Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > MVP Awards

MVP Awards

Montreal MCT

There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify a few
points:

1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current MVP or in
some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are vetted for
worthiness in the program based on your positive contributions to community
in the preceeding twelve months. Though there are other ways of being
noticed, the easiest way is a presence in on-line newsgroups.

2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You are not
required to hold any certifications, even if you are being nominated in an
area that has certifications. You can therefore be an MVP in Windows Server
or Active Directory without holding any of the credentials.

3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a credential, and
should be seen as such.

4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you will
fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people, and if you
are making your contributions based solely on the goal, then you will
probably falter before it happens. MVPs are community-minded people with a
passion for helping, and that is pretty hard to fake. And frankly though
there are real benefits to being an MVP they are dwarfed by the commitment
it requires to become one.

5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for others
as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As was proven in
October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the award revoked.

6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive compensation. We
do what we do because we believe in it, not for the money... there isn't any
(though if you do go to Summit there is food and drink).

I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it has
little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather how
you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a rogue
group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication and
comportment were in line with these guidelines.

--
Montreal MCT
Visit my blog at

FrisbeeŽ

"Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify a
> few points:
>
> 1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current MVP or
> in some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are vetted for
> worthiness in the program based on your positive contributions to
> community in the preceeding twelve months. Though there are other ways of
> being noticed, the easiest way is a presence in on-line newsgroups.
>
> 2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You are
> not required to hold any certifications, even if you are being nominated
> in an area that has certifications. You can therefore be an MVP in
> Windows Server or Active Directory without holding any of the credentials.
>
> 3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a credential,
> and should be seen as such.
>
> 4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you will
> fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people, and if you
> are making your contributions based solely on the goal, then you will
> probably falter before it happens. MVPs are community-minded people with
> a passion for helping, and that is pretty hard to fake. And frankly
> though there are real benefits to being an MVP they are dwarfed by the
> commitment it requires to become one.
>
> 5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for others
> as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As was proven in
> October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the award revoked.
>
> 6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive compensation. We
> do what we do because we believe in it, not for the money... there isn't
> any (though if you do go to Summit there is food and drink).
>
> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.
>
> --
> Montreal MCT
> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
> Visit my blog at
> http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/ta...t.aspx?wp_ml=0

You could have saved Ripley a lot of time and grief if you had only posted
this a few days ago. I'm thinking he did not anticipate any of these points
at all.

CBIC

"Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.

Good informative post. Rogue group <chuckle> gee, I wonder who that is.

JaR

CBIC wrote:
> "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
>> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
>> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
>> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
>> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.
>>

> Good informative post. Rogue group <chuckle> gee, I wonder who that is.

Considering that we have two MVPs and one Microsoftie as members,,
shirley not lil' ol' US?

--
JaR
Rogue #22

T. S. Ripley

"FrisbeeŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
>> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify
>> a few points:
>>
>> 1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current
>> MVP or in some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are
>> vetted for worthiness in the program based on your positive
>> contributions to community in the preceeding twelve months. Though
>> there are other ways of being noticed, the easiest way is a presence
>> in on-line newsgroups.
>>
>> 2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You
>> are not required to hold any certifications, even if you are being
>> nominated in an area that has certifications. You can therefore be
>> an MVP in Windows Server or Active Directory without holding any of
>> the credentials.
>>
>> 3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a
>> credential, and should be seen as such.
>>
>> 4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you
>> will fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people,
>> and if you are making your contributions based solely on the goal,
>> then you will probably falter before it happens. MVPs are
>> community-minded people with a passion for helping, and that is
>> pretty hard to fake. And frankly though there are real benefits to
>> being an MVP they are dwarfed by the commitment it requires to become
>> one.
>>
>> 5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for
>> others as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As
>> was proven in October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the
>> award revoked.
>>
>> 6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive
>> compensation. We do what we do because we believe in it, not for the
>> money... there isn't any (though if you do go to Summit there is food
>> and drink).
>>
>> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP
>> it has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent,
>> rather how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a
>> member of a rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's
>> commitment and dedication and comportment were in line with these
>> guidelines.
>>
>> --
>> Montreal MCT
>> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
>> Visit my blog at
>> http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/ta.../Default.aspx?

wp_ml
>> =0

> You could have saved Ripley a lot of time and grief if you had only
> posted this a few days ago. I'm thinking he did not anticipate any of
> these points at all.

No, I anticipated this enough. Specifically #5 is why I dropped MCNGP.
Before, as you stated Frisbee, I was helpful. That, I will return to
doing. There's no reason to recite what's happened thus far and that's
all I have to say. The rest is just harassment if deemed such, not on
your part, but by other members of the community.

catwalker63

FrisbeeŽ piffled away vaguely:

> "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
>> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify a
>> few points:
>>
>> 1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current MVP or
>> in some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are vetted for
>> worthiness in the program based on your positive contributions to
>> community in the preceeding twelve months. Though there are other ways of
>> being noticed, the easiest way is a presence in on-line newsgroups.
>>
>> 2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You are
>> not required to hold any certifications, even if you are being nominated
>> in an area that has certifications. You can therefore be an MVP in
>> Windows Server or Active Directory without holding any of the credentials.
>>
>> 3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a credential,
>> and should be seen as such.
>>
>> 4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you will
>> fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people, and if you
>> are making your contributions based solely on the goal, then you will
>> probably falter before it happens. MVPs are community-minded people with
>> a passion for helping, and that is pretty hard to fake. And frankly
>> though there are real benefits to being an MVP they are dwarfed by the
>> commitment it requires to become one.
>>
>> 5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for others
>> as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As was proven in
>> October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the award revoked.
>>
>> 6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive compensation. We
>> do what we do because we believe in it, not for the money... there isn't
>> any (though if you do go to Summit there is food and drink).
>>
>> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
>> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
>> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
>> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
>> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.
>>
>> --
>> Montreal MCT
>> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
>> Visit my blog at
>> http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/ta...t.aspx?wp_ml=0

> You could have saved Ripley a lot of time and grief if you had only posted
> this a few days ago. I'm thinking he did not anticipate any of these points
> at all.

In the long run, though, I think this sequence of events saves us time
and grief. Mr. Ripley turns out to not be MCNGP material any more than
he is MVP material. I'm sorry to say I think he will crack long before
12 months are over and show his true colors once again. I wish him luck
but I am skeptical. I don't remember him offering any real help, even
after his handle change. To be awarded an MVP he would have to go over
and above consistantly. You can't fake that, certainly not for a whole
year.
--

Catwalker
MCNGP #43

TBone

And on the eigth day "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> did cause the

> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify
> a few points:

0.5. The first rule of MVP is not to talk about MVP.

i.e. Anyone worthy of becoming MVP should know how to find this.

-------

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

MVP Awards Montreal MCT MCSE 18 04-11-2007 09:30 PM
MVP Awards Montreal MCT MCSA 5 04-05-2007 06:55 PM
MVP Awards Montreal MCT MCTS 5 04-05-2007 06:55 PM
MVP Awards Montreal MCT MCITP 5 04-05-2007 06:55 PM
Warning: MVP.org is not a Microsoft MVP site Larry Samuels Microsoft Certification 21 02-01-2004 09:28 PM

Advertisments