Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Networking Help

Networking Help

Carey Holzman

For free help with your networking problem, email me at

I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you are
having.

Carey

Malke

Carey Holzman wrote:

> For free help with your networking problem, email me at
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you
> are having.
>
> Carey

Again, I have to ask you why you are bothering to post to Usenet. Yes,
you may help one person - I'm sure you do - but by taking the answers
out of the group you remove the ability for people with the same
questions to search Google Groups and find the answers. Doing this
defeats one of the important purposes of Usenet.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Carey Holzman

I agree. Unfortunately there are certain people who think this is a forum to
argue and criticize with others offering to help, and the ones seeking help
get lost in the shuffle.

So long as their behavior continues, I have no choice but to offer email
solutions which are interrupted by such unprofessional and inconsiderate
behavior.

Thanks for understanding,

Carey

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey Holzman wrote:
>
>> For free help with your networking problem, email me at
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you
>> are having.
>>
>> Carey

> Again, I have to ask you why you are bothering to post to Usenet. Yes,
> you may help one person - I'm sure you do - but by taking the answers
> out of the group you remove the ability for people with the same
> questions to search Google Groups and find the answers. Doing this
> defeats one of the important purposes of Usenet.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

rcmbnt

Carey,
I have a problem that I hope you may help with. I am posting it here
instead of emailing you directly so that others who may have this problem
may also benefit from your experience.

I have a wireless network set up between a number of computers. All PC are
running XP and are all sharing an ADSL connection that works beautifully.
The problem I have is that when trying to connect from 1 pc to another, lets
say trying to browse from 1 to another using network neighbourhood,
sometimes I CAN see the other PC other times I CAN NOT see them. Sometimes
when transferring files between PC's it starts of fine and then just stops.
With an error message something along the lines of the other PC is no longer
available. I also sometimes get error messages that say I do not have
permissions over the work group they are all in. BTW they all use the same
workgroup.
But having said all that sometimes it all works beautifully. I also have
borgchat set up on these PC's, again sometimes they can see each other from
within borgchat and other times they can not see each other. However they
can ALWAYS chat with each other.

My AP is a WAG54G, I am using 64bit WEP, I do not broadcast the SSID, I am
using Mixed mode for the speed, umm what else, oh MAC address filtering is
on. I hope this is enough information

Looking forward to your help
Rob

"Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> For free help with your networking problem, email me at
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you are
> having.
>
> Carey

Malke

Carey Holzman wrote:

> I agree. Unfortunately there are certain people who think this is a
> forum to argue and criticize with others offering to help, and the
> ones seeking help get lost in the shuffle.
>
> So long as their behavior continues, I have no choice but to offer
> email solutions which are interrupted by such unprofessional and
> inconsiderate behavior.

You "agree"? Then stop offering to fix problems posted here through
email and keep answers and diagnoses in the newsgroups so all can
benefit from them. Otherwise, of course you have a choice - don't post
on Usenet. Find another venue to help people.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Carey Holzman

I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and harass
me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other choice
(being shooed away is not a choice).

Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I. This
is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone who has
emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and it is very
fulfilling.

Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't work,
are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet after more
than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help obviously works, no
one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all those years.

It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share these
tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help others.

So, in spite of these people's self-indulged need for approving all postings
offering help, people are still being helped without that approval.

I don't like it any more than you do, I assure you. However, I am still
helping people on Usenet and it is very gratifying and rewarding. I will
continue to do so because people deserve to be treated with respect and
dignity, and I'm here to ensure they get that, even if I don't receive it in
return from the minority of regulars here (ie, 2 people).

If Usenet policy could be enforced, I wouldn't be harassed as I have been
and I wouldn't be emailing. Someone just needs to figure out a way on how to
enforce the rules. Until then, I am going to help people any way I can.

I'm sorry my helping others displeases you, but if you could imagine what
it's like to be in my shoes, then you'd certainly understand.

Carey

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey Holzman wrote:
>
>> I agree. Unfortunately there are certain people who think this is a
>> forum to argue and criticize with others offering to help, and the
>> ones seeking help get lost in the shuffle.
>>
>> So long as their behavior continues, I have no choice but to offer
>> email solutions which are interrupted by such unprofessional and
>> inconsiderate behavior.
>>

> You "agree"? Then stop offering to fix problems posted here through
> email and keep answers and diagnoses in the newsgroups so all can
> benefit from them. Otherwise, of course you have a choice - don't post
> on Usenet. Find another venue to help people.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Carey Holzman

Hi Rob. As previously stated, all help I am offering is in email now.

If you'd like to discuss this in email, I'd love to help you with it. You
are certainly welcome to post a copy of the resolution on Usenet so that
others may benefit. Since the message will have your name on it, it will be
well received. If it has my name on it, it will be picked apart by two
people with nothing else better to do.

Carey

"rcmbnt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey,
> I have a problem that I hope you may help with. I am posting it here
> instead of emailing you directly so that others who may have this problem
> may also benefit from your experience.
>
> I have a wireless network set up between a number of computers. All PC
> are running XP and are all sharing an ADSL connection that works
> beautifully.
> The problem I have is that when trying to connect from 1 pc to another,
> lets say trying to browse from 1 to another using network neighbourhood,
> sometimes I CAN see the other PC other times I CAN NOT see them.
> Sometimes when transferring files between PC's it starts of fine and then
> just stops. With an error message something along the lines of the other
> PC is no longer available. I also sometimes get error messages that say I
> do not have permissions over the work group they are all in. BTW they all
> use the same workgroup.
> But having said all that sometimes it all works beautifully. I also have
> borgchat set up on these PC's, again sometimes they can see each other
> from within borgchat and other times they can not see each other. However
> they can ALWAYS chat with each other.
>
> My AP is a WAG54G, I am using 64bit WEP, I do not broadcast the SSID, I am
> using Mixed mode for the speed, umm what else, oh MAC address filtering is
> on. I hope this is enough information
>
> Looking forward to your help
> Rob
>
> "Carey Holzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For free help with your networking problem, email me at
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> I'll be happy to help anyone one-on-one to resolve whatever issue you are
>> having.
>>
>> Carey

Malke

Carey Holzman wrote:

Please see comments inline:

> I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and
> harass me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other
> choice (being shooed away is not a choice).

I don't see that anyone is harassing you. Being asked to correct and/or
respond to questions about technical answers is not harassment. Peer
review of answers is extremely important - we all make mistakes and the
ultimate goal is, after all, to provide accurate information to
posters' questions.

> Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I.
> This is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

I don't see that Usenet rules are being broken by anyone but you. Again,
taking answers to private email and out of Usenet removes those answers
from all public search databases. If this is continually done - as you
are doing - it will eventually destroy the newsgroup's value.

> In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone
> who has emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and
> it is very fulfilling.

I'm glad you're feeling fulfilled, but Usenet is not about only
fulfilling one's emotional needs. A technical newsgroup is about
helping other people - both immediately and in the future.

> Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't
> work, are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet
> after more than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help
> obviously works, no one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all
> those years.

Again, I don't see that having peer review of technical responses is
harassment. If you choose to support people via email that's great, but
it is not appropriate or desirable to do this from Usenet. Post on
messageboards or offer email support via a personal webpage instead.

> It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share
> these tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help
> others.

No one is discouraging you from posting. You are being asked to stop
taking answers to questions posted here to private email for the
reasons detailed above. If you continue to do so, I can only assume
that you are not the helpful altruistic person you present yourself as
but instead actively desire to devalue these newsgroups.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Carey Holzman

Do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do.

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Carey Holzman wrote:
>
> Please see comments inline:
>
>> I do agree. But if others are going to ignore the rules of Usenet and
>> harass me relentlessly for helping others, then they leave me no other
>> choice (being shooed away is not a choice).

> I don't see that anyone is harassing you. Being asked to correct and/or
> respond to questions about technical answers is not harassment. Peer
> review of answers is extremely important - we all make mistakes and the
> ultimate goal is, after all, to provide accurate information to
> posters' questions.
>>
>> Once they correct their behavior and obey the Usenet rules, so will I.
>> This is simply a REACTION, not a cause.

> I don't see that Usenet rules are being broken by anyone but you. Again,
> taking answers to private email and out of Usenet removes those answers
> from all public search databases. If this is continually done - as you
> are doing - it will eventually destroy the newsgroup's value.
>>
>> In the meantime, I have helped at least 40 people in email (everyone
>> who has emailed me has had their problem resolved) this week alone and
>> it is very fulfilling.

> I'm glad you're feeling fulfilled, but Usenet is not about only
> fulfilling one's emotional needs. A technical newsgroup is about
> helping other people - both immediately and in the future.
>>
>> Consider that those harassing me would have you believe my fixes don't
>> work, are dangerous or will have side effects in the future, and yet
>> after more than 15 years of helping people with computers, my help
>> obviously works, no one has re-emailed me with any side effects in all
>> those years.

> Again, I don't see that having peer review of technical responses is
> harassment. If you choose to support people via email that's great, but
> it is not appropriate or desirable to do this from Usenet. Post on
> messageboards or offer email support via a personal webpage instead.
>>
>> It's a shame they discourage me from posting, as I would love to share
>> these tips with the world and have them archived by Google to help
>> others.

> No one is discouraging you from posting. You are being asked to stop
> taking answers to questions posted here to private email for the
> reasons detailed above. If you continue to do so, I can only assume
> that you are not the helpful altruistic person you present yourself as
> but instead actively desire to devalue these newsgroups.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Queve Tientoo

How did this feud begin, anyhow? Sometimes it helps to get bad feelings out
in the open, thus opening up the path to forgiveness.....