Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unreadable graphics

Unreadable graphics

Maurice

This is a real weirdy. I have a number of photos saved in a folder.
Thirteen of the pictures I renamed but can't now remember why. I have also
created backup images of that whole partition into an external drive. I have
done it twice using Norton Ghost and Acronis and please note, each of these
images were created at the end of last year. Never let it be said I don't
back up!

I am absolutely sure I have accessed and even printed those pictures from
the internal drive since first saving them but all of a sudden I can no
longer access twelve of them. One is fine, together with all the other
unaltered pictures in that folder but the other twelve all bring up messages
such as "cannot recognise the format/may be corrupt" etc.etc. and this is
the same on four programmes I have that read graphics.

Looking at the properties of the errant files they all show that they are
..jpg's and show the amount of data contained therein.

One of the pictures in that folder was added only a few days ago, being a
cropped version of an existing picture file. Now here is the really odd
thing. I naturally assumed that if there was a corruption issue all I had to
do was access either or both of my partition images and I would find my
pictures there and access them there but I find that when opening the IMAGE
folder from the EXTERNAL drive for those pictures it shows every file from
the internal folder BUT INCLUDING THE ONE I ADDED TO THE INTERNAL FOLDER
ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO (and not backed up to the external)......and still I
can't access any of the twelve. How is that possible?

--
Maurice

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Maurice wrote:
> This is a real weirdy. I have a number of photos saved in a folder.
> Thirteen of the pictures I renamed but can't now remember why. I have also
> created backup images of that whole partition into an external drive. I have
> done it twice using Norton Ghost and Acronis and please note, each of these
> images were created at the end of last year. Never let it be said I don't
> back up!
>
> I am absolutely sure I have accessed and even printed those pictures from
> the internal drive since first saving them but all of a sudden I can no
> longer access twelve of them. One is fine, together with all the other
> unaltered pictures in that folder but the other twelve all bring up messages
> such as "cannot recognise the format/may be corrupt" etc.etc. and this is
> the same on four programmes I have that read graphics.
>
> Looking at the properties of the errant files they all show that they are
> .jpg's and show the amount of data contained therein.
>
> One of the pictures in that folder was added only a few days ago, being a
> cropped version of an existing picture file. Now here is the really odd
> thing. I naturally assumed that if there was a corruption issue all I had to
> do was access either or both of my partition images and I would find my
> pictures there and access them there but I find that when opening the IMAGE
> folder from the EXTERNAL drive for those pictures it shows every file from
> the internal folder BUT INCLUDING THE ONE I ADDED TO THE INTERNAL FOLDER
> ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO (and not backed up to the external)......and still I
> can't access any of the twelve. How is that possible?

Maybe your backup is only shortcuts to the internal drive. What did you
rename the files? Did you follow naming conventions?

thanatoid

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VnoSh.5247$(E-Mail Removed):

> This is a real weirdy.

<SNIP>

> Looking at the properties of the errant files they all show
> that they are .jpg's and show the amount of data contained
> therein.

<SNIP>

I've run into a similar problem. Sometimes it is possible to
convert the "unreadable file" into BMP or whatever (I do it in
ACDSee since it won't even open in my editor) and go on from
there.

It's Windows. Be glad it doesn't burn you with a match every
time you start it up.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am absolutely sure I have accessed and even printed those pictures from
>the internal drive since first saving them but all of a sudden I can no
>longer access twelve of them. One is fine, together with all the other
>unaltered pictures in that folder but the other twelve all bring up messages
>such as "cannot recognise the format/may be corrupt" etc.etc. and this is
>the same on four programmes I have that read graphics.

To add:

Drop and drag one of the "corrupt" graphic files (I assume a Jpg
file), into Notepad.

If you don't see JFIF in the first line, the header is messed up and
the file corrupt.

-It's easier to read a file with a hexeditor but notepad will work for
a Jpg.
--
http://youneed2see.com/web/137/Stumb...days_(Pictures)

Maurice

Thanks for the replies and to respond to them in the order received:-

1) The behaviour would indeed look like my image back-ups are pointing to
the internal drive but how could that happen? Each image was created on to
an external drive so why would that now point to the internal drive? Not
sure what the naming conventions are but I have renamed many files in the
past and never had this happen. I've used entire partition images many times
to overcome serious crashing/system corruption problems and it always works
a dream with no apparent reference or pointing to the partition (and its
faults) that it is replacing

2) I tried changing the file type but as I can't open them I can't change
them and just changing the suffix does nothing. I tried ACDSee to no avail.
It doesn't do any more than my existing paint and file management apps. do.

3) Thanks for the tip about viewing in Notepad. You are right, none of the
bad files has the JFIF line. I looked at other graphics files the same way.
All the good ones had either JFIF (jpg) or Exif (that was the one of the
altered thirteen that does open) or BM-- presumably bitmap. So it looks as
if the files are still there but not get-at'able. My daughter's wedding too.
I'll just have to go back to Australia and tell her to go through it all
again..................as long as I don't have to make a speech again
--
Maurice

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am absolutely sure I have accessed and even printed those pictures from
>>the internal drive since first saving them but all of a sudden I can no
>>longer access twelve of them. One is fine, together with all the other
>>unaltered pictures in that folder but the other twelve all bring up
>>messages
>>such as "cannot recognise the format/may be corrupt" etc.etc. and this is
>>the same on four programmes I have that read graphics.

> To add:
>
> Drop and drag one of the "corrupt" graphic files (I assume a Jpg
> file), into Notepad.
>
> If you don't see JFIF in the first line, the header is messed up and
> the file corrupt.
>
> -It's easier to read a file with a hexeditor but notepad will work for
> a Jpg.
> --
> http://youneed2see.com/web/137/Stumb...days_(Pictures)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Maurice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the replies and to respond to them in the order received:-
>
>1) The behaviour would indeed look like my image back-ups are pointing to
>the internal drive but how could that happen? Each image was created on to
>an external drive so why would that now point to the internal drive? Not
>sure what the naming conventions are but I have renamed many files in the
>past and never had this happen. I've used entire partition images many times
>to overcome serious crashing/system corruption problems and it always works
>a dream with no apparent reference or pointing to the partition (and its
>faults) that it is replacing

In explorer detail view, check the size of the files, if just a short
cut it will only be a few K in size.

>2) I tried changing the file type but as I can't open them I can't change
>them and just changing the suffix does nothing. I tried ACDSee to no avail.
>It doesn't do any more than my existing paint and file management apps. do.
>
>3) Thanks for the tip about viewing in Notepad. You are right, none of the
>bad files has the JFIF line. I looked at other graphics files the same way.
>All the good ones had either JFIF (jpg) or Exif (that was the one of the
>altered thirteen that does open) or BM-- presumably bitmap. So it looks as
>if the files are still there but not get-at'able. My daughter's wedding too.
>I'll just have to go back to Australia and tell her to go through it all
>again..................as long as I don't have to make a speech again

To find out what files your working with you can upload one or two
here http://mark0.net/onlinetrid.aspx or download the stand alone
program http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html to see what your working
with.
--