Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Performance

Performance

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

Hi;

The events that seem to take forever is "Begin Init" and "Begin PreRender".
Which events do these map to? And is there a listing somewhere of the
trace.axd Message and the ASP.NET events?

--
thanks - dave
david_at_windward_dot_net

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

I realized the question below was not clear.

Is there something that maps the trace.axd Message for each trace to the
ASP.NET events that call methods in my code and process the aspx page?

--

"David Thielen" wrote:

> Hi;
>
> The events that seem to take forever is "Begin Init" and "Begin PreRender".
> Which events do these map to? And is there a listing somewhere of the
> trace.axd Message and the ASP.NET events?
>
> --
> thanks - dave
> david_at_windward_dot_net
> http://www.windwardreports.com
>
> Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.htm

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

I'm not aware of such documentation exists to describe when the default
trace messages are output for which event. However, if you take a look at
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain using Reflector
(http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/), you can see the details such as:

if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
{
this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "Begin PreInit");
}
this.PerformPreInit();
if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
{
this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "End PreInit");
}

If the page is hang, I think you will need to use windbg to break in the
asp.net worker process to see the call stack of the hanging thread:

#Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277

If you need to know which method is the slowest, you need to use Profiler:

#Eric Jarvi : Beta 2 Whidbey ASP.NET Profiler HOWTO
https://blogs.msdn.com/ejarvi/archiv...08/406578.aspx

Using the "instrumentation" method and you will see which method is slowest.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

Hi;

The problem is that the slow code is in ASP.NET, not my code. I was
wondering if there is something I should do different to avoid that?

--

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm not aware of such documentation exists to describe when the default
> trace messages are output for which event. However, if you take a look at
> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain using Reflector
> (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/), you can see the details such as:
>
> if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
> {
> this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "Begin PreInit");
> }
> this.PerformPreInit();
> if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
> {
> this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "End PreInit");
> }
>
> If the page is hang, I think you will need to use windbg to break in the
> asp.net worker process to see the call stack of the hanging thread:
>
> #Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277
>

> If you need to know which method is the slowest, you need to use Profiler:
>
> #Eric Jarvi : Beta 2 Whidbey ASP.NET Profiler HOWTO
> https://blogs.msdn.com/ejarvi/archiv...08/406578.aspx
>
> Using the "instrumentation" method and you will see which method is slowest.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

Hi;

One other question - the blog say to use "Tools->Performance Tools->New
Performance Session" but there is no Performance Tools item in my Tools or
any other menu. I have VS 2005 Professional Edition.

Do I need something else?

--

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm not aware of such documentation exists to describe when the default
> trace messages are output for which event. However, if you take a look at
> System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain using Reflector
> (http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/), you can see the details such as:
>
> if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
> {
> this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "Begin PreInit");
> }
> this.PerformPreInit();
> if (context.TraceIsEnabled)
> {
> this.Trace.Write("aspx.page", "End PreInit");
> }
>
> If the page is hang, I think you will need to use windbg to break in the
> asp.net worker process to see the call stack of the hanging thread:
>
> #Troubleshooting ASP.NET using WinDbg and the SOS extension
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892277
>

> If you need to know which method is the slowest, you need to use Profiler:
>
> #Eric Jarvi : Beta 2 Whidbey ASP.NET Profiler HOWTO
> https://blogs.msdn.com/ejarvi/archiv...08/406578.aspx
>
> Using the "instrumentation" method and you will see which method is slowest.
>
> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

What do you mean ASP.NET is slow? Do you mean using an empty WebForm in a
simple Website is also slow?

Yes the code profiling feature is only available in Visual Studio Team
System:

#Product Feature Comparisons
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgVGhpZWxlbg==?=

Yes. The login to a blank default.aspx using the login control and the ASP
membership provider takes over 10 seconds.

I'll look at loading the team system - we have the max MSDN subscription so
we should have it.

--

"Walter Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> What do you mean ASP.NET is slow? Do you mean using an empty WebForm in a
> simple Website is also slow?
>
> Yes the code profiling feature is only available in Visual Studio Team
> System:
>
> #Product Feature Comparisons
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx
>

> Regards,
> Walter Wang ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
> Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Profiling should reveal which method is the slowest one. I'm looking
forward to your findings.