Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > computer not booting

computer not booting

lucky33

I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
off of the new HD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gazwad

lucky33 <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dowdy-shopping-bag-man and
obtrusive peanut popper who likes illicit meat beating with xenopus, and
whose partner is a woman of accomodating morals with a slimy muffhole,
wrote in <(E-Mail Removed) .com>:
>I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
> a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
> would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
> both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
> installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
> short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
> it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
> to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
> possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
> off of the new HD.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Remove all cables from both hard drives.
check to see if the system boots reliably and consistently.

is but a dream within a dream.

Shel-hed

On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
>a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
>would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
>both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
>installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
>short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
>it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
>to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
>possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
>off of the new HD.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re-seat all memory and cards.
It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

lucky33

On Apr 7, 4:43 pm, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
> >a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
> >would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
> >both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
> >installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
> >short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
> >it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
> >to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
> >possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
> >off of the new HD.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Re-seat all memory and cards.
> It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

Guy at the computer store told me the EID port on the motherboard was
probably going bad. Looking at buying a GX150 barebone of ebay for
less than new motherboard.

Mara

On 7 Apr 2007 17:06:41 -0700, "lucky33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Apr 7, 4:43 pm, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 7 Apr 2007 06:11:15 -0700, "lucky33" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a gateway computer Thursday night it did not boot. I purchased
>> >a new HD and installed and hooked up with the old HD hoping that it
>> >would see it so that I could get my data off. It booted fine and saw
>> >both hard drives. When I thought everything was ok I started
>> >installing my software which required a reboot. To make a long story
>> >short the computer did not restart, sometimes it boots and sometimes
>> >it does not. Is it possible that the EDI cable hooking the hard drives
>> >to the motherboard might have a short in it?? That is the only
>> >possible solution that I can think of? The computer will not even boot
>> >off of the new HD.

>> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> Re-seat all memory and cards.
>> It's probably a bad power supply though. A very common problem.

>Guy at the computer store told me the EID port on the motherboard was
>probably going bad. Looking at buying a GX150 barebone of ebay for
>less than new motherboard.

I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
this, although I'd try a different ribbon and molex connector first before I
bought a new PS. And make sure, if you're running two hard drives on the same
cable, that they're jumpered correctly.

--
<AB> . o O (Years from now, when the aliens are sifting through our
fossilized remnants, they're going to come to one inescapable

Shel-hed

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
>this,

When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.

bad ports bad ports
Whatcha gonna do...
Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
Bad ports...

Shel-hed

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:42:46 -0600, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
>>
>>bad ports bad ports
>>Whatcha gonna do...
>>Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
>>Bad ports...

>See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
>the edge eventually.

Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we speak!

Mara

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:37:04 -0600, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I very much doubt the IDE port is going bad. I'm with That Other Guy Up There on
>>this,

>When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
>
>bad ports bad ports
>Whatcha gonna do...
>Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
>Bad ports...

See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
the edge eventually.

--
You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-

Mara

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 03:21:44 GMT, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 21:42:46 -0600, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 01:46:19 GMT, Shel-hed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>When good ports go baad.. With the LA Speshul geek unit.
>>>
>>>bad ports bad ports
>>>Whatcha gonna do...
>>>Whatcha gonna do when your data is screwed
>>>Bad ports...

>>See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
>>the edge eventually.

>Huh? She's not buried! She has taken up cooking, and is stewing as we speak!

You can't do that. That's vince's job.

--
You don't change the way people think by changing what they say.
You change the way people think with HEADLESS CHARRED BODIES FLY-
ING THROUGH THE AIR. BLOOD! FLAMES! HELLFIRE AND DAMNATION!
-- AY, in the Monastery

The Old Sourdough

On 2007-04-08, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mara waxed eloquently:
snip

> See? I *knew* having Robyn buried in your backyard was going to send you over
> the edge eventually.

Hell, he's been over the edge for a loooong time...

--
The Old Sourdough
I never pray before meals -- my wife's a good cook.