Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Not able to create more than one Identity in Outlook Express 6

Not able to create more than one Identity in Outlook Express 6

Fred

Just fresh installed Win XP upgrade with SP1 without further window updates.
I'm using Comcast cable service and have multiple mail accounts. Was able to
create primary identity (could send and receive e-mail) but not able to
create another. Every time I create a new Identify and try to switch it in
OE 6, it loops back to the primary Identify without asking for setup
information. Don't have this problem setting emails with my other computers,
just this one. Help would be appreciated and TIA.

Mike Easter

Fred wrote:
> Just fresh installed Win XP upgrade with SP1 without further window
> updates.

> Every time I create a new
> Identify and try to switch it in OE 6, it loops back to the primary
> Identify without asking for setup information.

http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch
"Unable to switch Identities after installing WinXP Service Pack 1
Fixed" - This bug appeared in Service Pack 1. There is now a patch that
fixes it as well as some other bugs, Service Pack 2 includes this patch,
so you don't need it if you have installed SP2. -- When you click File |
Switch Identities, OE briefly closes but re-opens without switching to
the other Identity. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is
investigating. A quick workaround is to click File | Identities | Manage
Identities, then remove the check mark for "Use this Identity when
starting a program". Then instead of clicking File | Switch Identities,
simply close and re-open OE. You will then see the Identity logon screen
and can select the Identity you want. Microsoft has already added a
Knowledge Base article about the problem, and is working on a
solution. - Note that the bug does not affect everyone. It might be
related to using the "Main Identity" created the first time you run OE.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q329084 You
cannot switch identities in Outlook Express after you install Windows XP
SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q331923 An
overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...23/default.asp
October 2002, Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1 (Q331923)

--
Mike Easter

Fred

news:460ff98a$0$97273$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Fred wrote:
>> Just fresh installed Win XP upgrade with SP1 without further window
>> updates.

>> Every time I create a new
>> Identify and try to switch it in OE 6, it loops back to the primary
>> Identify without asking for setup information.

> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch
> "Unable to switch Identities after installing WinXP Service Pack 1
> Fixed" - This bug appeared in Service Pack 1. There is now a patch that
> fixes it as well as some other bugs, Service Pack 2 includes this patch,
> so you don't need it if you have installed SP2. -- When you click File |
> Switch Identities, OE briefly closes but re-opens without switching to
> the other Identity. Microsoft is aware of the problem and is
> investigating. A quick workaround is to click File | Identities | Manage
> Identities, then remove the check mark for "Use this Identity when
> starting a program". Then instead of clicking File | Switch Identities,
> simply close and re-open OE. You will then see the Identity logon screen
> and can select the Identity you want.

Thanks Mike! This works now until I get SP2.

Microsoft has already added a
> Knowledge Base article about the problem, and is working on a
> solution. - Note that the bug does not affect everyone. It might be
> related to using the "Main Identity" created the first time you run OE.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q329084 You
> cannot switch identities in Outlook Express after you install Windows XP
> SP1
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q331923 An
> overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...23/default.asp
> October 2002, Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1 (Q331923)
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Fred wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch

> Thanks Mike! This works now until I get SP2.

It may be worth noting that the OE guru Tom Koch whose site was
mentioned above and previously extensively cited wrote an article^1
entitled "Outlook Express and Windows XP Service Pack 2: Several
Problems or Superior Protection?"

SP2 makes a number of 'severe' changes in OE which also impact other OE
related programs such as OE QuoteFix.

The article isn't a recommendation against it, of course, but it is
worth reading for OE users.

^1 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.../oeandsp2.mspx

--
Mike Easter