Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Realtek AC'97 -- No audio device

Realtek AC'97 -- No audio device

Ned H.

I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with the
conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the machine. Well
that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to use the AC'97.

I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device manager
that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel says no
audio device is installed.

So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently there
were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed the
latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a x64
driver.

After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up. Unless
the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was disabled
when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just speculation.

Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

Theo

1. What is the correct model number of your board? I
cannot find an AV9.

2. Did you re-enable the on-board sound in the BIOS?

3. Did you download the correct driver for your sound chip?
There are both AC'97 and HD drivers on the Realtek site.
The AC'97 Win x64 drivers have been available for over 3
years, I started using them with the beta version.

Ned H. wrote:
> I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
> installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with the
> conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the machine. Well
> that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to use the AC'97.
>
> I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device manager
> that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel says no
> audio device is installed.
>
> So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently there
> were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed the
> latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a x64
> driver.
>
> After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up. Unless
> the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was disabled
> when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just speculation.
>
> Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

R. C. White, MVP

Hi, Ned.

As Theo said, you need to enable the onboard audio in your BIOS. Until
you've done that, Vista can't do anything with it. I've never had an Abit
motherboard, so I don't know how to get into their BIOS utility. On my EPoX
board with an Award BIOS, I press <Del> very early in the boot process,
while it is detecting my hard drives and other hardware.

My board also has Realtek AC'97 audio onboard. When Vista Setup first
completed, there was no sound. But on the first visit to Windows Update -
which happened automatically soon after Setup - Vista detected the Realtek,
downloaded the driver, and installed it. Within minutes of Setup
completion, I had sound. ;<)

During the Vista beta period, about a year ago, I got tired of waiting for
Creative to produce a 64-bit driver for my old SoundBlaster, so I retired
the card, enabled onboard sound, and haven't been sorry. During the early
beta, I had to download drivers (both 32-bit and 64-bit) from Realtek, but
now the ones from WU are all I need.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Ned H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
>installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with the
>conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the machine. Well
>that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to use the AC'97.
>
> I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device
> manager that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel
> says no audio device is installed.
>
> So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently there
> were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed the
> latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a x64
> driver.
>
> After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up. Unless
> the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was disabled
> when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just speculation.
>
> Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

Ned H.

Type: AV8.

Bios? Didn't try that. Will take a look.

I am sure I got the right drivers.

Thanks, I'll check the bios and report back.

"Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. What is the correct model number of your board? I cannot find an AV9.
>
> 2. Did you re-enable the on-board sound in the BIOS?
>
> 3. Did you download the correct driver for your sound chip? There are
> both AC'97 and HD drivers on the Realtek site. The AC'97 Win x64 drivers
> have been available for over 3 years, I started using them with the beta
> version.
>
> Ned H. wrote:
>> I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
>> installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with
>> the conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the machine.
>> Well that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to use the
>> AC'97.
>>
>> I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device
>> manager that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel
>> says no audio device is installed.
>>
>> So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently there
>> were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed the
>> latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a x64
>> driver.
>>
>> After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up. Unless
>> the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was disabled
>> when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just speculation.
>>
>> Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

TJD

I did the exact same thing on my SuperMicro motherboard (AC'97 to SB to
AC'97) and had to change a jumper on the motherboard to turn off AC'97 -
there was no bios setting. So, you might check this too.

"Ned H." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Type: AV8.
>
> Bios? Didn't try that. Will take a look.
>
> I am sure I got the right drivers.
>
> Thanks, I'll check the bios and report back.
>
> "Theo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 1. What is the correct model number of your board? I cannot find an
>> AV9.
>>
>> 2. Did you re-enable the on-board sound in the BIOS?
>>
>> 3. Did you download the correct driver for your sound chip? There are
>> both AC'97 and HD drivers on the Realtek site. The AC'97 Win x64 drivers
>> have been available for over 3 years, I started using them with the beta
>> version.
>>
>> Ned H. wrote:
>>> I have an Abit AV9 MB with an Realtek AC'97 audio capability. Prior to
>>> installing x64 on the current machine, I had disabled the AC'97 in with
>>> the conventional XP Pro OS as I had a Creative sound card in the
>>> machine. Well that Creative sound card just failed and I would like to
>>> use the AC'97.
>>>
>>> I pulled the creative card. No sound cards showed up in the device
>>> manager that I could see. The "sound" controller from the control panel
>>> says no audio device is installed.
>>>
>>> So I did some quick research on the net to find that until recently
>>> there were no x64 drivers for the AC'97. So I downloaded and installed
>>> the latest drivers from the Realtek site. They are said to include a
>>> x64 driver.
>>>
>>> After installation and a restart, still no audio device shows up.
>>> Unless the chip has failed, I suspect the problem might be that it was
>>> disabled when I installed this OS as an upgrade. But this is just
>>> speculation.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on next stepts would be welcome.

Ned H.

Yeah, it was the bios. I had it disabled and forgot about it.

How dumb!

news:uP$(E-Mail Removed)...