Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking Help

Networking Help

Pavel A.

Just in case... have you seen Google Answers?
It's exactly for one to one help
http://google.com/answers/

"Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do.
>

> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Carey Holzman wrote:
> >
> > Please see comments inline:
> >
> >> I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and
> >> harass me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other
> >> choice (being shooed away is not a choice).

> > I don't see that anyone is harassing you. Being asked to correct and/or
> > respond to questions about technical answers is not harassment. Peer
> > review of answers is extremely important - we all make mistakes and the
> > ultimate goal is, after all, to provide accurate information to
> > posters' questions.
> >>
> >> Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I.
> >> This is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

> > I don't see that Usenet rules are being broken by anyone but you. Again,
> > taking answers to private email and out of Usenet removes those answers
> > from all public search databases. If this is continually done - as you
> > are doing - it will eventually destroy the newsgroup's value.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone
> >> who has emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and
> >> it is very fulfilling.

> > I'm glad you're feeling fulfilled, but Usenet is not about only
> > fulfilling one's emotional needs. A technical newsgroup is about
> > helping other people - both immediately and in the future.
> >>
> >> Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't
> >> work, are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet
> >> after more than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help
> >> obviously works, no one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all
> >> those years.

> > Again, I don't see that having peer review of technical responses is
> > harassment. If you choose to support people via email that's great, but
> > it is not appropriate or desirable to do this from Usenet. Post on
> > messageboards or offer email support via a personal webpage instead.
> >>
> >> It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share
> >> these tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help
> >> others.

> > No one is discouraging you from posting. You are being asked to stop
> > taking answers to questions posted here to private email for the
> > reasons detailed above. If you continue to do so, I can only assume
> > that you are not the helpful altruistic person you present yourself as
> > but instead actively desire to devalue these newsgroups.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"

Carey Holzman

Just minding my own business helping people on the forums. Apparently
without MVP approval of suggested fixes, there is verbal abuse and
criticism.

No good deed goes unpunished. I never said anything about the people who are
currently making the demands and accusations to me. They just decided it was
time to pick on me and attempt to force me to obey them.

"Queve Tientoo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How did this feud begin, anyhow? Sometimes it helps to get bad feelings
> out
> in the open, thus opening up the path to forgiveness.....
>
> "Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Hi Rob. As previously stated, all help I am offering is in email now.
> |
> | If you'd like to discuss this in email, I'd love to help you with it.
> You
> | are certainly welcome to post a copy of the resolution on Usenet so that
> | others may benefit. Since the message will have your name on it, it will
> be
> | well received. If it has my name on it, it will be picked apart by two
> | people with nothing else better to do.
> |
> | Carey
> |
> | "rcmbnt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > Carey,
> | > I have a problem that I hope you may help with. I am posting it here
> | > instead of emailing you directly so that others who may have this
> problem
> | > may also benefit from your experience.
> | >
> | > I have a wireless network set up between a number of computers. All
> PC
> | > are running XP and are all sharing an ADSL connection that works
> | > beautifully.
> | > The problem I have is that when trying to connect from 1 pc to
> another,
> | > lets say trying to browse from 1 to another using network
> neighbourhood,
> | > sometimes I CAN see the other PC other times I CAN NOT see them.
> | > Sometimes when transferring files between PC's it starts of fine and
> then
> | > just stops. With an error message something along the lines of the
> other
> | > PC is no longer available. I also sometimes get error messages that
> say
> | > do not have permissions over the work group they are all in. BTW they
> all
> | > use the same workgroup.
> | > But having said all that sometimes it all works beautifully. I also
> have
> | > borgchat set up on these PC's, again sometimes they can see each other
> | > from within borgchat and other times they can not see each other.
> However
> | > they can ALWAYS chat with each other.
> | >
> | > My AP is a WAG54G, I am using 64bit WEP, I do not broadcast the SSID,
> am
> | > using Mixed mode for the speed, umm what else, oh MAC address
> filtering
> is
> | > on. I hope this is enough information
> | >
> | > Looking forward to your help
> | > Rob
> | >
> | > "Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> are

Carey Holzman

That costs money...