Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > "Network Cable Unplugged"

"Network Cable Unplugged"

Zboing Mouflon

My PC is connected to my DSL router via an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
Connection NIC.

Recently I have noticed a marked slowing of internet speed on this machine.
Looking in My Network Connections I note that this connection repeatedly
flashes between "Connected" and "Network Cable Unplugged".

I have tried the following without success:

rebooting the DSL router (which has the most recent firmware upgrade
installed)
uninstalling and reinstalling the network card
disabling and re enabling the network connection
replacing the network cable and plugging it into a different port on the
router.

I have other machines on my network. Some are hard wired and some are on
wireless. None of the others seem to be having this problem.

Suggestions please?

Andrew Bowie
www.users.on.net/abowie

Zboing Mouflon

If i have posted this to the wrong forum, can someone please tell me where a
better place might be?

--
Andrew Bowie
(E-Mail Removed)
"Zboing Mouflon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My PC is connected to my DSL router via an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
> Connection NIC.
>
> Recently I have noticed a marked slowing of internet speed on this
> machine. Looking in My Network Connections I note that this connection
> repeatedly flashes between "Connected" and "Network Cable Unplugged".
>
> I have tried the following without success:
>
> rebooting the DSL router (which has the most recent firmware upgrade
> installed)
> uninstalling and reinstalling the network card
> disabling and re enabling the network connection
> replacing the network cable and plugging it into a different port on
> the router.
>
> I have other machines on my network. Some are hard wired and some are on
> wireless. None of the others seem to be having this problem.
>
> Suggestions please?
>
> Andrew Bowie
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.users.on.net/abowie

Gerard Bok

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:47:20 +0930, "Zboing Mouflon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My PC is connected to my DSL router via an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
>Connection NIC.
>
>Recently I have noticed a marked slowing of internet speed on this machine.
>Looking in My Network Connections I note that this connection repeatedly
>flashes between "Connected" and "Network Cable Unplugged".

Most probable: a bad cable (connection).

>I have other machines on my network.

Great. So you have cables at hand to swap

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 31-Mar-2007, (E-Mail Removed) (Gerard Bok) wrote:

> >Recently I have noticed a marked slowing of internet speed on this machine.
> >Looking in My Network Connections I note that this connection repeatedly
> >flashes between "Connected" and "Network Cable Unplugged".

Most NIC's have an LED showing status, and often for
autosensing NIC's whether the connection is reversed.
Is the LED changing state in sympathy with the
"Connected" and "Network Cable Unplugged"
message?
It can happen with a reversed connection,
it works, but the autosensing if unreliable.