Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zone alarm made me angry

Zone alarm made me angry

Fred37

I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
email.
This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
category of malicious software.
What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
Alarm.
Fred

sittingduck

Fred37 wrote:

> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
> Alarm.

Zone Alarm is the AOL of firewalls. Good luck getting completley rid of it.
Re-installing your operating system is probably going to be the easiest way.

Extended Zone Alarm Uninstall/Outpost Install Instructions
A few preliminary steps to follow BEFORE uninstallation begins:
P1. Download a NEW Copy of Outpost from Agnitum.
P2. If applicable, make sure that you do the uninstallation and the installation with a User account having administrative rights.
P3. Make sure that Zone Alarm Firewall and the Zone Alarm service are stopped before starting the uninstallation. Right-click on the Zone Alarm icon and 'Shutdown Zone Alarm (Pro)'.
P4. Go to JV16 Power Tools and download the jv16 Power Tools application. This is an excellent application for getting eliminating registry remnants from old uninstalled programs. Install this on your PC.
P5. Open Windows Explorer and from the menu choose Tools -> Folder Options. Click on the 'View' tab and make sure that Windows Explorer is setup to view hidden files and folders.
Uninstallation (after completing steps 1 through 5 above):
1. Completely follow the Zone Alarm instructions as outlined in Zone Alarm Uninstallation - Zone Labs Customer Care to completely uninstall Zone Alarm and clean the file system.
2. Clean all files out of C:\Windows\Temp - Covered in link from Zone Labs, but I recommend cleaning the whole Temp directory. NOTE: Files in you temp directories are safe to delete. If Windows is using any specific file it will not allow its deletion and you will get an error message but please delete all others. Any temp file that may be needed later will be regenerated by that specific application when required.
3. Clean all files out of C:\Windows\Prefetch - Covered in link from Zone Labs, but I recommend cleaning the whole Prefetch directory. Deleted Prefetch files will be re-created as necessary the next time you boot your PC.
4. Clean all files out of C:\Documents and Settings\youraccount\Local Settings\Temp. The exact path may vary slightly with your Operating System. The point is to try and clean your User accounts Temp directory. This will probably not be applicable on single user 95, 98, or Me systems. Alternatively, you can choose Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup. Just check all of the items and continue the cleaning process. NOTE: Files in you temp directories are safe to delete. If Windows is using any specific file it will not allow its deletion and you will get an error message but please delete all others. Any temp file that may be needed later will be regenerated by that specific application when required.
5. jv16 Power Tools: Completing Registry Cleaning (THIS IS ENTIRELY OPTIONAL, this step is optional but may be potentially helpful with difficult uninstallation problems. I strongly recommend it.)
a) Download and install jv16 Power Tools. This should have already been done if you followed the preliminary steps.
b) Run jv16 Power Tools and click on the 'Registry Tool' button. That will open the main registry tool window.
c) Now you should see a list of applications that are documented in the registry. Sort this list alphabetically by clicking on the 'Author' item just above the column with the application names. If it appears in reverse alphabetical order, just click on 'Author' one more time and the list of applications will appear alphabetically.
d) Scroll down until you see the Zone Labs or Zone Alarm entries. Place a check in the box next to every entry with 'Zone Labs' or 'Zone Alarm' appearing either in the 'Author' or 'Software' column. You may need to scroll down. While some entries are recognized as being authored by Zone Labs, others may not. So it is important to scroll through the whole list and mark all entries related to Zone Labs/Zone Alarm. If you are not sure of an entry, do not place a check there. Be sure to look closely at the [Unknown] entries at the end of the list to see if an Agnitum entry is listed there.
e) After you have found all of the Zone Alarm entries and placed a check in each of the boxes next to them, click the 'Remove' button located at the bottom of the Registry Tools window.
f) After removal of the application entries is completed, choose Tools -> Registry Cleaner from the menu.
g) The Registry Cleaner will appear with an 'Options' screen. Please ensure that ONLY the 'I want to verify deleted entries' is checked. NO other option should be checked. Make a setting of 'Sometimes' under 'Update screen while scanning'. When finished with this, press 'Continue'.
h) Make sure that ALL items are checked under 'Select performed scanned'.
i) Press the 'Start' button to execute the scan.
j) After the scan has completed, choose Select -> All from the menu.
k) Click on the 'Remove' button in the lower right corner of the Registry Cleaner window.
l) After completing this process, click the 'Close' button to close the Registry Cleaner window.
m) Then click 'Close' to close the Registry Tools window.
n) Finally, click 'Exit' to close jv16 Power Tools.
o) Reboot your PC.
6. Upon successful system startup, install Outpost using the new installation file that you downloaded in the preliminary steps above.
At this point, Outpost should function properly. I have personally used
every step noted to you in this post without incident. I hope that these
steps help you solve your problem. The same steps can and should be
repeated in Safe Mode if you are having difficulty. WHENEVER UPGRADING OR
INSTALLING OUTPOST, I RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING MEASURES. THESE ARE GOOD
GENERAL RULES WHEN INSTALLING ANY PROGRAM, BUT FOLLOWING ALL OF THEM MAY
NOT BE REQUIRED: 1. Make sure that your anti-virus is disabled.
2. Make sure that your anti-trojan protection is disabled.
3. Make sure no other applications are running.
4. Make sure that you disable any sandbox or system access protection application.
5. Make sure that you disable any ad-monitoring software or proxies.
6. Make sure that any internet connection information program, packet sniffer, or capture utility is disabled. These should not be used with Outpost at all.
7. If upgrading using the Auto Update in Outpost feature does not work properly, shutdown and exit Outpost and run the update from the Start Menu.
8. You must be logged in as Administrator or to any account with Administrative privileges before attempting to install or update Outpost.
If the steps above do not help, we will continue to help to the limits of
our ability here in the forum. However, it may become necessary for you to
contact Agnitum directly if problems with Outpost still exist after
following this Uninstall/Install procedure and the associated guidelines.

meerkat

"Fred37" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
> with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
> email.
> This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
> It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
> I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
> category of malicious software.
> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
> Alarm.
> Fred

Well switch it off then !.
Dbl/click on the ZA icon.
Click on `E-mail Protection`, and switch it off.

Kicking Bird

"Fred37" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
> with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
> email.
> This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
> It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
> I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
> category of malicious software.
> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
> Alarm.
> Fred

RTFM Fredo-- you can switch off the email check option with two or three
clicks...

HEMI-Powered

Today, sittingduck made these interesting comments ...

> Fred37 wrote:
>
>> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this
>> awful Zone Alarm.

> Zone Alarm is the AOL of firewalls. Good luck getting
> completley rid of it. Re-installing your operating system is
> probably going to be the easiest way.

Why do you say that? I evaluated a couple of software firewalls
last summer when I get hit with a still unresolved compromise
from the Internet and chose both Zone Alarm and eTrust Pest
Patrol to complement my Norton System Works 2006, Ad-Aware, Spy
Bot Search & Destroy, and JV16 Powertools utilities. Yes, I know
what many people think of anything Symantec, and I agree
somewhat, hence I would not buy their Internet protection suite.
Some like McAfee, but I do not. Back to ZA. Before I bought the
commercial product, I did an eval of the free version, it seemed
to do what I wanted without being majorly annoying (after it was
"trained", of course) and I've not seen any major slowdowns. It
peacefully co-exists with Norton Anti-Virus and doesn't try to
trample it nor double-scan my E-mails. In short, it seems to work
and appears to do what I bought it for. If course, one never
really knows if any firewall or malware protection really works;
you only find that out AFTER you've been hacked.

> [...]
> sandbox or system access protection application. 5. Make sure
> that you disable any ad-monitoring software or proxies. 6.
> Make sure that any internet connection information program,
> packet sniffer, or capture utility is disabled. These should
> not be used with Outpost at all. 7. If upgrading using the
> Auto Update in Outpost feature does not work properly,
> shutdown and exit Outpost and run the update from the Start
> Menu. 8. You must be logged in as Administrator or to any
> account with Administrative privileges before attempting to
> install or update Outpost. If the steps above do not help, we
> will continue to help to the limits of our ability here in the
> forum. However, it may become necessary for you to contact
> Agnitum directly if problems with Outpost still exist after
> following this Uninstall/Install procedure and the associated

I've not had the need to try an uninstall of ZA, but I have
needed to uninstall Symantec products before, and they can be a
bear. But, judicious use of JV16 to find and delete rogue entires
left behind by Symantec did the trick. Yes, I understand the
dangers in messing with the Registry, but believe me, I am fully
backed up if a disaster occurs.

But, to finish up on-topic, I am interested in what you or others
feel is so onerous about what I thought was the #1 seller of
software firewalls.

--
HP, aka Jerry

sittingduck

HEMI-Powered wrote:

> But, to finish up on-topic, I am interested in what you or others
> feel is so onerous about what I thought was the #1 seller of
> software firewalls.

I have read a LOT of complaints about it. It is next to impossible to
completely remove, (like AOL) and attaches itself to way too many places in
your computer.

Then again, software firewalls are typically for the clueless and the newbies
that do not know any better, so something like that is almost necessary. The
more flexible, intelligent programs available require configuration that may
be beyond the typical user.

Back when I thought it was necessary, I ran ZA because it seemed popular. I
had problems with it, and tried several others before I came to not need the
software firewall anymore. Sygate was the best, most trouble free firewall I
used. Ghostwall was the lightest.

Fred37

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 18:18:12 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fred37" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
>> with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
>> email.
>> This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
>> It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
>> I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
>> category of malicious software.
>> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
>> Alarm.
>> Fred
>>

>Well switch it off then !.
>Dbl/click on the ZA icon.
>Click on `E-mail Protection`, and switch it off.

Hi,

I tried that. It keeps comimng back. I deleted it from several other
places and it still keeps coming back. I deleted every instance I
could find and told Outlook not to use it. It came back right away.

I have used Zone Alarm for a long time. I was a huge advocate for
them. Now, with this latest upgrade, they have done the unpardonable.
They have taken away what little control I have over my computer. I
hate that. It is so annoynig and it is actually interfering with my
business.
I wish it were not so. They performed flawlessly for a long time.

Fred

Fred37

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:48:32 -0400, "Kicking Bird" <redman@tipi> wrote:

>"Fred37" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
>> with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
>> email.
>> This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
>> It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
>> I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
>> category of malicious software.
>> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
>> Alarm.
>> Fred
>>

>RTFM Fredo-- you can switch off the email check option with two or three
>clicks...

Thanks for the reply.
For some reason I can't get rid of it. I have tried that nd a lot
more, but is judt reappears as part of my Outlook. I removed it from
the Outlook helper apps too, but it came right back.
Fred

Fred37

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 11:17:29 -0700, sittingduck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>5. Make sure that you disable any ad-monitoring software or proxies.
>6. Make sure that any internet connection information program, packet sniffer, or capture utility is disabled. These should not be used with Outpost at all.
>7. If upgrading using the Auto Update in Outpost feature does not work properly, shutdown and exit Outpost and run the update from the Start Menu.
>8. You must be logged in as Administrator or to any account with Administrative privileges before attempting to install or update Outpost.
>If the steps above do not help, we will continue to help to the limits of
>our ability here in the forum. However, it may become necessary for you to
>contact Agnitum directly if problems with Outpost still exist after
>following this Uninstall/Install procedure and the associated guidelines.

Hi Sitting Duck.
Because of posts on this NG, I knew better than to install the paid
version. I thought I could get away using the free version. It worked
well for a very long time, but now this.
Thank you very much. I will set out on this quest. I will let you
know If I win or not.
Thank you again.
Fred

philo

"Fred37" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running the free Zone Alarm on a Toshiba Laptop, P4, Windows XP
> with all of the latest updates. Also Office 2000 using Outlook for
> email.
> This last update of ZA added an email scan to my comuter.
> It is slow, annoying, and slows down everything. It is persistent and
> I can't get rid of it. In my opinion Zone Alarm now belongs in the
> category of malicious software.
> What else can I use so that I can rid my computer of this awful Zone
> Alarm.
> Fred

Heck...Zone Alarm flaked out on me quite a few versions back...
I just uninstalled it and re-installed the previous version...
For my purposes it works fine and I just cancel the upgrade reminder every
two months...
no big deal