Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > shopping for an html editor

shopping for an html editor

Lisa

I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
laptop.
Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
-integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
-link checking
-orphan file/image checking
-html validation
-css editor
-ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
-it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
what my authors write in.
-ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
-find and replace across a whole project

I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Lisa wrote :
> I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
> been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
> now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
> laptop.

I recommend handcoding with an advanced text editor, otherwise - if
you're too accustomed to a WYSIWYG HTML editor - I recommend KompoZer 0.77.

> Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
> the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
> -integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed

FireFTP 0.95.2.1 (latest version), an extension add-on for Firefox 2.
I've been using it for over 3 months now and highly recommend it.
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
or

It's much better than current Nvu 1.0 Site Manager or KompoZer 0.77 Site
Manager.

> -link checking

W3C link checker is the best tool I can recommend because it can detect
and report redirected links, not just "404 not found" or others.
http://validator.w3.org/checklink

Otherwise, I recommend and occasionally use
LinkChecker 0.6.1, an extension add-on for Firefox 2
http://www.kevinfreitas.net/extensions/linkchecker/
or

> -orphan file/image checking

There must be a Firefox add-on extension for this or a developer toolbar.

> -html validation

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Otherwise HTML validation (latest
version for true SGML parsing is 0.8.3.9), a Firefox add-on extension
can do that.

or
http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/index.html

What I like about HTML validation 0.8.3.9 is that it can work offline
and can also report HTML Tidy warnings.

I use HandCoder 0.3.4 when upgrading severely broken webpages.

> -css editor

KasCades (CSS editor) from within KompoZer 0.77 has a CSS editing tool.
Nvu 1.0 also has CasCades (CSS editor) .

> -ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
> -it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
> ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
> what my authors write in.

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 have a built-in Markup cleaner feature. I use
HandCoder 0.3.4 with the latest HTML Tidy (April 2007) for poorly
written webpages. So, you can customize how much cleaning (pretty
printing, removing, replacing, etc.) you want: Tidy is highly configurable.

You may want to read my post in another thread in this newsgroup on this
(Subject line was: Standard HTML by open-source WYSIWYG editor?).

> -ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag

Interesting request...otherwise I don't understand what you're looking
for. I'm not sure if any web authoring editor can do that with a single
click.

> -find and replace across a whole project

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Lots of other web authoring tools
or advanced text editors can also do that.

> I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Lisa

I recommend KompoZer 0.77

http://kompozer.net/

until Composer 2 is released. KompoZer 0.77 and Composer 2 (when it will
be released) are open-source software, free software,
translated/localized software, multi-platform software, with a bunch of
extensions available. Otherwise, hand-coding webpages with an advanced
text editor is what I recommend.

Gérard
--
Using Web Standards in your Web Pages (Updated Dec. 2006)
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs...your_Web_Pages

BootNic

> Lisa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> news: (E-Mail Removed) om
> I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
> been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
> now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
> laptop.

[snip]
http://<br /> http://www.blumentals....builder/<br />

Vary similar to Homesite 5.

--
BootNic Monday, April 09, 2007 11:00 PM

Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.
*Ancient Chinese Proverbs*

John Hosking

Gérard Talbot wrote:

> I recommend KompoZer 0.77.

> FireFTP 0.95.2.1 (latest version), an extension add-on for Firefox 2.

> Otherwise, I recommend and occasionally use LinkChecker 0.6.1

> Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Otherwise HTML validation (latest
> version for true SGML parsing is 0.8.3.9), a Firefox add-on extension
> can do that.

> I use HandCoder 0.3.4 when upgrading severely broken webpages.

> KasCades (CSS editor) from within KompoZer 0.77 has a CSS editing tool.
> Nvu 1.0 also has CasCades (CSS editor) .

> Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 have a built-in Markup cleaner feature. I use
> HandCoder 0.3.4

> Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Lots of other web authoring tools
> or advanced text editors can also do that.

> I recommend KompoZer 0.77

Talk about living on the Bleeding Edge of Technology! What do you do,
Gérard, *uninstall* software when it comes out of Beta?

--
John

paul@paulwatt.info

On 9 Apr, 21:02, "Lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
> been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
> now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
> laptop.
> Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
> the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
> -integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
> -link checking
> -orphan file/image checking
> -html validation
> -css editor
> -ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
> -it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
> ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
> what my authors write in.
> -ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
> -find and replace across a whole project
>
> I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Lisa

I use DW 8 and I'm very happy with it, but DW CS3 is out soon, so i'd
wait for that. (you'll be able to try it in about 6 weeks when Adobe
release the trial software)

Paul

patrick j

On Apr 9, 2007 Lisa wrote:

> Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
> the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
> -integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
> -link checking
> -orphan file/image checking
> -html validation
> -css editor
> -ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
> -it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
> ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
> what my authors write in.
> -ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
> -find and replace across a whole project

I would echo [0] those that suggest an advanced text editor. Looking at
your requirements you might be happier with that. Don't be put off by the
phrase "advanced text editor" because I think getting your head around
using one of these is easier than learning how to use a "WYSIWYG" editor
personally. I do have Dreamweaver (I got it for practically no money as I
work at a University) but I've never been much good at figuring it all out,
to me it seems to make life very complicated compared to just using a good
text editor. I can't suggest a text editor in particular for you because I
use a Mac and don't know the Windows world very well. However there are
many excellent text editors for Windows.

With the text editor you will want GREP (regular expressions) searching and
multi-file/disc searching.

The multi-file/disc searching will achieve the "find and replace across a
whole project" requirement you mention. If you haven't used GREP before you
will be surprised how easy it is to pick up. The basics can be learned in
an afternoon. It is easier to figure out than learning some new application
and once you have the idea of GREP it will be a great friend to you in
creating web-pages. With a fairly basic knowledge of GREP for example you
will easily be able to "remove all span tags" or "all attributes from p,
etc" or have the "ability to select the contents of a tag with or without
the tag" . An advanced text editor will most likely allow you to save GREP
expressions and so you can create your own custom "cleaning" expressions
suited ideally to your situation.

My text editor BBEdit (Mac only) does do FTP but in fact your FTP request
will be easily accomplished with a separate FTP client. My FTP client has a
"mirror" capability where it matches the contents of a file on my computer
with the directory on the server. So, it only changes the files that have
been changed. This is a common enough capability and I'm sure there are
even free FTP clients that will do this.

I don't know if the text editors for Windows include HTML validation
by-and-large but this is bound to be available. On my Mac I use the iCab
web-browser but once again this is Mac only.

[0] but not in a PHP kind of a way

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Sid

On 9 Apr 2007 13:02:44 -0700, "Lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
: been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
: now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
: laptop.

Ask for the update, or download it? Isn't your registration details
current?

I would stick to Homesite as it's fabulous!

Sid

Toby A Inkster

Lisa wrote:

> -integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed

FTP is an insecure protocol that sends your both password and your files
across the Internet unencrypted. I'd advise against using FTP and moving
towards something like SCP or SFTP.

Most hosts that support those protocols also support Rsync, which is a
fantastic tool for synchronising large collections of files. Not only does
it only copy across files that have been changed, for large files it
actually inspects *inside* the file and only sends across the *parts* of
the files that are different.

It's a command-line tool, but there are various GUI wrappers available for
it.

> -link checking

I'd advise an online tool for this -- there are plenty of them, and
they'll save your bandwidth.

Try "Tidy" <http://tidy.sf.net/>

> -find and replace across a whole project

Many text editors offer this. My current favourites are Nedit, SciTE and
TextWrangler.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Bergamot

BootNic wrote:

> http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/
>
> Vary similar to Homesite 5.

IMO, this is what will make it worth the small purchase price:
http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/...hp?id=filefind

Multi-line extended search and replace is one of the best features of HS
and rarely found in other apps. If I ever feel the need to replace my
HS, WeBuilder looks like a very good choice indeed.

--
Berg

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote :
> On 9 Apr, 21:02, "Lisa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
>> been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
>> now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
>> laptop.
>> Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
>> the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
>> -integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
>> -link checking
>> -orphan file/image checking
>> -html validation
>> -css editor
>> -ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
>> -it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
>> ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
>> what my authors write in.
>> -ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
>> -find and replace across a whole project
>>
>> I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thanks,
>> Lisa

> I use DW 8

How much DW 8 costs? And does it produce valid markup code out of the
box? Does it have the latest HTML Tidy built-in? Does it help fix CSS
parsing errors? etc.. You should expect a huge difference in
performance, quality, support, etc.. when buying a product like DW 8.

and I'm very happy with it, but DW CS3 is out soon

How many hundreds of dollars will it cost?
I ask this because I know that there are free open-source software
(FOSS) available out there which, thanks to extensions - also free,
upgradable, localizable -, can do as much as the latest DW can and
without the flaws and weaknesses of DW. That's my opinion.

Gérard