Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > OT: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

OT: DECT phone with really good range - any recommendations?

Tim

Brian A wrote:
> If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like this, I'd look
> at improving the aerial. It is a pity these devices don't have an
> aerial socket. To use an external aerial you'd have to open up the
> base station and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
> articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all depends on how
> confident you are about the electronics side of it.

Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

So, if you were to connect a 2.4Ghz antenna then the VSWR would probably
kill the transmitter over time.

One of the very good things about Dect is that it has its own frequency
band. Only Dect devices operate here, so there is very little chance of
interference. For this to work, everything has to work within the Dect
standard, and I guess this includes transmit power levels.

If you do want to go further, then we believe that the BT diverse
repeater will work with the C460IP. It is also a Siemens product.

I haven't tried it yet.

Tim

Brian A

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:22:27 +0100, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian A wrote:
>> If I wanted to increase the range, of any device like this, I'd look
>> at improving the aerial. It is a pity these devices don't have an
>> aerial socket. To use an external aerial you'd have to open up the
>> base station and make a suiable connection. There are plenty of
>> articles on the Net for homebrew 2.4GHz aerials. It all depends on how
>> confident you are about the electronics side of it.
>>

>Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

Yes, I wasn't very clear. I did mean with modification. Many of the
aerial plans do allow for use at other frequencies.

>So, if you were to connect a 2.4Ghz antenna then the VSWR would probably
>kill the transmitter over time.

At such low power I don't think there would be a problem. If the 'PA'
is going to go it'll go quickly. So much better in the valve days -
when they started to glow red you knew there was a problem and could
switch off - semiconductors go into thermal runaway and that's end of
story. I did hear of one chap who coverd a golf course with a rabbit
base station with an aerial attached.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Roger Baker

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:22:27 +0100, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Except Dect runs on 1880-1900 MHz.

Tim,

Thanks for this. I too had always understood DECT to be circa 1900Mhz.

I am intrigued why people sometimes need to move their DECT base
stations away from their WiFi access points or change WiFi channel to
avoid drop outs. Maybe the front end of these devices is wide open?

Roger.

Tim

Roger Baker wrote:

> Thanks for this. I too had always understood DECT to be circa 1900Mhz.
>
> I am intrigued why people sometimes need to move their DECT base
> stations away from their WiFi access points or change WiFi channel to
> avoid drop outs. Maybe the front end of these devices is wide open?

You are probably correct.

I've not had a problem with wifi.

But do know of problems with using the new (chinese) BT Dect phones when
the dect base is next to a some Freeview set top boxes.

If the problems were wifi, then the problem may not have been Dect but
something else. But changing the wifi channel helps. For example, Wifi
channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some reason I've
never been able to explain.

Tim

Roger Baker

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 11:04:51 +0100, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>something else. But changing the wifi channel helps. For example, Wifi
>channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some reason I've
>never been able to explain.

Could it be that some of the items in your office are using WiFi cards
designed for the USA market? I don't think they allow channels 11 & 12
in the USA.

I have a Linksys WMB54G Music Bridge purched in the USA and it only
has WiFi channels 1 to 11.

Reger.

Tim

Roger Baker wrote:
> Could it be that some of the items in your office are using WiFi cards
> designed for the USA market? I don't think they allow channels 11 & 12
> in the USA.

I don't think so. We've tried lots of different wifi devices. And they
work fine on 12 in other places.

Tim

alexd

Tim wrote:

> For example, Wifi channel 12 is completely unusable in my office, for some
> reason I've never been able to explain.

Could be other users on the channel. As you alluded to in an earlier post,
WiFi has to share the 2.4GHz band with a whole host of other devices, so it
could be almost anything from CCTV to a dodgy imported cordless phone.

18:26:58 up 1 day, 4:45, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.26, 0.31
Yes. I'm just guessing.

Tim

alexd wrote:

> Could be other users on the channel. As you alluded to in an earlier post,
> WiFi has to share the 2.4GHz band with a whole host of other devices, so it
> could be almost anything from CCTV to a dodgy imported cordless phone.

Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
really good thing.

Tim

alexd

Tim wrote:

> Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
> really good thing.

How many DECT "channels" are there? How many sets of one handset + one base
station could one have in the same room making calls at once? If you've got
too many too close together, do you get a busy tone or does the handset
just fail to register with the base station?

20:33:37 up 2 days, 6:52, 2 users, load average: 0.80, 0.68, 0.52
Yes. I'm just guessing.

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Tim wrote:
>
>> Which goes back to saying that the dedicated spectrum for Dect is a
>> really good thing.

>How many DECT "channels" are there? How many sets of one handset + one base
>station could one have in the same room making calls at once? If you've got
>too many too close together, do you get a busy tone or does the handset
>just fail to register with the base station?

I've never been able to work this out, but AIUI, there are professional
DECT solutions that can handle over 100 sepatate phones, each individually
addressable.

At one client site, I've got 5 basestations in one room, (3 siemens
CP460IPs, one on a fax machine, one a BT unit) all working OK - but when
I power-up an el-cheapo USB DECT phone that they have in the same room,
it breaks most of the others, I think it's the USB phone base that is the
issue, not the fact that there are too many DECT basestations - it's just
cheape skype rubbish as far as I'm concerned, and best off in the bin.

Gordon