Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless not working after standby

Wireless not working after standby

jennybertha@gmail.com

I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
do not have any other software to my knowledge.

We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
and laptops work properly.

Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.

Jenny

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
concerning saving.
1. The Network Card Drivers ( http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg ).
3. Manufacturer installed utility (prevalent in most newer Laptop).
4. The motherboard BIOS.
Check all 4 and make sure that the Network cards are Not allowed to go to
Sleep (or to save).
In many cases nothing would help, and you have to live with it.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
> hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
> restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
> icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
> the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
> IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
> have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
> There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
> alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
> do not have any other software to my knowledge.
>
> We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
> and laptops work properly.
>
> Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.
>
> Jenny

Pavel A.

Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.

Regards,
--PA

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
> > and laptops work properly.
> >
> > Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.

Static addressing for gateway, DNS server, subnet mask, etc often solves
this type of problem. Windows Zero Config is about as flakey as Plug
and Pray, fine when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't.
It's easy to change, and go back to what you had before if it
doesn't solve the problem.

My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.

With static values, these should be retained when you come
out of standby, the only other issue is that your wireless
adapter may get turned off during standby, and not wake
up again.

Pavel A.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
[snip]
> My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
> the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.

The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
IP is not yet been assigned.

--PA

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
> IP is not yet been assigned.

I'd still try static addressing.
To lease an IP address he needs to get to his router and
0.0.0.0 won't be in the default domain ranges, I'd expect
ipconfig /all to return invalid addresses for his network.
Of course it could be that his wireless adapter has
gone to sleep (power save mode) and not woken up again
on coming out of standby.
I believe the OP mentioned other machines on the network.
So if he does ipconfig /all on a working one he can
transfer the gateway, DNS, and subnet mask to static
addresses on the disfunctional machine then give it
a unique address in that domain.
If that doesn't resolve it then on coming out of
standby he needs to go to Services and see what
relevant network services are running or not as
the case may be.
Like DHCP can be manual, automatic, or disabled,
as can be Wireless Zero Config (WZC).

QuasiCodo

> I am having a problem when my computer comes back from stand by or
> hibernate, the wireless Connection is does not work and I have to
> restart the computer in order to get a connection. Basically the the
> icon is enabled, but the IP assigned is 0.0.0.0, I have tried renewing
> the IP, disabling and reenabling the connection but nothing works. No
> IP is being assigned after the computer comes back from standby. I
> have an HP lap top and I ussually close it when I am not working.
> There is an article in the Microsoft KB, suggesting it might be an
> alternate application that searches for the wireless connection, but I
> do not have any other software to my knowledge.
>
> We have a home network with a Belkin router, but all other computers
> and laptops work properly.
>
> Any clues as to why this is happening?? All help will be appreciated.
>
> Jenny

This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

((&->

M G

This problem was bugging for 3-4 months. Changes in power management settings, updating the wireless driver did not help.

Finally, I read somewhere about a related BIOS setting. I checked my bios and found a setting, which was not very clearly named. I enabled the setting and it worked. Since then my wireless contection works fine even after waking up.

Hope it works with you.

QuasiCodo wrote:

Re: Wireless not working after standby
09-Apr-07

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

((&->

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:21 PM
jennyberth wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, April 04, 2007 10:16 PM
Jack \(MVP-Networking\). wrote:

HiThere are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
Hi
There are 3 places that have menu Entries for Network Hardware behavior
concerning saving.
1. The Network Card Drivers ( http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg ).
3. Manufacturer installed utility (prevalent in most newer Laptop).
4. The motherboard BIOS.
Check all 4 and make sure that the Network cards are Not allowed to go to
Sleep (or to save).
In many cases nothing would help, and you have to live with it.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

On Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:05 PM
Pavel A. wrote:

Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.
Try to get the latest wireless adapter driver update. This often helps.

Regards,
--PA

On Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:28 PM
ato_ze wrote:

Re: Wireless not working after standby
On 7-Apr-2007, "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Static addressing for gateway, DNS server, subnet mask, etc often solves
this type of problem. Windows Zero Config is about as flakey as Plug
and Pray, fine when it works, a pain in the butt when it doesn't.
It's easy to change, and go back to what you had before if it
doesn't solve the problem.

My guess is that not only is your IP address 0.0.0.1, but
the other IP addresses have defaulted to some crap values.

With static values, these should be retained when you come
out of standby, the only other issue is that your wireless
adapter may get turned off during standby, and not wake
up again.

On Saturday, April 07, 2007 3:54 PM
Pavel A. wrote:

Re: Wireless not working after standby
[snip]

The OP wrote that the IP was 0.0.0.0 (not 0.0.0.1 !) - which means the
IP is not yet been assigned.

--PA

On Saturday, April 07, 2007 6:11 PM
ato_ze wrote:

[...]

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
This is a problem with many Wifi adapters and usually comes down to the
firmware crashing and thus hanging the internal processor on the device
itself. If it is a USB wifi NIC, simply unplug the device and plug it
back in. If a PCI/miniPCI NIC, go into DeviceManager (*NOT* Network
Connections) and "Disable" the device and then "Enable" it again.
Sometimes that works. It really depends on if the power is truly
removed from the device on the PCI bus or not when you disable it.

((&->

DataContractSerializer Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...alizer-ba.aspx