Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Video format

Video format

S S

I have a Canon `Power shot` A70

I have taken some video clips but they wont play back on PC, I am using
Windows media player.
Error message is :- `File extension not recognised` .THM format.

The camera used to play back video clips OK so maybe I have changed
something that I am not aware of.
Can anyone help me with this.

thanks

Bucky

On Apr 9, 12:20 am, "S S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have taken some video clips but they wont play back on PC, I am using
> Windows media player.
> Error message is :- `File extension not recognised` .THM format.

you're not supposed to play the .thm files. You can delete them, I'm
not even sure what they're used for. Play the .avi files instead.

S S

Thanks thats working.
You can tell I dont use video often. Duh!

Thank you.

"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Apr 9, 12:20 am, "S S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have taken some video clips but they wont play back on PC, I am using
>> Windows media player.
>> Error message is :- `File extension not recognised` .THM format.

> you're not supposed to play the .thm files. You can delete them, I'm
> not even sure what they're used for. Play the .avi files instead.

Mark B.

"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Apr 9, 12:20 am, "S S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have taken some video clips but they wont play back on PC, I am using
>> Windows media player.
>> Error message is :- `File extension not recognised` .THM format.

> you're not supposed to play the .thm files. You can delete them, I'm
> not even sure what they're used for. Play the .avi files instead.

The .thm is just a thumbnail of the video, it's a .jpg with a different
extension.

Mark

JC Dill

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 06:15:54 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> On Apr 9, 12:20 am, "S S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I have taken some video clips but they wont play back on PC, I am using
>>> Windows media player.
>>> Error message is :- `File extension not recognised` .THM format.

>> you're not supposed to play the .thm files. You can delete them, I'm
>> not even sure what they're used for. Play the .avi files instead.
>>

>The .thm is just a thumbnail of the video, it's a .jpg with a different
>extension.

I believe the .thm files are small jpegs used to display the still
image in your camera screen when you scroll thru all the files (photos
and videos) in playback mode.

They can be renamed .jpg and used for thumbnails on your computer,
website, etc. They are quite useful as thumbnails, if you need
thumbnails of this size. Otherwise just discard them.

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

Bucky

On Apr 9, 8:02 am, JC Dill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> They can be renamed .jpg and used for thumbnails on your computer,
> website, etc. They are quite useful as thumbnails, if you need
> thumbnails of this size. Otherwise just discard them.

ah, thanks, I never knew that. I had always assumed it was a "theme"
metadata file or something.