Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Task Manager

Task Manager

Andy Petro

Whenever have a Non-Responding program I try to close it using the Task
Manager which I have to select many times.What happens then is multiple
task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

WhzzKdd

"Andy Petro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46102fd1$0$16370$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Whenever have a Non-Responding program I try to close it using the Task
> Manager which I have to select many times.What happens then is multiple
> task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
> saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
> restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Only start the Task Manager once then WAIT for it. When you have a
non-responding program, EVERYTHING is slowed down. The more you try to get
something to happen, the longer ANYTHING will take.

Bullseye

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 19:12:15 -0400, Andy Petro wrote:

> Whenever have a Non-Responding program I try to close it using the Task
> Manager which I have to select many times.What happens then is multiple
> task manager icons show up at the bottom of the screen as well as some
> saying CPU usage, all of which I cannot close or get rid off without
> restarting the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like you may have some kind of virus or other malware on your
system. There are some nasties out there that try to keep you from opening
Task Manager so you won't see their process running. They also don't want
to be shut down via Task Manager. They also many times disable Folder
Options (so you can't see hidden files) and Regedit (so you can't see
startup files or delete the malware from the registry).

Also, the high CPU usage is many times indicative of malware. I clean
computers all the time, and I've seen this as a common factor - seems to
always be high (most of the time 100%) CPU usage. If you have antivirus &
antispyware tools, run some scans and see what you come up with. Also,
programs like AVG Antispyware, Winpatrol, and System Safety Monitor will
allow you to see running process and shut them down if need be.
Non-responsive programs is also a red flag. Generally it's because all
your resources are being comsumed by the malware programs.