Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Alternative to Flash

Alternative to Flash

John R. Baker

I need to create some simple animations for use in presentations. Adobe
(Macromedia) Flash is just the ticket. It does everything I need.

Problem is, it does much _more_ than I need, and costs an arm an a leg.

Is there some other lower cost (or free) alternative to Flash for creating
animations? I really need only very limited functionality, compared to the
"real thing".

Thanks!

- John R. Baker

Keme

John R. Baker skrev:
> I need to create some simple animations for use in presentations. Adobe
> (Macromedia) Flash is just the ticket. It does everything I need.
>
> Problem is, it does much _more_ than I need, and costs an arm an a leg.
>
> Is there some other lower cost (or free) alternative to Flash for creating
> animations? I really need only very limited functionality, compared to the
> "real thing".
>
> Thanks!
>
> - John R. Baker

I recall using a simple, java based framework to accomplish much of the
effects available with flash. Can't find it or remember its name, but
there are a few similar projects going on. Macao seems to be the closest
match (but then, that depends on your exact requirements). Didn't ever
test it, though.
http://macao.sourceforge.net/

John R. Baker

"Keme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:461050c6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John R. Baker skrev:
>> I need to create some simple animations for use in presentations. Adobe
>> (Macromedia) Flash is just the ticket. It does everything I need.
>>
>> Problem is, it does much _more_ than I need, and costs an arm an a leg.
>>
>> Is there some other lower cost (or free) alternative to Flash for
>> creating
>> animations? I really need only very limited functionality, compared to
>> the
>> "real thing".
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - John R. Baker

> I recall using a simple, java based framework to accomplish much of the
> effects available with flash. Can't find it or remember its name, but
> there are a few similar projects going on. Macao seems to be the closest
> match (but then, that depends on your exact requirements). Didn't ever
> test it, though.
> http://macao.sourceforge.net/

Keme,

Thanks! I'll look into it.