Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WEP/Network key

WEP/Network key

Bob Moyer

I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter is
visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network, but I
can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but it is lost
now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here and not mess
up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her own network?
Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Bob

Bob Lucas

"Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up,
>I used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My
>daughter is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in
>this network, but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I
>wrote it down but it is lost now. What can I do so that she can use
>this while she is here and not mess up any of her settings for when she
>gets back home on her own network? Please help, I would greatly
>appreciate it. Thank you.
>
> Bob

I assume all of the computers are running Windows XP?

To establish a working network, each computer must have a unique name -
and must be part of the same workgroup. To check the computer names and
workgroup names, right click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop of
each computer. Select "Properties". Then click on the Computer Name
tab.

Make sure both of your computers are in the same workgroup. This is
important for file or printer sharing. You can use any name for the
workgroup - a typical default workgroup is MSHOME. Then, provided the
computer names are unique, you won't not need to change anything else.
Otherwise, make any changes that may be necessary.

If you don't know your existing WEP key, it may be easier to choose
select new keys for your home (2 computer) network. Refer to your
router manual for instructions. Make a careful note of the new WEP key.
Having changed the WEP key on the router, you will also need to change
it on both of your own computers.

When your daughter arrives, make sure her laptop has a unique computer
name - and is using the same workgroup name as your network. Then, if
she has not done so previously, she should run the networking wizard on
her laptop (which may be unnecessary, if she already connects to a
network at her home)..

When she enables the wireless signal on her laptop, her computer should
search for available networks. If it doesn't search, she can open
Control Panel and then, click on Network connections. Select "Wireless
Network Connection", followed by "View Wireless Networks".

When her laptop finds your network, it will ask her to input your WEP
encryption key (which you have written down). When she inputs the WEP
key, her computer will remember the details for future connections. She
should have access to your network and be able to use your internet
connection. If required, she can also install details of your network
printer or printers on her laptop.

When she returns home, your daughter may need to revert to her original
workgroup name. Details of her own network will still be on her laptop,
so she should not experience any problems connecting to her own network.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Log with your regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus.
Make a New WEP key, and copy it to all Wireless computers.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
>used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter
>is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network,
>but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but it
>is lost now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here and
>not mess up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her own
>network? Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
>
> Bob

Bob Moyer

Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the WEP
key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your regular
computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was installed by
Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on to the Router
Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we have XP installed
on all three computers in question.

Bob

"Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
>used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter
>is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network,
>but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but it
>is lost now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here and
>not mess up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her own
>network? Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
>
> Bob

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If the Wireless was provided by Verizon you probably have a Manual, or you
can find info on Verizom support site.
Usually it is done by typing the IP number of the Wireless Router (Access
Point) to the Internet Browser Addreess box.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23D0Y$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
> carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the
> WEP key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your
> regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was
> installed by Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on to
> the Router Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we have
> XP installed on all three computers in question.
>
> Bob
>

> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
>>used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter
>>is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network,
>>but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but it
>>is lost now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here and
>>not mess up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her own
>>network? Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
>>
>> Bob

BruceM

If it's only for 4 days or so, grab a cat5 cable & just plug that in for
her. Much easier?
Any spare ports on the router?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> If the Wireless was provided by Verizon you probably have a Manual, or you
> can find info on Verizom support site.
> Usually it is done by typing the IP number of the Wireless Router (Access
> Point) to the Internet Browser Addreess box.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23D0Y$$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
>> carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the
>> WEP key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your
>> regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was
>> installed by Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on
>> to the Router Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we
>> have XP installed on all three computers in question.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
>>>used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter
>>>is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network,
>>>but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but
>>>it is lost now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here
>>>and not mess up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her
>>>own network? Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Bob

Bob Moyer

Managed to find the online manual at Verizon. Found that the WEP key is
printed on the bottom of the router. I was going to log on as suggested and
change everything but I found out that the 'installer' must have changed the
default "username" and "password". I gather from reading the online help
from Verizon, that my only choice is to reset the router to the factory
defaults. But I could not find out for sure what exactly would be reset. If
it is just the username and password, then I can handle that. If it somehow
resets a whole bunch of settings then I am up the creek as I am just an
'end-user' and not very tech minded. Thanks again for your suggestions at
least you got me on the right path.

Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> If the Wireless was provided by Verizon you probably have a Manual, or you
> can find info on Verizom support site.
> Usually it is done by typing the IP number of the Wireless Router (Access
> Point) to the Internet Browser Addreess box.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23D0Y$$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
>> carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the
>> WEP key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your
>> regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was
>> installed by Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on
>> to the Router Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we
>> have XP installed on all three computers in question.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a very small network at home (2 computers). When I set them up, I
>>>used the setup wizard for networking and all is working well. My daughter
>>>is visiting and I would like to get her laptop involved in this network,
>>>but I can't find the WEP key or network key, I know I wrote it down but
>>>it is lost now. What can I do so that she can use this while she is here
>>>and not mess up any of her settings for when she gets back home on her
>>>own network? Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Bob

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Yeah, be careful, reset would reset every thing to factory default.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Managed to find the online manual at Verizon. Found that the WEP key is
> printed on the bottom of the router. I was going to log on as suggested
> and change everything but I found out that the 'installer' must have
> changed the default "username" and "password". I gather from reading the
> online help from Verizon, that my only choice is to reset the router to
> the factory defaults. But I could not find out for sure what exactly would
> be reset. If it is just the username and password, then I can handle that.
> If it somehow resets a whole bunch of settings then I am up the creek as I
> am just an 'end-user' and not very tech minded. Thanks again for your
> suggestions at least you got me on the right path.
>
> Bob
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> If the Wireless was provided by Verizon you probably have a Manual, or
>> you can find info on Verizom support site.
>> Usually it is done by typing the IP number of the Wireless Router (Access
>> Point) to the Internet Browser Addreess box.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23D0Y$$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you both (Bob Lucas & Jack). As I mentioned before, due to my own
>>> carelessness/stupidity, I have either lost or thrown out my copy of the
>>> WEP key that I so carefully wrote down. Jack mentioned "Log with your
>>> regular computer to the Router Wireless Menus." I have FIOS that was
>>> installed by Verizon by their techs. I have no idea how I would 'log on
>>> to the Router Wireless Menus' so that I could make a new WEP key. And we
>>> have XP installed on all three computers in question.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>

>>> "Bob Moyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ben Chia

Hi,

The network encryption is accessible by going into your Router database using router IP address on Explorer. Your Router IP is given to you on your Router manual. Click submit without any password and change your network key.
Simple.

Ben