Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot connect to my available network

Cannot connect to my available network

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

I am using an HP ze5300 w/ a built in wireless nic. Running Win XP Pro SP 2.
My router is the Linksys WRT54G I have 64 encryption and shared key turned
on. I may also note that I have three other laptops that work fine with
these settings. On the HP, however, I can see my SSID network listed as
available, but cannot connect to it. I have tried turning off (WZC) Wireless
Zero Config. to no avail. I have turned off my firewall settings, tried
changing channels on the router, and event set up MAC filtering.....still
nada.

I don't think it is a SP 2 issue, because I was having the same problem
before upgrading, and I have all the latest driver updates and router
firmware.

I was kinda hoping that I would be able to find a third party software that
I could use in conjunction with my built-in Lan Express NIC and in place of
WZC....for some reason I am leaning on Zero Config being my trouble maker.

Any thoughts or advise would be most appriciated.

Thank you in advance!
--
David

Malke

David wrote:

> I am using an HP ze5300 w/ a built in wireless nic. Running Win XP
> Pro SP 2.
> My router is the Linksys WRT54G I have 64 encryption and shared key
> turned
> on. I may also note that I have three other laptops that work fine
> with
> these settings. On the HP, however, I can see my SSID network listed
> as
> available, but cannot connect to it. I have tried turning off (WZC)
> Wireless
> Zero Config. to no avail. I have turned off my firewall settings,
> tried changing channels on the router, and event set up MAC
> filtering.....still nada.
>
> I don't think it is a SP 2 issue, because I was having the same
> problem before upgrading, and I have all the latest driver updates and
> router firmware.
>
> I was kinda hoping that I would be able to find a third party software
> that I could use in conjunction with my built-in Lan Express NIC and
> in place of WZC....for some reason I am leaning on Zero Config being
> my trouble maker.
>
> Any thoughts or advise would be most appriciated.
>
> Thank you in advance!

Have you considered that it might be a hardware issue on the HP? If you
have a spare wireless pc card, you might try that in the HP and see if
you can connect. If you can, you know there's a problem with the
built-in hardware.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User