Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > is LCD monitor good ?

is LCD monitor good ?

bas

Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?

1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I am
not sure how far it is true.

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...960719lcd.html

2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
dudes...

thanatoid

"bas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
>
> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head
> ache, eye strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link
> talking on this. But I am not sure how far it is true.
>

> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3....cloanto.com%2
> Fusers%2Fmcb%2F19960719lcd.html

I'm sure the problems described are true for some/many people,
but people used to wonder how ANYONE could sit 15 inches from a
TV (which is basically what a CRT monitor is) and not develop
even worse symptoms. Some did. Times change. People adapt or
not. I know people who can not wear headphones/earphones because
they find it too weird to hear sound "inside" their heads.

I am sure if someone from the 15th century had to sit in front
of either a CRT or an LCD monitor, (s)he would immediately
develop severe physical reactions (ignoring the "machine from
the future/time travel" factor which would of course have much
more extreme effects... .

Personally, I think LCD monitors are crap and I would suggest
you get the best used Sony Trinitron you can find made in the
last 5 years instead.

Why or why not LCD's are good or not has been discussed to death
all over the place so I won't repeat myself/others. But download
this program:

http://www.programming.de/download/testscreens.zip

and compare the results after VERY CAREFUL adjustments on a CRT
and an LCD. You will be amazed.

> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some
> months/year and screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

A pixel can die at any time. Most manufacturers consider UP TO
30 pixels "Dead On Arrival" NORMAL. Hah!

Resolution will not change, however as the link you provided
above mentions, there is a fluorescent light source behind the
LCD screen which grows dimmer with time and which is NOT user
replaceable except in Sharp units which also happen to be the
best and the most expensive.

I don't know after how many hundreds/thousands of hours an
average user would decide the screen has become too dim, and of
course, you can't trust manufacturer's info on this. I am not
aware of any available empirical data on this.

Not to mention possibly the most critical aspect of the LCD
screen of all - touching it can mean anything from spending half
an hour with esoteric cloths and chemicals to clean it to
instant irreversible death of one or many pixels. Those screens
are NOT glass and are very delicate.

Walter Mautner

bas wrote:

> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
>
> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I am
> not sure how far it is true.

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...960719lcd.html

It is our thoughts that bias our perception. The frequency of the cold
cathode tube backlight is a lot higher then the 100/120 hz of a office/home
fluorescent light (actually as a function of the dc current frequency).
Since computer displays do have a rectifier with capacitors, there should be
no overlay of 50/60 Hz or the rectified doubled frequencies.
Sometimes, just like with crt monitors and movies taken from them, there may
be interferences with other electronic ac light sources.

> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
> screen quality/resolution is diminished ?

Rarely ever see one or the other dead pixel, no complaints so far with
hundreds of lcd monitors deployed. Using them at home for 3 years now and
no noticeable degradation except brightness which still is sufficent.

> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
> dudes...

Old Gringo

On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
>
> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I am
> not sure how far it is true.
>
> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...960719lcd.html
>
> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
> screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
>
> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
> dudes...

I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
it. Good Luck
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Your name

Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
> Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>
>> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
>>
>> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
>> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I
>> am not sure how far it is true.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...om%2Fusers%2Fm
>> cb%2F19960719lcd.html
>>
>> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year and
>> screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
>>
>> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
>> dudes...

> I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
> Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
> me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
> uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
> it. Good Luck

1. I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for a
program I had to turn in that At first I used a CRT monitor with a glare
filter, which helped a lot. I used the computers at the college
occasionally and they just got a batch of new PCs with LCD monitors. My
eyes noticed a difference and made me consider an LCD monitor. The eye
actually decreased.

2. The resolution hasn't gone down. I haven't had deal pixels yet. If you
buy an lcd monitor, locally may be better. Check with the store's return
policy. I have had this monitor for at least four years.

Your name

Your name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:UKU%h.213331$(E-Mail Removed):

> Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
>> Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
>> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:
>>
>>> Is LCD monitor having the following problems ?
>>>
>>> 1. Does LCD monitor cause to physical problems like head ache, eye
>>> strain/irritation etc ? I came across a link talking on this. But I
>>> am not sure how far it is true.
>>>
>>> http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3...com%2Fusers%2F
>>> m cb%2F19960719lcd.html
>>>
>>> 2. Will number of dead pixels be increased after some months/year
>>> and screen quality/resolution is diminished ?
>>>
>>> Could someone give strong explanations for these ? Thanks in advance
>>> dudes...

>> I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
>> Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
>> me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
>> uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
>> it. Good Luck

> 1. I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for
> a program I had to turn in that At first I used a CRT monitor with a
> glare filter, which helped a lot. I used the computers at the college
> occasionally and they just got a batch of new PCs with LCD monitors.
> My eyes noticed a difference and made me consider an LCD monitor. The
> eye actually decreased.
>
> 2. The resolution hasn't gone down. I haven't had deal pixels yet. If
> you buy an lcd monitor, locally may be better. Check with the store's
> return policy. I have had this monitor for at least four years.

Oops, meant to say
"I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for a
program I had to turn in that day, which was probably 6 hours from then."
"The eye strain actually decreased". I guess I shouldn't be typing at 1 AM.

bas

Thanks to everyone. LCD seems to be not bad to CRT. Any difference in
resolution ?

On May 8, 11:29 am, Your name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Your name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote innews:UKU%h.213331$(E-Mail Removed) m:
>

> > Old Gringo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> On Or About 5 Apr 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
> >> Thinking Twice, bas Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The
> >> Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News Group:

> >> I bought the cheapest one I could find, HP L1506 and love it.
> >> Changes between it and CRT are there but do not present a problem for
> >> me. The real estate that it occupies and the power consumption it
> >> uses make up for any flaws between it and a CRT. Get one You'll like
> >> it. Good Luck

> > 1. I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for
> > a program I had to turn in that At first I used a CRT monitor with a
> > glare filter, which helped a lot. I used the computers at the college
> > occasionally and they just got a batch of new PCs with LCD monitors.
> > My eyes noticed a difference and made me consider an LCD monitor. The
> > eye actually decreased.

> > 2. The resolution hasn't gone down. I haven't had deal pixels yet. If
> > you buy an lcd monitor, locally may be better. Check with the store's
> > return policy. I have had this monitor for at least four years.

> Oops, meant to say
> "I am a CS major and have done those last-minute tweaks at 3 AM for a
> program I had to turn in that day, which was probably 6 hours from then."
> "The eye strain actually decreased". I guess I shouldn't be typing at 1 AM.- Hide quoted text -

David Matthew Wood

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
bas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone. LCD seems to be not bad to CRT. Any difference in
> resolution ?

With a good CRT, not really. Although, if you switch to lower
resolutions, CRT is still a better choice. LCD panels are designed to
work their best at one resolution (usually 1280x1024). If it is lower
than this native resolution, the monitor will scale the image to fit the
screen. The problem with this is that it makes things appear blurry.