Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RE:Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

RE:Privacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep AboutMe

Heidy

RErivacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me

x-no-archive-yes

Hello,
I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities

What about my ISP account emails are these held too?

Also apparently Google keep files on people with all their search info
as a matter of Privacy what can be done?
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=kc_feat

http://snipurl.com/1f35k

What solutions are there to this?

Heidy

Service

Good Quality Website But Expensive If you know a Better Value For Money
Video On Demand Service or even Mirc www.mirc.com please feel free to
contact me.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Please remove the "NOSPAM" to reply

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Heidy wrote:
> RErivacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me
>
> x-no-archive-yes
>
> Hello,
> I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
> the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
> a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities
>
> What about my ISP account emails are these held too?
>
> Also apparently Google keep files on people with all their search info
> as a matter of Privacy what can be done?
>
>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=kc_feat
>>

> http://snipurl.com/1f35k
>
> What solutions are there to this?

I know you're asking about what's happening now, but look at what the
land of the free is wanting to do:
http://news.com.com/Justice+Departme...3-6163679.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ttph2

BTW, you can safely drop that x-no-archive-yes comment, it's not helping.

thanatoid

Heidy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4613718d$0$10194$(E-Mail Removed):

> RErivacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep
> About Me

<SNIP>

There is no more anonymity or privacy, in fact some people
believe one of the main "benefits" of the internet is that it
allows the "authorities" to keep tabs on everyone they wish to.

Everything is logged, everything can be stored for a long time
(depending on how organized or messy the ISP/provider happens to
be - in case of Google everything IS stored forever), and
anyone with any authority can get at any information (sometimes
all it takes is just a phone call with no legal documents
involved at all). To their credit, some companies HAVE refused
to hand over records and survived, but look up the history of
anon.penet.fi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penet_remailer} for
an account of one of the first and most famous cases where a
service had to shut down because of authoritarian (in that case,
Scientology was involved) pressures.

It is fairly simple to track down anyone if someone really wants
to, and many claim all Usenet messages and email is scanned by
"authorities" for suspicious content (Google for "Echelon").
Your message certainly falls into that category, BTW.

Satellite cameras can zoom in on the reflection of your computer
screen in your open window. Thanks to Google's infinite storage
of what used to be just personal messages on a semi-private
bulletin board (on of the many definitions of the Usenet),
lawsuits have been successfully conducted to destroy people's
lives over their opinion of a company or manufacturer. It is
like people reading, copying, and storing EVERY piece of mail
ever sent by anyone, like they used to do at certain times in
the Soviet Union and some of the block countries.

It is like 1984 except MUCH worse. And it will keep on getting
worse. "A Clockwork Orange" with its then-rather-depressing
vision of the future is beginning to look like a cute fairy tale
these days.

OTOH, new ways of making yourself truly anonymous are invented
by cypherpunks etc. all the time, but how effective they are is
debatable. Just showing serious interest in anonymous remailers,
proxy servers etc. can theoretically get you on a "watch" list.
And some people claim (no one REALLY knows) that many anonymous
remailers etc are government-run to catch just the kind of
people who would want to use them.

Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on what
you actually want to do, it may not matter at all. Even Interpol
has to have its priorities - no one has infinite resources.

And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely mentally
disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic bombers AND
Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people have uncorrupted
consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts what is right and
wrong, and MOST normal people abstain from doing the wrong.
Still, it's a big world and there are many criminals around, and
a large part of the planet is under control of people who
probably never knew what was right and what was wrong in the
first place.

Frosty

On 05 Apr 2007 02:43:11 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk thanatoid
<(E-Mail Removed)>, intended to write something intelligible,
but instead wrote :

> [...]

>And some people claim (no one REALLY knows) that many anonymous
>remailers etc are government-run to catch just the kind of
>people who would want to use them.
>
>Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on what
>you actually want to do, it may not matter at all. Even Interpol
>has to have its priorities - no one has infinite resources.
>
>And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely mentally
>disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic bombers AND
>Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people have uncorrupted
>consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts what is right and
>wrong, and MOST normal people abstain from doing the wrong.
>Still, it's a big world and there are many criminals around, and
>a large part of the planet is under control of people who
>probably never knew what was right and what was wrong in the

What he said.
But to answer your question short & sweet as to what you can do about
it: Get off the internet.

El Chippy

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:29:58 +0100, Heidy wrote:

> RErivacy What of Information does my ISP and Google Keep About Me
>
> x-no-archive-yes

I doubt this is doing any good in the body of the message, needs to be in
the headers IIRC

> Hello,
> I wanted to know what sort of information does my Isp hold about me all
> the Websites I have visited in the last 3 years for instance similar to
> a "blackbox" that can be subpeoned by law enforcement authorities

The ISPs proxy server will log a record of every page and object on that
page requested. How long they keep these records for is something only
they can answer. And how hard it is for people to access this data is
another question. Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the blink of
an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a signed warrant in
front of them. And you cannot escape this data being logged by your ISP
unless you do everything over an encrypted connection to a remote site.

> What about my ISP account emails are these held too?

They certainly will log basic details about each email sent and
received. ie Message ID ABCD received from server X for user Y at time Z
at the minimum, for server performance monitoring at the very least. How
long they keep them for (on the server, and dont forget the backup sets)
is another question altogether. Ask them. And ask them to state explicitly
what they do record and how long they hold this data for.

> What solutions are there to this?

Google and other cookie based web-tracking technologies... turn off
cookies, java/javascript, activeX etc, connect to an anonymizing proxy via
an encrypted protocol using an internet connection that has a dynamic IP
(IP address changes with each reconnection). Or just dont use the web.

This will avoid most simple tracking systems. If however you have
government agencies (or other $$$ & Technology rich entities) tracking you
then take the cable cutters and cut your internet line...

thanatoid

Frosty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> [...]

>>would want to use them.
>>
>>Have I scared you enough? The bottom line is depending on
>>what you actually want to do, it may not matter at all.
>>Even Interpol has to have its priorities - no one has
>>infinite resources.
>>
>>And except for sociopaths, some of the more severely
>>mentally disturbed, and religious fanatics (abortion-clinic
>>bombers AND Moslem suicide-bombers equally), most people
>>have uncorrupted consciences and KNOW deep in their hearts
>>what is right and wrong, and MOST normal people abstain
>>from doing the wrong. Still, it's a big world and there are
>>many criminals around, and a large part of the planet is
>>under control of people who probably never knew what was
>>right and what was wrong in the first place.

> What he said.
> But to answer your question short & sweet as to what you

/laughing out loud/
Thank you for putting it in simpler terms, Frosty

El Chippy

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:37:05 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
>> represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the blink of
>> an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a signed warrant in
>> front of them. And you cannot escape this data being logged by your ISP
>> unless you do everything over an encrypted connection to a remote site.

> Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or whatever
> you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any Company/Person)
> before they have to give any information out to them about someone else.
> For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are 4 examples of agencies
> that companies may have to supply information to and as far as I know a
> company can suppliy information to any of them without a search warrant in
> certain circumstances (Check the NZ Laws before you disagree with this)
>
> Thanks

Indeed, they CAN.. whether they should is another question altogether.
Their policy on this sort of thing should be clearly stated in the T
& C IMHO. And at the very least they should verify the person is actually
who they claim to be.

I haven't got much to hide, ( i lead a pretty dull life unfortunately) and
i doubt that the authorities would ever be wanting to know what websites i
had been surfing, but if they did, i wouldn't really be happy if my ISP
handed over data without at least requesting some sort of verification of
the request.

El Chippy

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:47:52 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> GCSB?

http://www.gcsb.govt.nz/

Welcome to The GCSB
Vision:
"to provide world-class intelligence and information
assurance services to the New Zealand Government."

NZs version of the CIA basically.

Craig Whitmore

Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
> represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the blink of
> an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a signed warrant in
> front of them. And you cannot escape this data being logged by your ISP
> unless you do everything over an encrypted connection to a remote site.

Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or whatever
you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any Company/Person)
before they have to give any information out to them about someone else.
For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are 4 examples of agencies
that companies may have to supply information to and as far as I know a
company can suppliy information to any of them without a search warrant in
certain circumstances (Check the NZ Laws before you disagree with this)

Thanks

~misfit~

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Some ISPs will happily provide anyone claiming to
> > represent a law enforcement agency whatever they wish without the
> > blink of an eye, others wont disclose anything till they have a
> > signed warrant in front of them. And you cannot escape this data
> > being logged by your ISP unless you do everything over an encrypted
> > connection to a remote site.

> Different Law enforcement agencies have different laws/statutes (or
> whatever you call them) on what they need to give the ISP (Or any
> Company/Person) before they have to give any information out to them
> about someone else. For example the Customs, IRD, Police and GCSB are
> 4 examples of agencies that companies may have to supply information
> to and as far as I know a company can suppliy information to any of
> them without a search warrant in certain circumstances (Check the NZ
> Laws before you disagree with this)
> Thanks

GCSB?
--