Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > ANN: Microsoft goes Open Source

ANN: Microsoft goes Open Source

jmfbahciv@aol.com

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>CBFalconer wrote:
>> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
>> with the GPL license.
>>
>> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
>> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
>> competent programmers.
>>
>> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
>> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
>> classified as a trade secret.
>>
>> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
>> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
>>
>> For a full discussion visit:
>>
>> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

>More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
>announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
>conformant!

Sigh! It is April 1.

/BAH

CBFalconer

Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
with the GPL license.

Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
competent programmers.

They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
classified as a trade secret.

The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.

For a full discussion visit:

<http://innovation.microsoft.com>

santosh

CBFalconer wrote:
> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> with the GPL license.
>
> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
> competent programmers.
>
> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
> classified as a trade secret.
>
> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
>
> For a full discussion visit:
>
> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
conformant!

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, CBFalconer
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
>with the GPL license.

What was the date of that press release?

However on a serious note Redhat has been accused of MS style tactics in
controlling it's market.

It seems the only difference between the leading OpenSource companies
and the leading commercial companies is that the Open Source ones don't
pay the primary programmers..... They make money on other peoples
efforts without paying them....

So on that score who is better for programmers? MS or RedHat?

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Phlip

CBFalconer wrote:

> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> with the GPL license.

"Ooooh, intercourse the penguin!" --Graham Chapman

--
Phlip
http://flea.sourceforge.net/PiglegToo_1.html

Steve O'Hara-Smith

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 08:16:18 -0400
CBFalconer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> with the GPL license.
>
> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
> competent programmers.
>
> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
> classified as a trade secret.
>
> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
>
> For a full discussion visit:
>
> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

innovation.microsoft.com not found - now why am I not surprised

--
C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
| http://www.sohara.org/

Chris Hills

In article <euo72p$(E-Mail Removed)1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com> ,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>CBFalconer wrote:
>>> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
>>> with the GPL license.
>>>
>>> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
>>> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
>>> competent programmers.
>>>
>>> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
>>> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
>>> classified as a trade secret.
>>>
>>> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
>>> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
>>>
>>> For a full discussion visit:
>>>
>>> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

>>More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
>>announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
>>conformant!
>>

>Sigh! It is April 1.

It probably refers to this........

n article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Hello!
>
>The C99 library is part of C++ TR1.
>
>From: http://www.dinkumware.com/tr1.aspx
>comes this information:
>[TR1 includes the] "C99 library, including all the numerous functions
>added to the C Standard with C99, properly blended into
>
>the C++ environment".
>
>This is interesting, since it means that if C++ compilers adapt to
>TR1, C programmers can effectively use the entire C99 (with those TR1-
>compliant compilers), without any problems!
>
>And that C99 code, can then interface nicely with C++ TR1, including
>all the C++ constructs (that are not part of C99)
>I wonder if C99 is really 100% a subset of C++ TR1.?
>

>(But ahh...
>A standard, especially a new one is very different from the "de facto"
>standard of many people in industry.)
>

>Kind regards,
>Albert
>

>Some Interesting docs:
>

>Proposed additions to TR-1 to improve compatibility with C99 (P.J.
>Plauger)
>http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...2003/n1503.txt
>
>Draft Technical Report on C++ Library Extensions (C++ TR1 as far as I
>can see...)
>http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...6.pdf#page=167
>
>C99 Standard(Committee Draft 2005 - ISO/IEC 9899:TC2)
>http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg...docs/n1124.pdf
>
>"The New C Standard: A Cultural and Economic Commentary" by Derek M.
>Jones
>http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Didi

> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> with the GPL license.

Yes, they also said their stuff was not just good looking, it actually
worked .

Dimiter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "santosh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >CBFalconer wrote:
> >> Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> >> with the GPL license.
> >>
> >> Mr. Balmer attributed this to the fact that Microsoft needs help in
> >> making Vista usable, and have so far not been able to find
> >> competent programmers.
> >>
> >> They will compensate their cash-flow by immediately discharging all
> >> employees whose name hashes to an odd value. The hash algorithm is
> >> classified as a trade secret.
> >>
> >> The only exception to the GPL policy will be Microsoft's only
> >> original contribution to the software world, known as Bob.
> >>
> >> For a full discussion visit:
> >>
> >> <http://innovation.microsoft.com>

> >More importantly, for this group at least, Microsoft have just
> >announced that their flagship C and C++ compiler is now fully C99
> >conformant!
> >

> Sigh! It is April 1.

I know that. It was intended in the same spirit as CBF's post; guess
you didn't get it.

Tarkin

On Apr 1, 2:23 pm, "Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> CBFalconer wrote:
> > Steve Balmer announced today that Microsoft was replacing it's EULA
> > with the GPL license.

> "Ooooh, intercourse the penguin!" --Graham Chapman
>
> --
> Phlip
> http://flea.sourceforge.net/PiglegToo_1.html

ROFTLMAO.