Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing a Printer

Sharing a Printer

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

I have an HP 890C printer coupled to my desktop which runs Win XP home. On
selecting control panel, printers & faxes then sharing printer, I get the
message "Printer settings could not be saved, operation could not be
completed". What is occurring here and what is the fix? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=

"printer coupled to my desktop" How?
--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Paul" wrote:

> I have an HP 890C printer coupled to my desktop which runs Win XP home. On
> selecting control panel, printers & faxes then sharing printer, I get the
> message "Printer settings could not be saved, operation could not be
> completed". What is occurring here and what is the fix? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

The printer is coupled by way of cable...not a USB but the older type which
has a large plug into the desktop.

(What in fact we are trying to do is to allow a laptop with a wireless
capability to link via a router to our desktop and so utilise the printer.
Whether the desktop requires additional hardware I am not sure but at present
it connects to the internet by way of a wireless modem and a linksys router.
The laptop can access the internet ok via the router, but I cannot get it
linked so as to access the printer. )

Thanks for your help!!

"Byte" wrote:

> "printer coupled to my desktop" How?
> --
> XP - WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > I have an HP 890C printer coupled to my desktop which runs Win XP home. On
> > selecting control panel, printers & faxes then sharing printer, I get the
> > message "Printer settings could not be saved, operation could not be
> > completed". What is occurring here and what is the fix? Thanks.

Bob Lucas

I assume from your description that the printer is connected to a
parallel port (LPT1 or LPT2) on your desktop. I have also assumed that
the laptop is using Win XP (procedures may differ slightly, if the
laptop is running an earlier version of Windows).

Firstly, make sure that both computers have different "Names". Then,
make sure they are both in the same Workgroup (such as MSHOME). If you
change a computer name or workgroup name, you will need to re-boot.

Then, you should open Control Panel on the desktop computer and run the
network Setup wizard. This should enable file and printer sharing on
the desktop.

Now, switch on the printer.

Open Control Panel on the laptop (the desktop and the router must also
be running at the same time). Click on Printers and Faxes. Then click
on "Add a Printer". Follow the wizard (to add a network printer).

When you browse for the new computer, the wizard should find the printer
that is attached to LPT1 on your desktop and hopefully, it will download
the printer drivers automatically from your desktop to the laptop.
Otherwise, you might need to install drivers on the laptop from the HP
890C set-up CD.

If all goes well, this will allow you to print from the laptop.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The printer is coupled by way of cable...not a USB but the older type
> which
> has a large plug into the desktop.
>
> (What in fact we are trying to do is to allow a laptop with a wireless
> capability to link via a router to our desktop and so utilise the
> printer.
> Whether the desktop requires additional hardware I am not sure but at
> present
> it connects to the internet by way of a wireless modem and a linksys
> router.
> The laptop can access the internet ok via the router, but I cannot get
> it
> linked so as to access the printer. )
>
> Thanks for your help!!
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> "printer coupled to my desktop" How?
>> --
>> XP - WNP
>> Today is the first day of the
>> rest of your life.
>>

>> "Paul" wrote:
>>
>> > I have an HP 890C printer coupled to my desktop which runs Win XP
>> > home. On
>> > selecting control panel, printers & faxes then sharing printer, I
>> > get the
>> > message "Printer settings could not be saved, operation could not
>> > be
>> > completed". What is occurring here and what is the fix? Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=

In addition to Bob Lucas' response, the below simplified steps may help.
Host should be the desktop PC and Guest the laptop.
Install the printer on the Host PC. Then using Control Panel>Network
Setup Wizard, enable File & Printer Sharing and make sure you check the
box to allow others to print to your printers. Next under Start>Settings>
Printers, select the printer, check the box to share the printer and assign
a name. Keep the name short, no blanks, something like Printer2.

You should now be able to add the printer to your Guest PCs using Start>
Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Add Printer. Check the radio button
"A network printer ..." and then either browse for the printer or enter its
name (using \\PCName\PrinterName) and continue until finished. Ensure
that the firewall on your XP PC is set to allow access to remote printers.
If using XP's native firewall ensure that File and Printer Sharing is
enabled and that the box with he same name is checked in the Firewall
exceptions list. The PCName can be found at:

Rightclick My Computer icon on desktop>Properties>Computer Name tab.
It may look something like: "Home-66djksjcpv". Don't type the quotes.
Click "Next" and it should install the printer on the Guest PC when
it finds it.

Note: You can follow the same procedure to get access to
"Files" from one PC to the other.

--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Bob Lucas" wrote:

> I assume from your description that the printer is connected to a
> parallel port (LPT1 or LPT2) on your desktop. I have also assumed that
> the laptop is using Win XP (procedures may differ slightly, if the
> laptop is running an earlier version of Windows).
>
> Firstly, make sure that both computers have different "Names". Then,
> make sure they are both in the same Workgroup (such as MSHOME). If you
> change a computer name or workgroup name, you will need to re-boot.
>
> Then, you should open Control Panel on the desktop computer and run the
> network Setup wizard. This should enable file and printer sharing on
> the desktop.
>
> Now, switch on the printer.
>
> Open Control Panel on the laptop (the desktop and the router must also
> be running at the same time). Click on Printers and Faxes. Then click
> on "Add a Printer". Follow the wizard (to add a network printer).
>
> When you browse for the new computer, the wizard should find the printer
> that is attached to LPT1 on your desktop and hopefully, it will download
> the printer drivers automatically from your desktop to the laptop.
> Otherwise, you might need to install drivers on the laptop from the HP
> 890C set-up CD.
>
> If all goes well, this will allow you to print from the laptop.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The printer is coupled by way of cable...not a USB but the older type
> > which
> > has a large plug into the desktop.
> >
> > (What in fact we are trying to do is to allow a laptop with a wireless
> > capability to link via a router to our desktop and so utilise the
> > printer.
> > Whether the desktop requires additional hardware I am not sure but at
> > present
> > it connects to the internet by way of a wireless modem and a linksys
> > router.
> > The laptop can access the internet ok via the router, but I cannot get
> > it
> > linked so as to access the printer. )
> >
> > Thanks for your help!!
> >
> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> >> "printer coupled to my desktop" How?
> >> --
> >> XP - WNP
> >> Today is the first day of the
> >> rest of your life.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

I have tried all steps yet still cannot get the system to operate but I sure
do appreciate the assistance.

What we have here is the host computer (a desktop Dell Dimension 8300)
running Win XP Home edition and this links to the internet via a wireless
modem. To this computer is coupled the printer ( HP 890C ) by way of cable
to the LPT1 port.

I have bought my son a Compaq Presario V3000 laptop running Vista home basic
which has wireless capability -(switched on)- and the aim was to link that
into the main home computer - the Desktop- so as to be able to access the
internet and share the printer etc. To form a small network in other words.

We bought a linksys WRT 54G wireless router which is connected between the
modem and the desktop and with phone assistance did manage to get the laptop
linked through this to the internet.

I am still though unable to get the printer sharing to operate. As you
mention, I have run the network setup wizard numerous times on the desktop
but at the end always get the message "Cannot complete the network setup
wizard. An error occurred during the configuration of the network on the
computer". What that error is I have no idea nor what to do or where to go to
correct it. I have also used control panel, printers and faxes, selected the
printer but when I click on share printer, I get a message "Printer settings
could not be saved. Operation could not be completed".

Any ideas on what is happening or what to do about it. I guess the easiest
way is to get in a computer tech but its nice to learn and try to understand
the method (s) yourself.

My thanks again.

"Byte" wrote:

> [...]
> > Otherwise, you might need to install drivers on the laptop from the HP
> > 890C set-up CD.
> >
> > If all goes well, this will allow you to print from the laptop.
> >
> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The printer is coupled by way of cable...not a USB but the older type
> > > which
> > > has a large plug into the desktop.
> > >
> > > (What in fact we are trying to do is to allow a laptop with a wireless
> > > capability to link via a router to our desktop and so utilise the
> > > printer.
> > > Whether the desktop requires additional hardware I am not sure but at
> > > present
> > > it connects to the internet by way of a wireless modem and a linksys
> > > router.
> > > The laptop can access the internet ok via the router, but I cannot get

I don't know whether you will experience compatibility problems, if you
network the Compaq laptop running Vista with the Dell Dimension 8300
running Win XP Home Edition. However, that is a separate issue.

Your immediate problem is caused by the inability to run the networking
wizard satisfactorilly on the Dell and/or to configure the printer
properties for network sharing. The problem is almost certainly related
to the Windows configuration and/or printer configuration on the Dell -
as opposed to problems with the router or the laptop.

You can test this theory, by switching on the desktop, laptop and
router. If you have access to the internet from the laptop, you can
safely assume that the laptop - router - internet connection is OK.

Upon the assumption that the following Win XP feature is still included
in Vista, open "My Network Places" on the laptop. Then, click on "View
workgroup computers". The names of the laptop and the desktop should
now appear. If the Dell is missing from the list of workgroup
computers, this will provide added confirmation that the desktop has not
been configured for networking.

The following question is just a shot in the dark, and may be totally
irrelevant - but are you logged onto the Dell computer as a user with
Administrator privileges? If not, it might be worth logging off - and
logging onto the Dell computer again as Administrator, before you run
the wizard.

My other observation relates to your Win XP licence. You own a Dell
computer with Win XP pre-installed, so you probably have a Dell OEM
version of the Windows XP operating system. If you contact Microsoft
for technical support, Microsoft will tell you to contact Dell, who are
responsible for providing hardware and software support.

Have you approached Dell for advice?

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > the desktop.
>> >
>> > Now, switch on the printer.
>> >
>> > Open Control Panel on the laptop (the desktop and the router must
>> > also
>> > be running at the same time). Click on Printers and Faxes. Then
>> > click
>> > on "Add a Printer". Follow the wizard (to add a network printer).
>> >
>> > When you browse for the new computer, the wizard should find the
>> > printer
>> > that is attached to LPT1 on your desktop and hopefully, it will
>> > download
>> > the printer drivers automatically from your desktop to the laptop.
>> > Otherwise, you might need to install drivers on the laptop from the
>> > HP
>> > 890C set-up CD.
>> >
>> > If all goes well, this will allow you to print from the laptop.
>> >
>> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

We have finally got to the core of the problem and yes, you are quite
right..it was the window configuration on the Dell that was the cause. So for
anyone else that may be experiencing similar problems what we found was this:

Go start, run, then type in services.msc which will bring up a long list of
local services that are on the PC. Check down the list for server and ensure
that it is enabled and started as it is a function which supports printer
operation. In our case it had been disabled thus causing the printer sharing
option to be inoperative. If you find it is disabled, double click server
and in the startup type box select automatic and try start, apply and ok.
Hopefully it will start and with that sorted, you should then be able to go
ahead and get the printer share function going.

The two computers are now working together well although there is a slight
problem in that we have set up a shared folder on both:- Data entered into
this folder on the XP Dell transfers directly to the Vista laptop just fine
but when it comes to the reverse from the laptop we get a message 'permission
denied'. So no doubt a Vista thing and I will have to look into exactly how
that works.

Many thanks again though for the assistance!!

"Bob Lucas" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Add Printer. Check the radio button
> >> "A network printer ..." and then either browse for the printer or
> >> enter its
> >> name (using \\PCName\PrinterName) and continue until finished. Ensure
> >> that the firewall on your XP PC is set to allow access to remote
> >> printers.
> >> If using XP's native firewall ensure that File and Printer Sharing is
> >> enabled and that the box with he same name is checked in the Firewall
> >> exceptions list. The PCName can be found at:
> >>
> >> Rightclick My Computer icon on desktop>Properties>Computer Name tab.
> >> It may look something like: "Home-66djksjcpv". Don't type the
> >> quotes.
> >> Click "Next" and it should install the printer on the Guest PC when
> >> it finds it.
> >>
> >> Note: You can follow the same procedure to get access to

Bob Lucas

I'm not entirely sure whether you have been refused access from the Dell
to the Shared Documents folder on the laptop - or vice versa.
Furthermore, I am not familiar with the Vista operating system.
However, upon the assumption that the networking characteristics are
similar to Win XP, you may need to run a networking wizard on the
laptop - to enable file sharing and configure the inbuilt firewall to
trust the local network.

Whichever computer is causing problems, I would also check firewall
settings on both computers. If the computer is protected by a third
party firewall (such as McAfee or Norton), you must ensure that it has
been configured to trust the local network.

As a first step, find out the IP range for the wireless router. Typical
IP ranges might be 192.168.1.255 to 192.168.1.255 (for Linksys and many
other brands) or 192.168.11.0 to 192.168.11.255 (for Buffalo and some
other routers).

You will probably discover the IP range for the router in the
documentation. Otherwise, you can re-boot the laptop and/or the
desktop. Then, with the network running, click on Start / Run - and
type cmd - OK.

At the command prompt, type ipconfig - and press Return. This should
reveal the IP addresses used by
a) the gateway or router (a typical value might be 192.168.1.1) and
b) the computer (a typical value might be 192.168.1.2). Each
computer on the network will show a different final digit.

Exit from the command prompt.

Configure all firewalls to trust addresses in the entire range of values
(starting from 192.168.xx.0 and ending with 192.168.xx.255).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > desktop
>> > but at the end always get the message "Cannot complete the network
>> > setup
>> > wizard. An error occurred during the configuration of the network
>> > on
>> > the
>> > computer". What that error is I have no idea nor what to do or
>> > where
>> > to go to
>> > correct it. I have also used control panel, printers and faxes,
>> > selected the
>> > printer but when I click on share printer, I get a message "Printer
>> > settings
>> > could not be saved. Operation could not be completed".
>> >
>> > Any ideas on what is happening or what to do about it. I guess the
>> > easiest
>> > way is to get in a computer tech but its nice to learn and try to

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Could you tell me exactly how you go about setting those IP ranges into a
firewall such as Norton which we use on the computers.