Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need help installing an external harddrive, please

Need help installing an external harddrive, please

Izzie.Loredo@gmail.com

First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

Alan Wheeler

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said in news:1175748535.978786.309830
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
> external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
> directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
> 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
> windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
> couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
> might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. You should open up the docs to the part that says "tech
support" and call the manufacturer. Even if you get some diaper head in
Bangalore who speaks poor English, if he at least runs you through his
scripts. he might be able to resolve your problem.

Jerry

Flirt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
> external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
> directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
> 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
> windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
> couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
> might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

Yet again.....
The error message would have been specific and is all important.
This link is to the Microsoft support Knowledge base:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/
Type exactly, word-for-word, the error message and it will tell
you what it means and possible solutions.

Meanwhile, is your laptop fully updated with all patches/SP2?
You are connecting via USB (It is also a firewire device) -
are the USB connections correct?
Is the USB port functioning?
With laptops usually the connection is a four pin USB, which means
the external device must have it's own connected power supply.
(As It can only draw power supply from a six pin connection).
If you are connecting 4pin-to-6pin, then you have to purchase
the optional power supply:
http://external-enclosure.tradenet.c...-drive/2-5.htm
This is a USB troubleshooting guide:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575/en-us

Kelvin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
> external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
> directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
> 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
> windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
> couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
> might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

Could it be something to do with USB2 ?

Kel.

Kicking Bird

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> First off I am horrible with computers. I just bought and Morning Star
> external harddrive for my laptop but I can't install it. I read the
> directions and it said that no installation is needed for windows Me/
> 2000/XP, I have XP and a warning to NEVER install WIN98 driver into
> windows 2000/XP/2003 systems. It detected the USB hardware but
> couldn't finish "installation" because there was a problem and it
> might not work properly. What am I doing wrong?

Those Morning Star drives need to be soaked in warm water for about a half
hour to loosen them up and dissolve the chemical residues from the
manufacturing process prior to being hooked up to a computer. Use a bucket-
or stopper the sink. Adding about a tablespoon salt to the water first is
even more effective.

Izzie

Thanx for all the help. I found out that my usb cord on my laptop is
too small so I bought an adapter and now it registers my external
harddrive. But now I have another question, how do I use it? lol I
told you I am horrible with computers. How do I send files and stuff
to the external harddrive?