Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Request for feedback on article

Request for feedback on article

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

Ok, I might be opening myself up for trouble here, but here goes.

I've contributed a couple of comments here and there about some of the
career and networking steps folks could take for themselves in spite of the
general economy. It's tough to get started in any career, and right now IT
just ain't fun.

Well, I've written Part I of a two-part article that will be published in
the newsletter of the Greater Cleveland PC Users Group (I'm Prez there).
It's on this page of my web site (a lame site, to be sure):
http://www.rlcoppedge.com/GCPCUGArticles.htm. It's a draft, so excuse any
typos or obvious blunders (but point them out, please<g>).

The first part deals with some of the reasons the IT biz is what it is. I'd
like to get some feedback from people that I can use in the article,
approaches that they find work, or don't work.

Um, the feedback pays as well as me writing the article in the first place -
squat. But I'd like to put together something that might be useful for
folks just entering into the IT biz.

Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.
--
RL (Author, Author!) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT wrote:
> Ok, I might be opening myself up for trouble here, but here goes.
>
> Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Nice read, Bob. I'm anxious to see how you address the "We can't hire you
because you have no experience and you can't get experience because we won't
hire you" issue. This is a common thread in the cert NG's.

You also touch on how when you get 150 vs. 15 resume's the applicant are
lucky to get a 30-second gloss-over. When you are in that situation,
perhaps you could provide some feedback from an employer's POV on what
catches your eye the most on a resume, and what causes you to skip over the
others.

--
Fris "I wonder if I was one of those 150" beeŽ, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics

Consultant

oh yeah, well, im president of the hair club for men

> Well, I've written Part I of a two-part article that will be published in
> the newsletter of the Greater Cleveland PC Users Group (I'm Prez there).
> It's on this page of my web site (a lame site, to be sure):
> http://www.rlcoppedge.com/GCPCUGArticles.htm. It's a draft, so excuse any
> typos or obvious blunders (but point them out, please<g>).
>
> The first part deals with some of the reasons the IT biz is what it is.

I'd
> like to get some feedback from people that I can use in the article,
> approaches that they find work, or don't work.
>
> Um, the feedback pays as well as me writing the article in the first

place -
> squat. But I'd like to put together something that might be useful for
> folks just entering into the IT biz.
>
> Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.
> --
> RL (Author, Author!) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
> NorthEast Ohio
> www.RLCoppedge.com
> (E-Mail Removed)

Jtyc

> in spite of the
> general economy.

*sigh*

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

Hey, I'm not only Prez, I'm a member!

--
RL (Hairy) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oh yeah, well, im president of the hair club for men
>
> > Well, I've written Part I of a two-part article that will be published

in
> > the newsletter of the Greater Cleveland PC Users Group (I'm Prez there).
> > It's on this page of my web site (a lame site, to be sure):
> > http://www.rlcoppedge.com/GCPCUGArticles.htm. It's a draft, so excuse

any
> > typos or obvious blunders (but point them out, please<g>).
> >
> > The first part deals with some of the reasons the IT biz is what it is.

> I'd
> > like to get some feedback from people that I can use in the article,
> > approaches that they find work, or don't work.
> >
> > Um, the feedback pays as well as me writing the article in the first

> place -
> > squat. But I'd like to put together something that might be useful for
> > folks just entering into the IT biz.
> >
> > Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.
> > --
> > RL (Author, Author!) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
> > NorthEast Ohio
> > www.RLCoppedge.com
> > (E-Mail Removed)

>Nice read, Bob. I'm anxious to see how you address the "We can't hire you
>because you have no experience and you can't get experience because we won't
>hire you" issue. This is a common thread in the cert NG's.

.... and has always been the case in IT.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT

That's definitely going to be part of the second article. I don't have all
the answers (who does?) but I've never seen in writing a concise definition
of the problem.

Plus I think that most jobs are given before the ads get put up. I'm going
to talk more about the proactive steps that folks could/should (IMHO) take.

thanks for the feedback
--
RL (whatdoIknow) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
NorthEast Ohio

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT wrote:
> > Ok, I might be opening myself up for trouble here, but here goes.
> >
> > Anywho, take a look, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

> Nice read, Bob. I'm anxious to see how you address the "We can't hire you
> because you have no experience and you can't get experience because we

won't
> hire you" issue. This is a common thread in the cert NG's.
>
> You also touch on how when you get 150 vs. 15 resume's the applicant are
> lucky to get a 30-second gloss-over. When you are in that situation,
> perhaps you could provide some feedback from an employer's POV on what
> catches your eye the most on a resume, and what causes you to skip over

the
> others.
>
> --
> Fris "I wonder if I was one of those 150" beeŽ, MCNGP #13
>
> The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
> http://www.mcngp.tk
>
> Certaholics

Rick

Very good article. I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

After finishing my Associates degree I moved through 2 jobs and at the 3rd I
went back to school for a second AS degree. I moved on to manage a 1 man IS
shop and persue professional certification. I am now on job number 5 and
working on upgrading from a 2000 MCSE to 2003 and taking Cisco test. I would
love to contribute some of my experiences especially about BS degress VS
experience.

Rick

news:OW$(E-Mail Removed)...