Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > [signed applet] certification authority

[signed applet] certification authority

oliv@linuxmail.org

Hi,
I have a signed applet (signed myself with jarsigner.exe).
It works fine but the users get a warning message before accepting the
applet to execute.
Next step, is to have my certificate trusted by Verisign or other
third party.
Do you know any link to a site that would explain the procedure to
follow in details ?
Which certification authority would you recommend ? the cheapest ?

thanks

Andrew Thompson via JavaKB.com

>I have a signed applet (signed myself with jarsigner.exe).
>It works fine but the users get a warning message before accepting the
>applet to execute.

So is that (fine).

>Next step, is to have my certificate trusted by Verisign or other
>third party.

Note that although the warning message might be slightly
different, the end user will still be warned, and asked to accept,
a fully verified security certificate, before the applet is trusted.

>Do you know any link to a site that would explain the procedure to
>follow in details ?
>Which certification authority would you recommend ? the cheapest ?

Thawte offers a 'FreeMail' certificate. I have not gone
through the process, but it is supposedly completely
free.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

oliv@linuxmail.org

As to applet, Thawte does not seem free at all to me (200$ / year !!).
http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-ce...ing/index.html

None of you have gone through the process of having an applet
authentificated by a third party certifiaction authority (to assure
the integrity and authorship of the code) ?
I am looking for feedback on that process..

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>As to applet, Thawte does not seem free at all to me (200$ / year !!).
>http://www.thawte.com/ssl-digital-ce...ing/index.html

A search on 'thawte freemail' should lead you to a different page
http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/p...-certificates/
One person who ..used to poast around these groups got
one of those for code signing, but I almost prefer the self-signed
certificate to one that says (AFAIR) 'Thawte Freemail..' and no
name of the actual code signer.

>None of you have gone through the process of having an applet
>authentificated by a third party certifiaction authority (to assure
>the integrity and authorship of the code) ?

Authorites like Thawte never glance at code.
They verify *you*.

>I am looking for feedback on that process..

Sorry. I have no experience in that process, I
have always used self-signed certificates.

What does the code do, that requires extra
privileges? (e.g. File access, network access..).