Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > sata drive as boot up drive

sata drive as boot up drive

=?Utf-8?B?c3JodWJlcg==?=

does the new XP Pro 64bit cd dated (6/2006) have the necessary sata drivers
or do i need to download the drivers from seagate website and transfer it to
a floopy drive? already know of the F6 to search. could install a floopy on
new computer but wanted to wait much later to do this .
--
Help Me Please

Steve

Tom Ferguson

The CD has the SATA driver for the controller on some motherboards and
not others. Best if you visit the web site of the maker of your
motherboard and get the drivers and copy them to a floppy just in case
you need them. That presupposes you have a means of offering them to the
install-an installed floppy.

Of course, you could just try it. If the drivers are needed and not
present, the drive will not be on the list of possible install locations
and you will have to exit setup without installing the OS.

Also, if you could let us know the make and model of your MoBo, someone
might know if the drivers are in-box/on-CD.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"srhuber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> does the new XP Pro 64bit cd dated (6/2006) have the necessary sata
> drivers
> or do i need to download the drivers from seagate website and transfer
> it to
> a floopy drive? already know of the F6 to search. could install a
> floopy on
> new computer but wanted to wait much later to do this .
> --
> Help Me Please
>
> Steve

Charlie Russel - MVP

Depends entirely on which SATA controller your mobo has. Always have the
drivers in hand. In most cases, you'll need them, IME.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"srhuber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> does the new XP Pro 64bit cd dated (6/2006) have the necessary sata
> drivers
> or do i need to download the drivers from seagate website and transfer it
> a floopy drive? already know of the F6 to search. could install a floopy
> on
> new computer but wanted to wait much later to do this .
> --
> Help Me Please
>
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?c3JodWJlcg==?=

thanks went ahead and set it to dual boot so now using the OS on the sata
drive (F drive wow and at 110Mbits/sec speed too) found out my C drive is now
getting old like me so the install CD got the sata drivers off C now just
maybe this question will need to install the XP Pro 32 bit version much later
due to high cost and low income and better compatibility for 3rd party
sofware/drivers which is better OEM cheaper or the full version and again
thanks will just have to give it a go to overwrite the XP 64bit on F drive
--
Help Me Please

Steve

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Depends entirely on which SATA controller your mobo has. Always have the
> drivers in hand. In most cases, you'll need them, IME.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "srhuber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > does the new XP Pro 64bit cd dated (6/2006) have the necessary sata
> > drivers
> > or do i need to download the drivers from seagate website and transfer it
> > a floopy drive? already know of the F6 to search. could install a floopy
> > on
> > new computer but wanted to wait much later to do this .
> > --
> > Help Me Please
> >
> > Steve

Charlie Russel - MVP

OEM requires that it be bought with a supported hardware item. It is
permanently locked to the computer it is installed on. Retail is more
flexible. Both are the same product, however.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64