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If the D: drive is a Logical drive in an Extended Partition you will

need
> > remove the Logical Drive and you then delete the Extended Partition but
> > you
> > will need some third party software to merge it back into your C:
> > partition - otherwise it will just be unused space sitting at the end

with
> > no way to get to it beyond setting it up as a 4.8GB Logical drive again.
> >
> > But be carefull now, because if the C: drive is also a Logical Drive and
> > the
> > whole disk is an Extended Partition then you are risking your system
> > unless
> > you are aware of what you are doing. Take care so that you can fit it

into
> > your mind what those partitions are and how the system are using it

all!!!

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "loaderopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello Theo
> >>
> >> It's on my main drive where vista is installed, my version of XP was a
> >> oem
> >> from gateway it left a 4.8 gig recovery partion i kept the drive when i

> > built
> >> the new system when i installed Vista i first installed vista 32

upgrade
> > then
> >> ordered the 64 bit disk, Clean installed vista 64 but left this little
> >> partion just in case i needed to reload XP as that was where all the

> > system
> >> recovery files were located since that is no longer needed i deleted

all
> > the
> >> files in that little recovery partition And would like to remove it and

> > have
> >> vista use that space.
> >>
> >> my main drive 232 gig ( 228 main partition)
> >> with this little 4.8 gig (4.8 gig unallocated)
> >>
> >> so i would end up with C:\ 232 gig non partitioned

> > running

xp
> > for a

> > for

> > leftover

=?Utf-8?B?ZWxpdGVwa251?=

i've only played a little with partitions but i found powermax by maxtor a
usefull program for formating it cleans the hd bk to original as if it came
out of the package
check it out it might hlp u.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-2799.html
hope this hlps

"loaderopp" wrote:

> Here goes,
>
> I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
> great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for a
> long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
> storage.
>
> I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> 1 seagate 160 drive.
>
> I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a leftover
> recovery from xp
> ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> its empty with nothing in it
>
> C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> seagate E:\160 gig
> f:\232 gig
>
> so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
>
> I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

=?Utf-8?B?bG9hZGVyb3Bw?=

Hi guys!
Thanks for the thoughts i got it (grin) I used Acronis moved my C vista to
my other 250 gig 8 meg cache, drive formated the drive and then moved them
back to my 250 gig 16 meg cache drive!

worked very well. no bobo's or &^%$%^^ where needed (grin)
Thanks again
Michael!!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If the d drive is really empty, you should be able to delete it and then use
> Disk Manager to expand the c partition. You would then have c e and f
> partitions unless you change them manually in disk management.
>

> "loaderopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Here goes,
> >
> > I installed vista 64 bit home media in on feb 10th system has been running
> > great, and my system was set up to dual boot to xp, had not booted xp for
> > long time so i cleared the drive and reformated it. using the drive for
> > storage.
> >
> > I have 3 harddrives 2 western dig 250 gig
> > 1 seagate 160 drive.
> >
> > I have a 4 gig partition on my vista c:\ drive (250) gig that is a
> > leftover
> > recovery from xp
> > ? is there a way to clear this 4 gig partiction unallocated space
> > its empty with nothing in it
> >
> > C:\ 228gig D:\4.8 gig
> > seagate E:\160 gig
> > f:\232 gig
> >
> > so i would end up with C:\ 232 d:\160 E:\232
> >
> > I played with disk mamager but cannot remove the drive partiction

=?Utf-8?B?ZWxpdGVwa251?=

srry that page dont work this one does:

Reclaiming locks CJ C Programming 6 10-30-2007 07:10 AM
Reclaiming (lots of) memory Thomas Rast Python 11 10-22-2004 01:18 PM
Analog transfer, and Hard Drive Space..DVD drive as alternative? Dave in WA DVD Video 10 09-06-2004 06:56 PM
0 Kb of RAM left, reclaiming it ?? fredcromer Computer Information 8 06-19-2004 03:48 PM
Reclaiming Home Page in IE 6.0 Ron Flaman Computer Support 4 06-26-2003 05:18 PM

Advertisments