Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Triple boot: XP 32-bit, Vista 32- & 64-bit?

Triple boot: XP 32-bit, Vista 32- & 64-bit?

=?Utf-8?B?ZWRzYWdlcg==?=

Hello All,

I currenlty have a dual boot system with XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Ultimate
32-bit. I have 23 days left on the Vista OS before I need to activate or
rearm. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with triple-booting
with XP Pro 32-bit, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.

Obviously, I would not activate either Vista installation until I made a
decision as to what is best for my situation, but I am concerned about
booting difficulties, loss of restore points and especially whether using the
disk management tools with Vista (i.e., partition manager) will destroy my
partitions when creating a new partition for the Vista 64-bit.

What do you all think? Too many problems? Interesting idea for testing
purposes? Do not do it? Anything else?

Thank you,
edsager

John Barnes

You will have the same restore point, shadow copy problem you have with
Vista86. Otherwise you should have no problems and just be careful to
uncheck the activate on install box when you install. Also, be sure to
uninstall the one you chose not to activate. You will have only the normal
problems using Vista's Disk Management for creating the new partition. It
will not shrink to less than the area where it runs into the first unmovable
file. As has been pointed out before, you can eliminate your hibernate
file, page file and restore/shadow files and run the defrag program to
potentially increase the chances of success.

"edsager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I currenlty have a dual boot system with XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Ultimate
> 32-bit. I have 23 days left on the Vista OS before I need to activate or
> rearm. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with
> triple-booting
> with XP Pro 32-bit, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.
>
> Obviously, I would not activate either Vista installation until I made a
> decision as to what is best for my situation, but I am concerned about
> booting difficulties, loss of restore points and especially whether using
> the
> disk management tools with Vista (i.e., partition manager) will destroy my
> partitions when creating a new partition for the Vista 64-bit.
>
> What do you all think? Too many problems? Interesting idea for testing
> purposes? Do not do it? Anything else?
>
> Thank you,
> edsager

mikeyhsd

have triple booted xp pro x-64, vista 64 and vista 32.
all was well till the vista 32 wanted to activate after the vista 64 had done so and got the key in use message as expected.

[...]

My final question (which I should have asked originally) is whether or not it
will make any difference to have a 64-bit OS.

I have 4 GB PC3200 DDR (max amount available = 4 GB);
I would like to use a 4 GB USB to take advantage of Ready Boost;
I do a fair amount of video/audio creation;
I use speech recognition (and will do so much more when Dragon
NaturallySpeaking comes out with its Pro patch);
I utilize dual monitors;
I do a lot of high-speed scanning and OCR;
I set virtual memory to 4606 MB to 7606 MB;
Lots of multi-tasking with Office 2007 & Macromedia Studio 8, to a name just
a couple titles.
I use the PAE switch with Vista 32-bit and XP Pro 32-bit and my BIOS does
recognize 4 GB of installed memory.

Thank you all for your responses,
edsager
___________________________________

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> have triple booted xp pro x-64, vista 64 and vista 32.
> all was well till the vista 32 wanted to activate after the vista 64 had done so and got the key in use message as expected.
>

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "edsager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello All,
>
> I currenlty have a dual boot system with XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Ultimate
> 32-bit. I have 23 days left on the Vista OS before I need to activate or
> rearm. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with triple-booting
> with XP Pro 32-bit, Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.
>
> Obviously, I would not activate either Vista installation until I made a
> decision as to what is best for my situation, but I am concerned about
> booting difficulties, loss of restore points and especially whether using the
> disk management tools with Vista (i.e., partition manager) will destroy my
> partitions when creating a new partition for the Vista 64-bit.
>
> What do you all think? Too many problems? Interesting idea for testing
> purposes? Do not do it? Anything else?
>
> Thank you,
> edsager

R. C. White, MVP

Hi, Edsager.

You probably won't see very much difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Vista
performance...YET. I'm sure the differences are coming, as soon as
developers get familiar with 64-bit and start churning out updated software.
Until recently, there weren't enough 64-bit computers in service to create
enough of a market to entice them, but Vista x64 is changing that.

As to triple-boot: No problem! During the Vista beta, I was multi-booting
(octo-booting?) as many as 8 Windows/Vista installations: both 32-bit and
64-bit versions of WinXP and both versions of up to 3 Vista beta builds.
Now that the beta is over, I'm down to only WinXP x64, Vista x86 and Vista
x64 - but I haven't booted anything but Vista Ultimate x64 in a month or
two. I've not used any third-party boot managers, just what's built into
WinXP and Vista. And, since I haven't used Restore Points, I haven't run
into those problems that I've seen reported by others.

I'm now running an EPoX MF570SLI motherboard with AMD Athlon X2 5000+ CPU
and 2 GB PC6400 RAM, with 4 SATA II HDs. I'm using ReadyBoost with a 2 GB
USB stick.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA