Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where do I put missing dll besides System32?

Where do I put missing dll besides System32?

Bosco

After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
"C:
\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
\WINDOWS\system32.

I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.

Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
"msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
"msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

WhzzKdd

"Bosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
> "C:
> \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
> file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
> \WINDOWS\system32.
>
> I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
> Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
>
> Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
> "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
> else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
> "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

Why not just download and reinstall Windows Defender?

Bosco

On Apr 1, 11:05 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "Bosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...> After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
> > "C:
> > \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
> > file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
> > \WINDOWS\system32.

> > I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
> > Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.

> > Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
> > "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
> > else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
> > "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

> Why not just download and reinstall Windows Defender?

Thanks. I did think of that but I wanted it to be my last option in
that I wanted to learn something more about the rhyme and reason as to
where dll files are distributed.

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com "Bosco"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
> "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
> else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
> "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

The simplest fix is to copy the DLL into the same directory where the
EXE for your app lives.

Microsoft has invented a new version of "DLL Hell" with their
"Side-by-Side" scheme which supposedly allows multiple versions of the
same DLL to co-exist on a system. Unfortunately, this scheme include
policy and manfest files which now reside in \Windows\WinSxS. In this
scheme, MSVCR80.DLL now lives in a directory with a name like

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Bosco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
>"C:
>\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
>file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
>\WINDOWS\system32.
>
>I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
>Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
>
>Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
>"msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
>else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
>"msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

Besides copying the DLL, it most likely needs to be registered as
well.

Start | Run <type in>
regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32/msvcr80.dll
<enter>
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108199

--
The Pirate Bay finds a home!
http://thepiratebay.org/blog/61

Bullseye

On 1 Apr 2007 08:12:15 -0700, Bosco wrote:

> After running Norton WinDoctor, I got the following message twice:
> "C:
> \Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" cannot access a necessary
> file, "msvcr80.dll." I downloaded msvcr80.dll and moved it to C:
> \WINDOWS\system32.
>
> I ran Norton again but this time only one message of an "C:\Program
> Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" came up.
>
> Obviously the program Windows Defender is still looking for
> "msvcr80.dll," but where is it looking for it? By that I mean, where
> else (besides C:\WINDOWS\system32) should I put a copy of
> "msvcr80.dll" so Windows Defender can find it?

Apparently the file isn't missing, but this is a glitch in the Norton
utility - another reason never to use Norton or McAfee.

From Techrepublic site: "MSVCR80.dll - This is a known problem with Norton
WinDoc and you can just ignore those errors. . . Norton's System works
finding missing files isn't all that uncommon and quite often mean nothing
particularly if the applications are working.

If you have downloaded the .Net Framework 2 that could be part of the
reason as most times it doesn't install properly on XP so there will be
some missing files there but as the .Net Framework 1 is running there is no
problem. As for the Quicken if the application is still running there is a
error in the Registry pointing to a .DLL that isn't required by this
program and Norton's Win Doctor is unable to fix this as there is nothing
to link the Registry Entry to so provided that it's working I wouldn't
worry about it.

However if the Quicken Program is not working you'll need to reinstall it.
You can also expect to see Missing Files with Norton's and XP when you
install IE7 it's just the way that the system works."

Also from the site:

"Norton Fix: mfc80.dll, msvcp80.dll, and msvcr80.dll
Here is the fix ... this eliminates the unhappy Norton WinDoctor!

Copy/paste each of these three files -- msvcm80.dll, msvcp80.dll,
msvcr80.dll -- located in to the folder
c:\windows\WinnSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT -- into c:\windows\system.

Also Copy/paste file -- mfc80.dll -- located in to the folder
c:\windows\WinnSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC -- into c:\windows\system.

This should solve your Norton problem."