Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2950 trunk

2950 trunk

Brian V

"Smokey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian V wrote:
>>
>> what are you using to route the vlans? The 2950 is only a layer 2 switch,
>> the vlans will never be able to talk to eachother without a layer 3
>> device.

> You should be able to create vlans on 2 switches and communicate as long
> as the 2 devices are in the same vlan. you do not need a layer 3 device
> unless you are routing to a different vlan.

Obviously. I misread his statement, I thought he said devices within the
same vlan could ping eachother but could not ping other vlans which would
imply a layer 3 device is needed.

BernieM

"John Tressle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:s0AQh.32296$(E-Mail Removed) k...

>> why do you use 10Mbps for the trunk?
>> I'm not shure whether 802.1q is running on 10Mbps.
>>
>> If it doesn't help:
>> send an overview, something like
>> PC - fa0/1 - switchA - fa0/20 - fa0/1 - switchB - fa0/24 PC
>> send also a "show cdp neigh"
>> and of course the config (if you've allredy changed something)
>>
>> lw

> Thanks for your help with this so far - it's really appreciated. The trunk
> ports are currently set to 10Mb because the link between the 2 switches is
> actually a leased line which is presented as 10Mb on both ends - should
> this make a difference?

I think you'll find it's what makes the difference. Does your vendor
support the trunking of 'non-default vlans'? ie. provide for the other
vlans being trunked through their equipment.

BernieM

Peter

Hi John,

> Thanks for your help with this so far - it's really appreciated. The trunk
> ports are currently set to 10Mb because the link between the 2 switches is
> actually a leased line which is presented as 10Mb on both ends - should this
> make a difference?

What format is this "Leased Line" presented in, is it capable of
passing data as a TRUNK or is it presented as a simple VLAN itself? If
it is a simple VLAN, then it will only be capable of delivering the
DEFAULT vlan for the switch, which is VLAN 1, as your TRUNK port will
be treated as an ACCESS port by the WAN link. You could test this by
changing the DEFAULT VLAN on the switch and see if that one is passed
instead of VLAN 1.

Cheers.................pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.

John Tressle

> Hi John,
>
>> Thanks for your help with this so far - it's really appreciated. The
>> trunk
>> ports are currently set to 10Mb because the link between the 2 switches
>> is
>> actually a leased line which is presented as 10Mb on both ends - should
>> this
>> make a difference?

> What format is this "Leased Line" presented in, is it capable of
> passing data as a TRUNK or is it presented as a simple VLAN itself? If
> it is a simple VLAN, then it will only be capable of delivering the
> DEFAULT vlan for the switch, which is VLAN 1, as your TRUNK port will
> be treated as an ACCESS port by the WAN link. You could test this by
> changing the DEFAULT VLAN on the switch and see if that one is passed
> instead of VLAN 1.
>
> Cheers.................pk.
>

> --
> Peter from Auckland.

Guys - thanks for all your help with this. I've spoken with the provider of
the leased line and that is indeed where the problem lies. Hopefully they'll
be able to enable this on the line which should sort out my issue. Thanks
again - you've saved my a great deal of time.

Cheers,
John

linkwood

Hi John,

I guess your provider somehow drops 802.1q tagged frames.
(Since vlan1 is native it's not tagged and therefor it works)
This could be due to the fact that the provider provides a vlan to you.
So if this provider vlan should support transport of your vlans your
provider needs to support Q-in-Q tagging.

Best way is to check this with your provider since as far as I can see
your config should work.

Regards
lw

2950 to 7200 trunk nbywater Cisco 0 07-03-2007 03:30 PM
differnce between a 2950 xl and a 2950 Cisco switch? Tacobell Cisco 5 03-13-2007 07:18 AM
Two 2950 in trunk sharing 1 common vlan filouchke Cisco 0 11-15-2006 10:23 PM
DHCP on a 2621 through a trunk to a 2950 J Cisco 3 02-08-2006 04:10 AM
Re: cat 5000 trunk poort error disabled. Siegbert =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=FCller?= Cisco 0 07-08-2003 11:51 AM

Advertisments