Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Questions on OEM Windows Vista package.

Questions on OEM Windows Vista package.

** Frank **

What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
Don't care about phone support.

I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is it?
Thanks in advance.

Jerry Attic

"** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
> package? Don't care about phone support.

Nothing, except you already know about no support for M$. Considering their
tech support SUCKS, it shouldn't matter then.

> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
> road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

If it's anything like XP, it will be a pain in the ass.

Jerry

Flyer

"** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
> Don't care about phone support.
>
> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
> individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
> fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
> it? Thanks in advance.

strictly speaking, my understanding is, the OEM version is tied to the pc
you install it on. The retail version can be installed on any pc, but only
one pc.

P.

Flying Rat

In article <Xns990D1A79574CEicantwank@217.22.228.20>,
(E-Mail Removed)0m says...
> "** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
> > package? Don't care about phone support.

> Nothing, except you already know about no support for M$. Considering their
> tech support SUCKS, it shouldn't matter then.

OEM is supposed to be supported by the PC builder, so if you buy one
from McDangle Computers and have problems with Vista then you ring them
and not Microsoft. So if you use OEM versions as a self-builder then you
support it yourself.

> > I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
> > the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
> > road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
> > restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

> If it's anything like XP, it will be a pain in the ass.

it's supposed to be considerably worse. Vista is apparently much more
anal about hardware changes.

FR

Flirt

"** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
> Don't care about phone support.
>
> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
> individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
> fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
> it? Thanks in advance.

You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista. (Unless you are thinking
of one of those dubious ebay offers?)
The OEM version is a license for bulk manufacturers to pre-install
a version of Vista on a product range. And it is locked to that model.
With MS Vista in all it's incarnations, once installed is also locked to
use on one PC, But of course upgrading is permitted, there are the
usual validation tools etc. in your example of a MoBo upgrade, this
is an example but here in UK, if purchasing a new MB from the likes
of PC World etc, at time, they have a database, you enter your key,
the next scan of win update and it will reference that database etc.
And as with XP, major changes may require a phonecall.

Shoo

** Frank ** wrote:
> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
> package? Don't care about phone support.
> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
> road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

From
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...vationfaq.mspx

"The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired
Windows Vista. For example:

a.. If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or
pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will
require re-activation if you, for example:

a.. Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.

b.. Replace the motherboard."

From personal experience if you make a lot of changes or reinstal frequently
you may have to ring up for activation.
They ask why you need to reactivate and how many computers you have the
product installed on.
You reply "I changed the motherboard or whatever" and "only one computer"
then they give you a very long code to write down and key in.

Whiskers

On 2007-04-09, Shoo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ** Frank ** wrote:
>> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista
>> package? Don't care about phone support.
>> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
>> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the
>> road gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
>> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.

> From
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...vationfaq.mspx
>
> "The Windows Vista re-activation process may vary based on how you acquired
> Windows Vista. For example:
>
> a.. If you acquired Windows Vista via retail purchase (boxed product) or
> pre-installed on a computer from a local computer vendor, Windows Vista will
> require re-activation if you, for example:
>
> a.. Replace the hard disk drive and memory at the same time.
>
> b.. Replace the motherboard."
>
> From personal experience if you make a lot of changes or reinstal frequently
> you may have to ring up for activation.
> They ask why you need to reactivate and how many computers you have the
> product installed on.
> You reply "I changed the motherboard or whatever" and "only one computer"
> then they give you a very long code to write down and key in.

Sheesh. People actually put up with this sort of thing /and/ pay for it?
I thought the EULA for Windows 98SE was pretty ghastly, but it was
positively libertarian compared with that.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

WhzzKdd

"Flirt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:evd5di$49v$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
>> Don't care about phone support.
>>
>> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into the
>> individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road gets
>> fried. Also I change components more than average so how restrictive is
>> it? Thanks in advance.
>>

> You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista.

Wrong. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp

I did.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tion=vista+oem

Flirt

news:XAsSh.23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Flirt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:evd5di$49v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "** Frank **" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> What's the difference between the retail and OEM Windows Vista package?
>>> Don't care about phone support.
>>>
>>> I want to buy the OEM 3 user license but don't want to be locked into
>>> the individual computer system if the motherboard sometime down the road
>>> gets fried. Also I change components more than average so how
>>> restrictive is it? Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> You cannot buy an OEM version of Vista.

> Wrong. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp
>
> I did.