Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > SQL Server setup

SQL Server setup

jmc

I'm about to start studying for 70-229 and I'm trying to decide whether to
run SQL Server on my local machine or with a site hosting service. I'm
concerned the lack of administrative and other server-side controls through
a hosting service's web-based control panel would mean I can't do everything
I need to do study for the exam. I have never used a hosting service that
offers SQL Server so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Robert Boesen

Have you considered Virtual PC or VMWare they are great tools to be able to
set up a environment without affecting your Machine. I have set up a
complete domain and been able to break it without worrying about how I am
going to explain to my wife I broke our computer and she can not check
e-mail until I fix it.

Rob

"jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to start studying for 70-229 and I'm trying to decide whether to
> run SQL Server on my local machine or with a site hosting service. I'm
> concerned the lack of administrative and other server-side controls

through
> a hosting service's web-based control panel would mean I can't do

everything
> I need to do study for the exam. I have never used a hosting service that
> offers SQL Server so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any suggestions?
> Thanks.

jmc

Thanks for the advice, I was definately considering VPC and now that I think
about it that's probably the smartest way to go. Cost effective too. I
just demo'd a web-based SQL Server interface and it sure wasn't good.

"Robert Boesen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you considered Virtual PC or VMWare they are great tools to be able

> set up a environment without affecting your Machine. I have set up a
> complete domain and been able to break it without worrying about how I am
> going to explain to my wife I broke our computer and she can not check
> e-mail until I fix it.
>
> Rob
>
> "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm about to start studying for 70-229 and I'm trying to decide whether

> > run SQL Server on my local machine or with a site hosting service. I'm
> > concerned the lack of administrative and other server-side controls

> through
> > a hosting service's web-based control panel would mean I can't do

> everything
> > I need to do study for the exam. I have never used a hosting service

that
> > offers SQL Server so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any

suggestions?
> > Thanks.

Paul Lynch

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:08:29 -0400, "jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for the advice, I was definately considering VPC and now that I think
>about it that's probably the smartest way to go. Cost effective too. I
>just demo'd a web-based SQL Server interface and it sure wasn't good.

Microsoft have their own web admin interface and it is actually pretty
damn good. I'm testing it right now against an instance of SQL Server
2000 which is running on a VPC 2004 virtual machine on the same PC.
It works extremely well as far as I can see. Download details here :

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

jmc

That's good to know, but at the moment I'm trying to avoid having to
install/setup/configure/run SQL Server on my local machine. I'm studying
for 70-305 now and need to do some basic database stuff (querying northwind,
stored procedures) so I figured a third party MSSQL host would work out.
But I'm not sure if I want to pay for it if I can't use it for 70-229,
because by then I'll probably have SQL Server running locally.

If/when I do the SQL install I'll definately take advantage of the web
interface, thanks for the link.

> Microsoft have their own web admin interface and it is actually pretty
> damn good. I'm testing it right now against an instance of SQL Server
> 2000 which is running on a VPC 2004 virtual machine on the same PC.
> It works extremely well as far as I can see. Download details here :

> Regards,
>
> Paul Lynch
> MCSE

SJ

Or just download the 120 day eval copy of SQL. You can find it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluat...al/default.asp

Having passed the 229 and regularly teach 2073 (programming SQL Server
2000), I think you'd be missing out on some key material if you just
use a web based interface. With the 120 day eval, you have Enterprise
Manager, Query Analyzer, Books Online, SQL Profiler and all the other
tools included. This is not to say that a web based interface isn't
worth learning, but rather that it may leave some holes in your
knowledge for the test.

HTH

sj
MCSE, MCDBA....