Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win XP update files - Remove???

Win XP update files - Remove???

jhewitt@arrakis.es

My WIN XP up dater has downloaded many [ 30+] files, which were, I
assume, applied to Windows as updates - Security, etc.
My Un installer program shows that most of these files, that were
applied, are still present on my HD and using Mbytes of storage.

Since the updates have been applied, do I need to retain these files?

If I remove/delete the files, will the updates be 'uninstalled' from
Win XP??

Any advice much appreciated.
John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

why?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:50:13 +0200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

Is it today or just another of those ongoing vague question days?

>My WIN XP up dater has downloaded many [ 30+] files, which were, I
>assume, applied to Windows as updates - Security, etc.
>My Un installer program shows that most of these files, that were
>applied, are still present on my HD and using Mbytes of storage.
>
>Since the updates have been applied, do I need to retain these files?
>
>If I remove/delete the files, will the updates be 'uninstalled' from
>Win XP??

You would (just guessing here) be asking about all of the entries like,

%windir%\$NtUninstallKB873339$

>Any advice much appreciated.
>John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

If you don't plan to uninstall any of the updates there is a good change
you won't need them again.

Try reading past posts in,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
or several of the MS XP newsgroups, the general XP newsgroups or even XP
support sites, forums, many already mentioned in 24HSHD before.

www.google.com
1st 5 hits

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for delete windows uninstall
folders. (0.32 seconds)

$NTUninstall folders - Description
In the Windows Directory of your C partition you will have some
Uninstall folders in your Windows folder typically:
$NtServicePackUninstall$ and ...
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Hotfix_backup.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar
pages

HOW TO: Remove the Service Pack Restore Files and Folders in Windows
Delete the Service Pack Uninstall Folder ... If you delete the
ServicePackFiles folder, the Windows File Protection system is unable to
work if a Service ...
support.microsoft.com/kb/290402 - Similar pages

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
Important If you install Windows XP SP2 on a computer that is already
running Windows XP SP2, you will create a new uninstall folder on your
hard disk drive ...
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350 - Similar pages
[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

Service Pack Uninstall Uninstall
You can now see the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder in the Windows (or
WINNT) folder. Delete the folder. You will receive a warning that you're
about to ...
http://winhlp.com/WxServicePackUninstallUninstall.htm - 6k - Cached -
Similar pages

Remove Patch Uninstall Folders To Clean Hard Drive
Hard drives are cheap and people typically have more space than they
know what to do with these days. But, that is no reason to just waste
it.
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/......HardDrive.html
- 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Me