Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > GETTIN BUSY WITH THE 20D !

GETTIN BUSY WITH THE 20D !

Annika1980

Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
and they are already very "active."
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467

These are a little more decent, I must say:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510469

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472

Alan Browne

Annika1980 wrote:
> Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out

> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470

The shaddow makes this one... oh cripes, 8 months of bugs to come...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

helensilverburg@hotmail.com

On Apr 1, 7:29 pm, "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
> and they are already very "active."http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467
>
> These are a little more decent, I must say:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510469
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472

Awesome macro shots! This one is downright scary
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472
Great work!
Helen

uw wayne

On Apr 1, 6:29 pm, "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
> and they are already very "active."http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467
>
> These are a little more decent, I must say:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510469
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472

uw wayne

On Apr 1, 6:29 pm, "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
> and they are already very "active."http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467
>
> These are a little more decent, I must say:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510469
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472

Sorry for empty reply. Bret, the subject is terrific. The capture
leaves a whole lot to be desired. You are one stubborn Southern
S.O.A.B. Yeah, it (the subject) was active. But how about a mono
instaed of your committed adversion to the use of a tripod. It would
be a giant improvement. P.S. If you are fervent in your determination
not to use "manual" IS (a tri/mono/pod), than get a real IS lens.

Bob Williams

Annika1980 wrote:
> Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
> and they are already very "active."
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467

Funneee!
I've never seen bugs in a "menage a trois" before.
The one in the middle is called "Lucky Pierre"
Bob Williams

On Apr 2, 2:08 am, "uw wayne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 6:29 pm, "Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Well, Macro Maniacs, the bugs are out
> > and they are already very "active."http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510467

> > These are a little more decent, I must say:

> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510469

> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510470

> >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/76510472

> Sorry for empty reply. Bret, the subject is terrific. The capture
> leaves a whole lot to be desired. You are one stubborn Southern
> S.O.A.B. Yeah, it (the subject) was active. But how about a mono
> instaed of your committed adversion to the use of a tripod. It would
> be a giant improvement. P.S. If you are fervent in your determination
> not to use "manual" IS (a tri/mono/pod), than get a real IS lens.

You do realize that this is Macro photography. DOF is very shallow,
especially when up this close. He focused on the eyes/face and that
is what is sharp.
Helen

Annika1980

On Apr 2, 6:57 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> You do realize that this is Macro photography. DOF is very shallow,
> especially when up this close. He focused on the eyes/face and that
> is what is sharp.

I don't believe he understands that.
A tripod would have made no difference.

Not to mention the fact that the photo was taken on top of my deck
railing.
Think of taking a photo of a bug crawling across the top of a wall.
Now how are you gonna position your tripod when the camera lens must
be an inch or two from the bug (directly over the wall)?

I may get a Gorillapod for just that situation, however.

J. Clarke

Annika1980 wrote:
> On Apr 2, 6:57 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> You do realize that this is Macro photography. DOF is very shallow,
>> especially when up this close. He focused on the eyes/face and that
>> is what is sharp.

> I don't believe he understands that.
> A tripod would have made no difference.

Now that depends on the lens you're using. Some macros will stop down
into the f/40 range but I don't recommend that handheld unless the
subject is a light bulb.

> Not to mention the fact that the photo was taken on top of my deck
> railing.
> Think of taking a photo of a bug crawling across the top of a wall.
> Now how are you gonna position your tripod when the camera lens must
> be an inch or two from the bug (directly over the wall)?

A tripod with a center post that can be aligned horizontally may help in
a situation such as that. Manfrotto has several models that allow that.
Gitzo has some that allow it to be set at any angle from below
horizontal to vertical. Pro4 Imaging does the same and seems to carry
it a little farther.

> I may get a Gorillapod for just that situation, however.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)