Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Browsers not recognize my plugins

Browsers not recognize my plugins

Will Renkel

I have a problem in getting either Firefox or netscape to recognize
that I have such things as Quicktime installed.
When I go to a website that has files that would normally be played by these "plugins"
the browser says it isnt there.
I have installed/re-installed both the browsers and the software such as Quicktime
I have the latest versions of all
Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Win2K - latest patches

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

Leonidas Jones

Will Renkel wrote:
> I have a problem in getting either Firefox or netscape to recognize
> that I have such things as Quicktime installed.
> When I go to a website that has files that would normally be played by these "plugins"
> the browser says it isnt there.
> I have installed/re-installed both the browsers and the software such as Quicktime
> I have the latest versions of all
> Any ideas as to what is wrong?
>
> Win2K - latest patches

Give links to the problem sites, so we can test.

As a guess, the most likely thing is that QT has grabbed the swf
association. What you are trying to view is probably a Flash movie,
rather then a QT file. The answer is to open QT preferences and
unselect the association for flash files.

Lee

Will Renkel

>Will Renkel wrote:
>> I have a problem in getting either Firefox or netscape to recognize
>> that I have such things as Quicktime installed.
>> When I go to a website that has files that would normally be played by these "plugins"
>> the browser says it isnt there.
>> I have installed/re-installed both the browsers and the software such as Quicktime
>> I have the latest versions of all
>> Any ideas as to what is wrong?
>>
>> Win2K - latest patches
>>

>Give links to the problem sites, so we can test.
>
>As a guess, the most likely thing is that QT has grabbed the swf
>association. What you are trying to view is probably a Flash movie,
>rather then a QT file. The answer is to open QT preferences and
>unselect the association for flash files.
>
>Lee

site: http://www.xnet.com/~renkel
should hear a dog bark and a saying about bluegrass
I hear only the bluegrass saying
and it says it cant find quicktime
for a wav file

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

Leonidas Jones

Will Renkel wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Will Renkel wrote:
> >> I have a problem in getting either Firefox or netscape to recognize
> >> that I have such things as Quicktime installed.
> >> When I go to a website that has files that would normally be played by these "plugins"
> >> the browser says it isnt there.
> >> I have installed/re-installed both the browsers and the software such as Quicktime
> >> I have the latest versions of all
> >> Any ideas as to what is wrong?
> >>
> >> Win2K - latest patches
> >>

> >Give links to the problem sites, so we can test.
> >
> >As a guess, the most likely thing is that QT has grabbed the swf
> >association. What you are trying to view is probably a Flash movie,
> >rather then a QT file. The answer is to open QT preferences and
> >unselect the association for flash files.
> >
> >Lee

> site: http://www.xnet.com/~renkel
> should hear a dog bark and a saying about bluegrass
> I hear only the bluegrass saying
> and it says it cant find quicktime
> for a wav file

Well, if its of any solace, both sound files play correctly from here.
Type aboutlugins into the location bar, what does it say about Quick Time?

Lee

Will Renkel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Will Renkel wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> >Give links to the problem sites, so we can test.
>> >
>> >As a guess, the most likely thing is that QT has grabbed the swf
>> >association. What you are trying to view is probably a Flash movie,
>> >rather then a QT file. The answer is to open QT preferences and
>> >unselect the association for flash files.
>> >
>> >Lee

>> site: http://www.xnet.com/~renkel
>> should hear a dog bark and a saying about bluegrass
>> I hear only the bluegrass saying
>> and it says it cant find quicktime
>> for a wav file
>>

>Well, if its of any solace, both sound files play correctly from here.
>Type aboutlugins into the location bar, what does it say about Quick Time?
>
>Lee

Thats what a friend of mine heard also
The aboutlugins shows quicktime amd windows media player
BUT nothing to deal with the "wav" suffix.
Is there a way to add that?

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

Leonidas Jones

Will Renkel wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Will Renkel wrote:

> >> site: http://www.xnet.com/~renkel
> >> should hear a dog bark and a saying about bluegrass
> >> I hear only the bluegrass saying
> >> and it says it cant find quicktime
> >> for a wav file
> >>

> >Well, if its of any solace, both sound files play correctly from here.
> >Type aboutlugins into the location bar, what does it say about Quick Time?
> >
> >Lee

> Thats what a friend of mine heard also
> The aboutlugins shows quicktime amd windows media player
> BUT nothing to deal with the "wav" suffix.
> Is there a way to add that?

Look in QT preferences and see if wav is associated with QT.

Lee

Will Renkel

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>Will Renkel wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> >Well, if its of any solace, both sound files play correctly from here.
>> >Type aboutlugins into the location bar, what does it say about Quick Time?
>> >
>> >Lee

>> Thats what a friend of mine heard also
>> The aboutlugins shows quicktime amd windows media player
>> BUT nothing to deal with the "wav" suffix.
>> Is there a way to add that?
>>

>Look in QT preferences and see if wav is associated with QT.
>
>Lee

Yup - qtime has wav checked in file types
It was set to Media playsr in Syetem File Types
I changed system setting but that did not help either.
Is it possible that you cant change the mime type settings inside the browser
unless you re-install quicktime with mime stuff set to desired?
Like once inside the browser it cant be changed easily?

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

On Apr 9, 12:44 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Will Renkel) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Will Renkel wrote:

> >> Thats what a friend of mine heard also
> >> The aboutlugins shows quicktime amd windows media player
> >> BUT nothing to deal with the "wav" suffix.
> >> Is there a way to add that?
> >>

> >Look in QT preferences and see if wav is associated with QT.
> >
> >Lee

> Yup - qtime has wav checked in file types
> It was set to Media playsr in Syetem File Types
> I changed system setting but that did not help either.
> Is it possible that you cant change the mime type settings inside the browser
> unless you re-install quicktime with mime stuff set to desired?
> Like once inside the browser it cant be changed easily?

close FF, make your changes in QT, then reopen FF.

Will Renkel

thats what I do all the time
no effect

Will Renkel