Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+

 
 
=?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004
Sandworm wrote:
> Hey there guys,
>
> Just wanted to let you know that with the passing score
> of 796 out of god know's (what the max is that is) on the
> 70-224 this morning I am now a newly christened (I broke
> the bottle of champagne over my skull, ahhh that feels
> better) MCSE in W2K.


Congrats, of course!

> So hey Frisbee, need a new Jr. Admin in the Orlando area?


I'm actually a couple hours north of there in Gainesville. Not sure what
the job market is for admins hereabouts.

BTW, "the diagnosis" came yesterday.

3.5 friggin' years of evaluations.

And they tell us what everyone else up until now had discounted.

Both of my boys are autistic.

High-functioning (not Asperger's, though).

They actually have high average IQ's in their non-verbal testing with only
one point difference between them.

Now at least since we have an "official" label, we can get the services we
need.

There's going to be further testing done to attempt to determine the cause
of the autism, but it's likely they won't find anything. They're scheduling
MRI's for both. Twin B (Dylan) had an MRI three years ago, but this will be
Twin A's (Dustin's) first. They're also planning on doing more genetic
testing.

Good news is that they will continue to get speech and occupational, and
probably physical therapy now, and will be getting aides in school. They've
had aides up until now anyway, but it was probably going to stop in 1st
grade without the diagnosis.

My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back down again in the
fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and your family when I go
down to visit him.

--
Fris "Dad of the Disc Golf Twins" bee®, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004


----- Frisbee® wrote: ----

<snip> comments inline from this point Fris.
> So hey Frisbee, need a new Jr. Admin in the Orlando area


>>> I'm actually a couple hours north of there in Gainesville. Not sure wha
>>> the job market is for admins hereabouts


Thanks for the tip, I'm sending stuff out on Monster right now
and upgrading my hard copy for mailing and interviews. I also have a
couple of people I know in the industry here in town so I'm gonna
be giving them my resume as well since they told me to give them
a copy so they can drop them off and put in a good word with
their HR people. So hopefully all goes well.

>>> BTW, "the diagnosis" came yesterday


>>> 3.5 friggin' years of evaluations


Yeah, Dr's seem to be slow as erosion except when it come
to billing you huh.

>>> And they tell us what everyone else up until now had discounted


>>> Both of my boys are autistic


At least now you know, it's alot easier to get therapies and treatmen
plans going now that we know what your dealing with. We saw Rober
(the boy with autism I told you about in my neighborhood) yesterda
while he was riding his bike. Did you know that the Elk's provide a
free Physical Therapy program for disabled children by the way?

>>> High-functioning (not Asperger's, though)


>>> They actually have high average IQ's in their non-verbal testing with onl
>>> one point difference between them


>>> Now at least since we have an "official" label, we can get the services w
>>> need


>>>There's going to be further testing done to attempt to determine the caus
>>>of the autism, but it's likely they won't find anything. They're schedulin
>>>MRI's for both. Twin B (Dylan) had an MRI three years ago, but this will b
>>>Twin A's (Dustin's) first. They're also planning on doing more geneti
>>>testing


>>>Good news is that they will continue to get speech and occupational, an
>>>probably physical therapy now, and will be getting aides in school. They'v
>>>had aides up until now anyway, but it was probably going to stop in 1s
>>>grade without the diagnosis


Good deal, by the way I never heard back from you before, have you eve
heard of the McKay Scholarship Program here in FL? The state will give yo
the money to send them to private school. That was one of the things I was
gonna tell you about, as well as the Elk's Therapy program. So if you didn't
know about it you can get the info (re: McKay) from your kid's public school as well.

>>>My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back down again in th
>>>fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and your family when I g
>>>down to visit him


Sounds cool (of course since we're in humidity hell that's figuratively cool), actuall
the CC that's near my house here has a disc golf course right out back that is
almost never used, so we can put it to work!!

So I hope to hear from you again, when your coming down send me a note a
sandworm999 at hotmail dot com so we can try to work it out.

C-ya,
Ed.

--
>>> Fris "Dad of the Disc Golf Twins" bee®, MCNGP #1


>>>The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
>>> http://www.mcngp.t



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?Q?Frisbee=C2=AE?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004
Sandworm wrote:
>
> Good deal, by the way I never heard back from you before, have you
> ever
> heard of the McKay Scholarship Program here in FL? The state will
> give you
> the money to send them to private school. That was one of the things
> I was
> gonna tell you about, as well as the Elk's Therapy program. So if
> you didn't
> know about it you can get the info (re: McKay) from your kid's public
> school as well.


Whoa! The McKay thing is a great find! I've passed a link to their web
page to my wife. We've often wanted to send the boys to a private school,
but could never afford it. This seems to make that possible now.

>>>> My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back down
>>>> again in the fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and
>>>> your family when I go down to visit him.

>
> Sounds cool (of course since we're in humidity hell that's
> figuratively cool), actually the CC that's near my house here has a
> disc golf course right out back that is
> almost never used, so we can put it to work!!!


I've played Barnett Park, Turkey Lake, and the UCF courses. Perhaps yours
is one I'm not aware of.

> So I hope to hear from you again, when your coming down send me a
> note at
> sandworm999 at hotmail dot com so we can try to work it out.


e-mail addy archived for later use...

btw, I'm billh at dasi-software dot com

--
Fris "McKay rocks" bee®, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2004


----- Frisbee® wrote: ----

>>Whoa! The McKay thing is a great find! I've passed a link to their we
>>page to my wife. We've often wanted to send the boys to a private school
>>but could never afford it. This seems to make that possible now


Cool, glad to hear the info was new and of some use to you and the wife!
I have done my mitzpha for the day then.

Talk to ya later,
Ed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2004
I've been an avid lurker (and rare poster)of this ng for
several years and your post about your boys really hit
home. My daughter was also diagnosed with high
functioning autism (PDD-NOS). It's really becoming an
epidemic in this country, yet it doesn't receive nearly
the attention it deserves. Getting the label, as you say,
will allow you to get the help your boys need, which is
the important thing. Besides that, it's useless and will
likely change as time goes by. In our case, it has
allowed my daughter to be bussed to an out of district
school that specializes in children with ASDs (Autism
Spectrum Disorders), and has been just awesome for her.
It's a good thing, too because the special needs classes
in our local school really suck the big one. Good luck to
you.

Chris
MCSA, A+, Net+

>-----Original Message-----
>Sandworm wrote:
>> Hey there guys,
>>
>> Just wanted to let you know that with the passing score
>> of 796 out of god know's (what the max is that is) on

the
>> 70-224 this morning I am now a newly christened (I broke
>> the bottle of champagne over my skull, ahhh that feels
>> better) MCSE in W2K.

>
>Congrats, of course!
>
>> So hey Frisbee, need a new Jr. Admin in the Orlando

area?
>
>I'm actually a couple hours north of there in

Gainesville. Not sure what
>the job market is for admins hereabouts.
>
>BTW, "the diagnosis" came yesterday.
>
>3.5 friggin' years of evaluations.
>
>And they tell us what everyone else up until now had

discounted.
>
>Both of my boys are autistic.
>
>High-functioning (not Asperger's, though).
>
>They actually have high average IQ's in their non-verbal

testing with only
>one point difference between them.
>
>Now at least since we have an "official" label, we can

get the services we
>need.
>
>There's going to be further testing done to attempt to

determine the cause
>of the autism, but it's likely they won't find anything.

They're scheduling
>MRI's for both. Twin B (Dylan) had an MRI three years

ago, but this will be
>Twin A's (Dustin's) first. They're also planning on

doing more genetic
>testing.
>
>Good news is that they will continue to get speech and

occupational, and
>probably physical therapy now, and will be getting aides

in school. They've
>had aides up until now anyway, but it was probably going

to stop in 1st
>grade without the diagnosis.
>
>My dad winters in Kissimmee, so maybe when he comes back

down again in the
>fall, I might make a point to meet up with you and your

family when I go
>down to visit him.
>
>--
>Fris "Dad of the Disc Golf Twins" bee®, MCNGP #13
>
>The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
>http://www.mcngp.tk
>
>Certaholics
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics
>
>.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2004
Chris wrote:
> I've been an avid lurker (and rare poster)of this ng for
> several years and your post about your boys really hit
> home.


Well post some more! I can use all the help I can get!

> My daughter was also diagnosed with high
> functioning autism (PDD-NOS).


Yes, PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified for
those in here who though that might have been a certification), is what the
boys were diagnosed with at about the age of three. How old is your
daughter, and how is she coming along?

> It's really becoming an
> epidemic in this country, yet it doesn't receive nearly
> the attention it deserves.


They still cite rather low instances of autism. Something like one in five
hundred. While they do not think (yet) that it's genetic in my boys, my
thinking is that it would almost have to be. They are not identical, but
fraternal (I'm 99.99% sure of that, they've not been tested), so the odds of
TWO brothers being autistic and it not being genetic, when the odds are one
in five hundred... twice?

> Getting the label, as you say,
> will allow you to get the help your boys need, which is
> the important thing.


Absolutely. And with my salary, I'll take all the free help I can get.

> Besides that, it's useless and will
> likely change as time goes by.


I'm hoping it will change as time goes by. If it is indeed autism, I
realize that they will be autistic for the rest of their lives, but I want
to believe that they, as "high functioning" will be able to lead fairly
normal lives.

> In our case, it has
> allowed my daughter to be bussed to an out of district
> school that specializes in children with ASDs (Autism
> Spectrum Disorders), and has been just awesome for her.


Sandworm introduced me to the McKay scholarship, but so far my wife has been
ice-cold to it. We're in a pretty decent school right now, and we don't
know that there's any better services in any other school around here,
public or private, to justify moving them at this time. Were we to go with
the scholarship, however, we'd have to provide the transportation for the
boys, and that's already an issue, since I don't drive. There's also the
matter that the scholarship only pays the equivalent of what the public
school system would save (in taxpayer dollars) for the boys to not attend
public school, which would probably provide a "discount" on most private
schools, and not pay the full tuition amounts. See: "We're strapped" I
wonder if there is a school close to here (Gainesville, FL) that specializes
in ASD's. You're quite lucky to have one near you.

> It's a good thing, too because the special needs classes
> in our local school really suck the big one. Good luck to
> you.


Has the ASD specialty school helped your daughter in your opinion?

Don't be a stranger... post.

You, me, and Sandworm could start a special club just for IT Dads who have
kids with special needs...

--
Fris "IT Dads, Inc." bee, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2004
>How old is your
>daughter, and how is she coming along?


My daughter is 5. We suspected there was a problem when
she didn't speak at around 2 - 2 1/2. We had a few months
of "Early Intervention" through our town, until she turned
3 when she entered the special school. At first we
thought she was apraxic, (not autistic - but where the
signals from the brain to the mouth/jaw just aren't
happening. A child can learn to overcome apraxia through
hard work.) But more testing (and just plain common-
sense) lead to the conclusion that she has high-
functioning autistism.

>They still cite rather low instances of autism.

Something like one in five
>hundred.


....and in 4 out of 5 cases they are boys.

> While they do not think (yet) that it's genetic in my

boys, my
>thinking is that it would almost have to be. They are

not identical, but
>fraternal (I'm 99.99% sure of that, they've not been

tested), so the odds of
>TWO brothers being autistic and it not being genetic,

when the odds are one
>in five hundred... twice?


This is a big grey area. The fact is nobody really knows
what causes autism. Genetic, environmental... I've heard
recently that they might have isolated an "autism gene",
but after initially hearing about it, I haven't heard
anything since.

My wife and I go through periods of questioning ourselves -
what could have went wrong? I blame myself because prior
to us having any kids, I dabbled quite a bit in
electronics, spending many late nights breathing in solder
fumes (lead). Also in renovating our house, which was
built in 1929 I almost certainly released lead-based dust
into the air. My wife thinks it's her, because she has a
nephew with PDD, and thinks there's a genetic link.

I also have a 7 year old son, who is as bright as any 7
year old on the planet. He's always explaining to my wife
how to browse the internet and retrieve her e-mail and why
it's important not to just turn off the power strip on the
inkjet printer because it doesn't shut down properly. His
latest thing is every night after work him and I sit on
the front porch and he grills me about the difference
between a virus, worm, trojan horse... Then we move into
firewalls, etc... It's really quite ridiculous explaining
this stuff to a 7 year old, ...and him getting it!

>Absolutely. And with my salary, I'll take all the free

help I can get.

I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send my
daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!

>I'm hoping it will change as time goes by. If it is

indeed autism, I
>realize that they will be autistic for the rest of their

lives, but I want
>to believe that they, as "high functioning" will be able

to lead fairly
>normal lives.


Have you heard of / read any of Temple Grandin? She is a
Phd, and also autistic. She designs equipment for the
livestock industry. (One third of all systems in the
US). I highly recommend checking her out - it's very
interesting to hear what it's like from the "other side".
She has excerpts from her books on her site.

www.grandin.com


>Sandworm introduced me to the McKay scholarship,


Never heard of it - I'll check it out.

>Has the ASD specialty school helped your daughter in your

opinion?

Immensely. It's the best thing that's happened to her.
(aside from my wife, who's the best!)

>You, me, and Sandworm could start a special club just for

IT Dads who have
>kids with special needs...


I'd be happy to exchange e-mail addresses with you. It's
always nice to have people in similar situations to bounce
stuff off of. Also, to exchange info/references...

Chris
IT Dads, Inc.
Member #3

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2004
>I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send
my
>daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!


Oops, that should be $60K/year!

$60/year I could handle!
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2004
Chris wrote:
>> I hear you. My town spends upwards of $60/year to send my
>> daughter out of district. I could NEVER aford that!

>
> Oops, that should be $60K/year!
>
> $60/year I could handle!


I was gonna say... Man, I thought I was poor.

--
Fris "So your daughter is attending Harvard?" bee, MCNGP #13

The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
http://www.mcngp.tk

Certaholics
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/certaholics

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2004
There is a law in NJ (where we live) that says that a
child MUST be able to receive an "appropriate education"
and if a town cannot provide one in district, they are
required to bus the student out of district to a town that
can provide an appropriate education. I'm sure a big
chunk of the $60K is spent on transportation (1 hr ride
each way).

That's why we have to fight with our case worker every
year at the IEP meeting (Individualized Education Plan) to
get them to agree to continue allowing her to go to this
school. Hence, this is where the "labels" come in. I
don't care what you call her as long as she gets what she
needs.

I looked at the McKay Scholarship info and apparently FL
doesn't have a similar law?

Chris
IT Dads, Inc.
Member #3
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+ Neil MCSE 4 06-01-2004 06:49 PM
RE: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+ =?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHdvcm0=?= MCSE 22 06-01-2004 06:45 PM
Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+ Brat MCSE 11 06-01-2004 06:02 PM
Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+ JaR MCSE 0 06-01-2004 05:05 PM
Re: 13 Months = 1 MCSE (W2K), MCP and A+ The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere MCSE 0 06-01-2004 05:02 PM



Advertisments