Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox is already running....

Firefox is already running....

Dan C

I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
(there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
computer."

But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
the problem.

How is this solved?

Regards,

Dan

Miller

*Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
> computer."
>
> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
> the problem.

I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
"parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.

HTH, Miller

Dan C

Miller wrote:
> *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
>> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
>> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
>> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
>> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
>> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
>> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
>> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
>> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
>> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
>> computer."
>>
>> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
>> the problem.

> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>
> HTH, Miller

Miller,

Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
difference.

Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

Dan

Miller

*Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
> Miller wrote:
>> *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
>>> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
>>> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
>>> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
>>> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
>>> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
>>> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
>>> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
>>> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
>>> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
>>> computer."
>>>
>>> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
>>> the problem.

>> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
>> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
>> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>>
>> HTH, Miller

> Miller,
>
> Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
> difference.
>
> Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
Windows-profile?
If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
under Windows.

cu, Miller

Dan C

Miller wrote:
> *Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
>> Miller wrote:

>>> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
>>> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
>>> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>>>
>>> HTH, Miller

>> Miller,
>>
>> Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
>> difference.
>>
>> Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

> Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
> with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
> Windows-profile?
> If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
> under Windows.
>
> cu, Miller

I did check with Taskmanager, and it is definitely not
running. On boot up, going to the user in question, I get
error message, not so on the primary user. And it does
not show up in TM then either.

To clarify, FF under secondary profile would start up
"before" I copied the user profile.

Dan

Miller

Let me ask another question. Did you copy the first profile with
kind of explorer, etc. *over* the second profile *at whole*?
(I mean the whole profile as it is?)

You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
that FF needs to find the correct data.
At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
paths needed by FF.
If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
correct folders.

HTH, BM
[I'm no native English-speaker, so just ask if you don't understand
what i mean. ]

Dan C

Miller wrote:

> Let me ask another question. Did you copy the first profile with
> kind of explorer, etc. *over* the second profile *at whole*?
> (I mean the whole profile as it is?)
>
> You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
> that FF needs to find the correct data.
> At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
> In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
> which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
> Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
> paths needed by FF.
> If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
> another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
> correct folders.
>
> HTH, BM
> [I'm no native English-speaker, so just ask if you don't understand
> what i mean. ]

You are communicating well, I would not have known you
were non native English communicator.

Miller,

I did not copy over the other profile, I renamed old one
under that user and copied into proper directory.

I did find and edit the profiles.ini and gave it a try and
FF loaded up properly.

I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
open it. And do I really need to change since, it seems,
my opening of FF worked. Now there may be some other
problem show up that entails a change.

Dan

Miller

*Dan C* wrote on 10.04.07 04:33:
> Miller wrote:

>> You should know, that in the profiles some paths are stored
>> that FF needs to find the correct data.
>> At first there is the "profiles.ini", directly under blabla..\Mozilla\Firefox
>> In the "profiles.ini" there's a line like "Path=Profiles/vxyo0dte.FF 2.0"
>> which tells FF where the appropriate profile is located.
>> Next there is the the "prefs.js" *in* the profile which can contain also
>> paths needed by FF.
>> If you simply copy the whole profile from one user-account to
>> another you have at least to modify these paths to point to the
>> correct folders.

> I did find and edit the profiles.ini and gave it a try and
> FF loaded up properly.

Sounds good so far.

> I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
> open it.

The "prefs.js" is only a simple textfile which you can open and edit
with a plain-text-editor like notepad.

> And do I really need to change since, it seems,
> my opening of FF worked. Now there may be some other
> problem show up that entails a change.

As long as you don't get any further errors you can of course
leave "prefs.js" as it is. Depending on the data stored in the
"prefs.js" you could get some other errors in the future, because
FF _could_ use or store data in the wrong profile. So maybe it's
worth to take a look to the "prefs.js" in your new profile just to make
sure, that there are no paths pointing to the old profile.

cu, Miller

On Apr 9, 9:38 pm, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *Dan C* wrote on 10.04.07 04:33:
> > I did not change prefs.js because I am unable to properly
> > open it.

> The "prefs.js" is only a simple textfile which you can open and edit
> with a plain-text-editor like notepad.

The prefs.js file is a javascript file. Double clicking on it won't
open it. You have to open it from within another program, such as
notepad or wordpad or whatever.