Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP Suggestions

VOIP Suggestions

Brian A

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RH wrote:
>
>> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
>> can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
>> outgoing service

>BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
>(E-Mail Removed) besides which, I would expect the majority
>of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls
>
>> Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
>> voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
>> calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
>>
>> If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for use with
>> SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is probably the lowest at 4p
>> minute

>There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
>mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
>for ever)

Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Brian A

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:43:35 +0100, "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
>>>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
>>>

>> The best around I would say .

>Not if you want to make any kind of international calls,
>
>using voip.co.uk would bankrupt me as some of the prices they have are daft,
>really daft some calls can be nearly **10** times the cost of others such as
>justvoip.com

That is the reason why the majority of people on this group favour the
use of an unlocked ATA working with more than one provider. That is
the freedom you get compared to those who are locked into one system.
For those who find their particular ATA too limiting in this respect
there is Voxalot.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Herman

"Brian A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?

No. VC is SIP.

Steve in Herts

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:15:12 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:59:48 GMT, "acdeag"
>>Try looking at www.voip.co.uk
>>

>The best around I would say .

Agreed

andy

On Mar 31, 5:18 am, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RH wrote:
> > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
> > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
> > outgoing service

> BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
> (E-Mail Removed) besides which, I would expect the majority
> of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls
>
> > Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
> > voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
> > calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.

> > If your going to call call mobiles a lot,www.lowratevoip.comfor use with
> > SIP devices is pretty good andwww.justvoip.comis probably the lowest at 4p
> > minute

> There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
> mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
> for ever)

The post you quoted mentions JustVoip at 4p [5c + vat] at the moment,
though it is only two weeks old, so your remark would apply here as
well.

JV doesn't support using SIP for outgoing calls though, but some DIDs
(US but not a UK one) can be pointed at it

andy

On Mar 31, 1:54 pm, "andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 5:18 am, "Pete @www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > RH wrote:
> > > It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
> > > can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
> > > outgoing service

> > BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
> > (E-Mail Removed) besides which, I would expect the majority
> > of users would still retain their PSTN connection for incoming calls

> > > Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
> > > voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes per 7 days
> > > calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.

> > > If your going to call call mobiles a lot,www.lowratevoip.comforuse with
> > > SIP devices is pretty good andwww.justvoip.comisprobably the lowest at 4p
> > > minute

> > There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to UK
> > mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't last
> > for ever)

> The post you quoted mentions JustVoip at 4p [5c + vat] at the moment,
> though it is only two weeks old, so your remark would apply here as
> well.
>
> JV doesn't support using SIP for outgoing calls though, but some DIDs
> (US but not a UK one) can be pointed at it- Hide quoted text -

I should correct myself: a UK DID now works to JV, after some failed
attempts the other day

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Brian A wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:18:06 +0100, "Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> RH wrote:
>>
>>> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which
>>> people can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they
>>> provide only outgoing service

>> BUT... it is possible to get an incoming number pointing to your
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) besides which, I would expect the
>> majority of users would still retain their PSTN connection for
>> incoming calls
>>
>>> Then if your just calling landlines especially europe wise,
>>> voipdiscount/internetcalls are good as they give you 300 minutes
>>> per 7 days calls and half decent call rates to mobiles.
>>>
>>> If your going to call call mobiles a lot, www.lowratevoip.com for
>>> use with SIP devices is pretty good and www.justvoip.com is
>>> probably the lowest at 4p minute

>> There's still nothing that can match voipcheap.com for call rates to
>> UK mobiles at around 6p per minute (though I'm sure that rate won't
>> last for ever)

> Am I right in thinking that VoipCheap is IAX only though?
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

No, it's offered SIP for almost as long as it's been going, with the
newer named services offering it from day one, I use the betamax
services from a PAP2 ATA.

ts86

"RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:euivjf$amq$1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> --------------
>
> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which people
> can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they provide only
> outgoing service

I've got a VoIPDiscount account that I actively use. I got it a long time
ago (when they first opened shop) and have a 0208 incoming landline number.
Have they changed their policy for new accounts now?

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

ts86 wrote:
> "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:euivjf$amq$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> --------------
>>
>> It depends what your after, if you are wanting a real number which
>> people can contact you on then Voipcheap etc is not for you, they
>> provide only outgoing service
>>

> I've got a VoIPDiscount account that I actively use. I got it a long
> time ago (when they first opened shop) and have a 0208 incoming
> landline number. Have they changed their policy for new accounts now?

Yeah, some time back. I also have an incoming number though with sister
services, VoIP Buster, VoIP Stunt, VoIPCheap and SIP Discount (0121
numbers, except VB which is 0845).

It is possible for no fee, to point an 01 or 02 number to any of the
Betamax services.

Win Amazon Vouchers:
http://www.wabbadabba.com/join.aspx?friend=4I9Q6C6X3477

Stri

On 30 Mar, 12:12, "Stri" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just doing some reading up, I'm not that impressed with Skype
> and I'm looking for alternatives.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/36c2zr
>
> VoIPDiscount VoIPCheap & VoIPStunt seem to be the suggested
> alternative. What I need is a VOIP provider which (like skype) I can
> just pay 10 quid (or so) and top up my credit to make call. I don't
> want any monthly plans as I like my freedom.
>
> I know there are several, I'd rather just trust in your experience in
> the subject to point me to the best one. If you came to alt.games.half-
> life I'd do the same.
>
> Thanks for reading
>
> peace, love and happiness (with the occasionally bit of harmless
> violence)
>
> Scottie

Wow, that's a lot to think about. I don't need an incoming line but I
don't like ambiguity of voipcheap.