Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Audio Problem

Audio Problem

nick

Got a DVD of some old TV shows. Six episodes. All play
fine on the PC, video and audio is fine. But on the
DVD player attached to my TV, episode 2 has no audio.
All 5 others are OK. Can you give me some suggestions
for fixing this??

thanks

nick

Kimba W. Lion

nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got a DVD of some old TV shows. Six episodes. All play
>fine on the PC, video and audio is fine. But on the
>DVD player attached to my TV, episode 2 has no audio.
>All 5 others are OK. Can you give me some suggestions
>for fixing this??

I'm assuming this is a burned DVD... What DVD player are you using? Some
of the oldest players won't play MPEG-2 audio, which is the way some PC
DVD programs encode the audio.

nick

Kimba W. Lion wrote:
> nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Got a DVD of some old TV shows. Six episodes. All play
>> fine on the PC, video and audio is fine. But on the
>> DVD player attached to my TV, episode 2 has no audio.
>> All 5 others are OK. Can you give me some suggestions
>> for fixing this??

> I'm assuming this is a burned DVD... What DVD player are you using? Some
> of the oldest players won't play MPEG-2 audio, which is the way some PC
> DVD programs encode the audio.

It's a fairly recent Phillips that does both PAL and NTSC. What
confuses me is that the audio plays great on all tracks on the PC,
and only 1 track has no audio on the DVD player. You would think
that since all the episodes were burned at the same time with the
same burner, all the VOB files would have the same audio aspects??

nick

Kimba W. Lion

nick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's a fairly recent Phillips that does both PAL and NTSC. What
>confuses me is that the audio plays great on all tracks on the PC,
>and only 1 track has no audio on the DVD player. You would think
>that since all the episodes were burned at the same time with the
>same burner, all the VOB files would have the same audio aspects??

OK, I was probably wrong about the MPEG-2 audio guess. But the burner does
not encode the DVD tracks (unless it's a real-time burner); they are
encoded before going to the burner and can have different origins. There
has to be something with the audio encoding on that one track that the
Philips does not like. Maybe someone else will know the quirks of the
Philips player...