Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Basic B/U query--did I make a mistake?

Basic B/U query--did I make a mistake?

MZB

I have an Inspiron 2200 and recently got Acronis True Image B/U.

I am backing up to an external WD hard drive.

I did my first full backup on 12/21/06 and just did an incremental B/U
today.

However, the default was to B/U only the C partition (NTFS--34 gb). There
are 2 other smaller partitions (FAT 16 and FAT 32-- 47 MB and 3 GB
respectively).

But those last 2 partitions did not have checkmarks and I didn't add any.
So, the default was the one partition.

Should I have done all 3 partitions??

If so, maybe I'll do a new total full B/U.

Mel

MZB

I don't know what's on the partitions. I assume it may be another copy of XP
or????? The laptop came this way

Mel
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 18:17:54 -0400, "MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have an Inspiron 2200 and recently got Acronis True Image B/U.
>>
>>I am backing up to an external WD hard drive.
>>
>>I did my first full backup on 12/21/06 and just did an incremental B/U
>>today.
>>
>>However, the default was to B/U only the C partition (NTFS--34 gb). There
>>are 2 other smaller partitions (FAT 16 and FAT 32-- 47 MB and 3 GB
>>respectively).
>>
>>But those last 2 partitions did not have checkmarks and I didn't add any.
>>So, the default was the one partition.
>>
>>Should I have done all 3 partitions??

> Depends. What's on those partitions. Do you want them backed up?

PeeCee

"MZB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kGzRh.250$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an Inspiron 2200 and recently got Acronis True Image B/U.
>
> I am backing up to an external WD hard drive.
>
> I did my first full backup on 12/21/06 and just did an incremental B/U
> today.
>
> However, the default was to B/U only the C partition (NTFS--34 gb). There
> are 2 other smaller partitions (FAT 16 and FAT 32-- 47 MB and 3 GB
> respectively).
>
> But those last 2 partitions did not have checkmarks and I didn't add any.
> So, the default was the one partition.
>
> Should I have done all 3 partitions??
>
> If so, maybe I'll do a new total full B/U.
>
> Mel

Mel

Backup: "To copy files to a second medium (a disk or tape) as a precaution
in case the first medium fails."

Which files to backup is entirely up to you.

Like a lot of things in life; to do something you need to know what to do
and what objects you want to do it to.

You have covered the first part (I want to back my files up)

The second (the objects or in this context your files) depends entirely what
you want to be able to recover should you have a media failure.
Instead of asking what is on the two second partitions, may I suggest you
should be asking where is the data that is important to you.
If the location of some of that data is on the second/third partition then
back it up.

Best
Paul.

Evan Platt

Star@*.*

wrote:

>I have an Inspiron 2200 and recently got Acronis True Image B/U.
>
>I am backing up to an external WD hard drive.
>
>I did my first full backup on 12/21/06 and just did an incremental B/U
>today.
>
>However, the default was to B/U only the C partition (NTFS--34 gb). There
>are 2 other smaller partitions (FAT 16 and FAT 32-- 47 MB and 3 GB
>respectively).
>
>But those last 2 partitions did not have checkmarks and I didn't add any.
>So, the default was the one partition.
>
>Should I have done all 3 partitions??
>
>If so, maybe I'll do a new total full B/U.
>
>Mel

Up to you.
The FAT 16 @ 47MB is the Dell Diagnostics. The FAT 32 @ 3 GB is a
image of your computer as installed at purchase.

Art