Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

Trojan xlibgfl254.dll removal?

Quercus Robur

Sorry David, I missed your reply. Thanks, I will give Previx a try.
Martin

> From: "Quercus Robur" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | A friends computer is infected with some trojan. At boot up McAfee
> reports
> | that image xlibgfl254.dll is not valid. I have checked elsewhere for
> | removal instructions and seem to have two choices. Edit the registry,
> which
> | I am reluctant to do, or use a program from Previx, who I have never
> heard
> | of. Does any one know how to remove the trojan? Apparently McAfee can
> not.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Martin
> |

> Prevx is excellent. You can download the free removal tool here...
> http://free.prevx.com/
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

B. Nice

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 17:28:35 GMT, "Quercus Robur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So I re-state my question. Please does anyone know how to get rid of the
>Trojan?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...mt/sm0504.mspx

Christoph Hanle

Quercus Robur wrote:
> The effect of SG's response is to subvert the question. Not one reply helps
> solve the problem.
> So I re-state my question. Please does anyone know how to get rid of the
> Trojan?

Hi,
Sebastians answer was the right one, but maybe not very gently.
Google for xlibgfl254.dll and you will find a solution to remove the
trojan with prevx1. you can also boot with Knoppix and remove
xlibgfl254.dll.
But the effect is the same: Maybe that you have removed the trojan or a
parts of it, but the greek soldiers are still active on your system.
Finding these soldiers is nearly impossible, unless you have a clean
reference-system for to compare with the infected system.
It is more easy and secure to rebuild the system from scratch.
bye
Christoph

Sebastian Gottschalk

JAB wrote:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>> From: "Sebastian Gottschalk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>

>>| Ehm... flatten and rebuild? How else?
>>
>> Yeah, and use a sledgehammer to kill flies as well.
>>

> [...]
> it's blinding obvious that he does even know the basics and

See above for what the basics are, even though some people like to ignore
them.

Oh, BTW, the basics of posting here: private discussion belong to the
medium E-Mail. Thus fup2p.

Sebastian Gottschalk

David H. Lipman wrote:

> From: "Sebastian Gottschalk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

>| Ehm... flatten and rebuild? How else?
>
> Yeah, and use a sledgehammer to kill flies as well.

Except that a trojan horse is not a fly, but rather an elephant that
tramples your computer's intergrity in every possible aspect. Restoring it
to a save state is the *minimum* action that is necessary to restore its
integrity.

JAB

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
> JAB wrote:
>
>> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>> From: "Sebastian Gottschalk" <(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> Yeah, and use a sledgehammer to kill flies as well.
>>>

>> [...]
>> it's blinding obvious that he does even know the basics and

> See above for what the basics are, even though some people like to ignore
> them.
>
> Oh, BTW, the basics of posting here: private discussion belong to the
> medium E-Mail. Thus fup2p.

Can you tell me where to find the bit where it says you have to act like
a spoilt little child in any thread to which you reply?

Oh, BTW, please don't bother replying as as always you will have nothing
of interest or help to say.

Quercus Robur

Can a reset point be used?
Martin

"Christoph Hanle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:460ff271$0$6438$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Quercus Robur wrote:
>> The effect of SG's response is to subvert the question. Not one reply
>> helps
>> solve the problem.
>> So I re-state my question. Please does anyone know how to get rid of the
>> Trojan?

> Hi,
> Sebastians answer was the right one, but maybe not very gently.
> Google for xlibgfl254.dll and you will find a solution to remove the
> trojan with prevx1. you can also boot with Knoppix and remove
> xlibgfl254.dll.
> But the effect is the same: Maybe that you have removed the trojan or a
> parts of it, but the greek soldiers are still active on your system.
> Finding these soldiers is nearly impossible, unless you have a clean
> reference-system for to compare with the infected system.
> It is more easy and secure to rebuild the system from scratch.
> bye
> Christoph

Sebastian Gottschalk

Quercus Robur wrote:

> Can a reset point be used?

No. For three obvious reasons:

- It's stored on the same computer, thus the malware is also able to modify
it as well.
- You're using the compromised system to try restoring it. What exactly
stops the malware from excluding itself from this process of even
reinfecting the system afterwards?
- The "reset point" is no complete backup, thus it won't restore
everything.

(And please, stop doing this top-post full-quote nonsense, at best in
conjunction with stopping this overly long attribution line and posting
with an invalid e-mail address. kthxbye)