Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language parts" of C99

Difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language parts" of C99

albert.neu@gmail.com

Hello!

What is the difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language
parts" of C99.

see
http://groups.google.at/group/micros...2bada2bbdbce56

I know that "Dinkum Compleat Libraries" (http://www.dinkumware.com/)
support the "library parts" of C99 - this probably relates to the C99
library headers and the functionality they provide.?

Are the "language parts" of C99 perhaps things like "variable
declarations" in the middle of {}-blocks? See below...

/******** test.c *********/
#include <stdio.h>

int main( void )
{
printf("hello world\n");

char c = 5; //variable declaration
return 0;
}

What else might be included in the "language parts" of C99?

Thanks,
Albert

Martin Ambuhl

> Hello!
>
> What is the difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language
> parts" of C99.

The language includes the libraries; perhaps you mean the syntax as
opposed to the libraries. Basically, anything supplied as a function or
macro will be found declared in a header and any supporting functions
will be found in a library.

> see
> http://groups.google.at/group/micros...2bada2bbdbce56

Plauger uses the terms "library bits" and "language bits", not "library
parts" and "language parts." He is writing informally; none of those
four terms has any defined meaning in C, although most users of C will
recognize that he is distinguishing between those parts of the language
specified in section 7 "Library" of the language standard from the
non-library parts defined in sections 1-6. The annexes A-J contain
supplemental information concerning all 7 sections of the language
specification.

> I know that "Dinkum Compleat Libraries" (http://www.dinkumware.com/)
> support the "library parts" of C99 - this probably relates to the C99
> library headers and the functionality they provide.?

The headers and library functions defined by the C language
specification are what Dinkum supplies.

> Are the "language parts" of C99 perhaps things like "variable
> declarations" in the middle of {}-blocks? See below...

No doubt Plauger means by "language bits" everything not specified as
belonging in a library or associated header. Obviously, variables and
their declarations (no matter where they occur) are part of that.

> /******** test.c *********/
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main( void )
> {
> printf("hello world\n");
>
> char c = 5; //variable declaration
> return 0;
> }
>
> What else might be included in the "language parts" of C99?

In your code, <stdio.h> and printf() are defined as part of the library
in the language specification. Everything else is a non-library part of
the C programming language.

P.J. Plauger

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> What is the difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language
> parts" of C99.
>
> see
> http://groups.google.at/group/micros...2bada2bbdbce56
>
> I know that "Dinkum Compleat Libraries" (http://www.dinkumware.com/)
> support the "library parts" of C99 - this probably relates to the C99
> library headers and the functionality they provide.?
>

> Are the "language parts" of C99 perhaps things like "variable
> declarations" in the middle of {}-blocks? See below...
>
> /******** test.c *********/
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main( void )
> {
> printf("hello world\n");
>
> char c = 5; //variable declaration
> return 0;
> }
>
> What else might be included in the "language parts" of C99?

If the piece that translates source code to object has to do it,
it's language. If it can be done in library headers and linkable
libraries, it's library.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Keith Thompson

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> What is the difference between "library parts" of C99 and "language
> parts" of C99.

[...]

The latest draft of the C99 standard is available at
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1124.pdf>.

Section 6 describes the language; section 7 describes the library.

(The term "language" can be ambiguous; it refers either to just the
part described in section 6, or to the entire language including
sections 6, 7, and all the rest.)