Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Zyxel 2602HW doesn't ring for incoming calls

Zyxel 2602HW doesn't ring for incoming calls

HVB

I'm hoping someone might have an answer to this - it's been bugging me
all afternoon.

I have previously had this router working with sipgate and it was fine
for both incoming and outgoing calls. However, it's been in the
cupboard for a couple of months and I've dusted it off, reset it and
tried getting it to work again with partial success.

Outbound calls are fine.

Inbound calls appear, but the phone doesn't ring.

The Phone 1 (or Phone 2, depending on config) LED flashes, indicating
a call. If I lift the handset, the call is there and I can speak to
the caller. If the caller hangs up before I answer, the LED will
continue to flash, which looks wrong. If I lift and replace the
handset, the LED will go out.

The manual is rather unhelpful for troubleshooting.

I've tried various combinations of settings and hardware, but nothing
will make that phone ring. Before some wag suggests... I have checked
that the ringer is not set to OFF on the base of the phone. It rings
just fine plugged into a normal BT line and it has worked before with
this router.

Firmware is V3.40(MF.3) | 01/05/2006

Any ideas?

HVB

Martin≤

Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
supply it.
Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...
Regards,
Martin

HVB

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:57:41 +0100, "Martin≤" wrote:

>Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
>should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
>supply it.

Yes. At least I think the answer is yes. I have a BT plug to RJ11
converter, but is it the one that came with the router? I'm not
absolutely certain - I found it in "my big box o' cables". I'll have
a hunt for another one, I know two were supplied.

Thanks for the idea!

>Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...

Yep, done that. "Incoming Call apply to" Phone1 - though I've tried
various combinations.

HVB

John Naismith

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:31:41 +0100, HVB <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 03:57:41 +0100, "Martin²" wrote:
>
>>Are you using a "BT plug to US plug converter" with ringer circuit ? This
>>should have come with the router, but I believe sometimes they did not
>>supply it.

>Yes. At least I think the answer is yes. I have a BT plug to RJ11
>converter, but is it the one that came with the router? I'm not
>absolutely certain - I found it in "my big box o' cables". I'll have
>a hunt for another one, I know two were supplied.
>
>Thanks for the idea!
>
>>Also, in the Voice setup you have to select which phone should ring...

>Yep, done that. "Incoming Call apply to" Phone1 - though I've tried
>various combinations.
>
>HVB

You need an adapter with a ring capacitor in it - available from any
branch of Maplin. You won't get either of the ports on the P2602HW to
ring ANY phone available in the UK direct from the port. Also avoid
Panasonic DECT phones like the plague as even with a ring cap adaptor
they have proved problematic with the P2602HW.

PS - I'm assuming you DO have the P2602HW and not one of the
"lifeline" models? The lifeline models have PSTN fallback and a wholly
different hardware arrangement for the phone ports.
--
John Naismith

alexd

John Naismith wrote:

> Also avoid Panasonic DECT phones like the plague as even with a ring cap
> adaptor they have proved problematic with the P2602HW.

Just in case anyone was wondering, Panasonic DECT phones work fine with
other ATAs. In fact I'm using mine with a Grandstream 486 and no ring
adaptor, although I'm not sure if the Grandstream even needs one. SMS and
alphanumeric CLID work fine. If SMS is on, the Panasonic takes an extra
ring cycle to start ringing.

20:44:44 up 2 days, 7:03, 2 users, load average: 0.68, 1.02, 0.81
Yes. I'm just guessing.