Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Connecting 3 switches to a fourth switch, each with its own crossover cable shuts down ports

Connecting 3 switches to a fourth switch, each with its own crossover cable shuts down ports

Ned

This is probably a very basic question but I need to ask it anyway
since there is no easy way to test it while everyone is on the
network. I have (3) 3com switches, all are connected via a proprietary
backplane cable called a matrix cable whis is sort of like a crossover
cable. I added a fourth switch, a Cisco catalyst, and decided to plug
each 3com into the Cisco switch using three crossover cables, one
cable for each 3com, connected to the Cisco. Later I would connect the
Cisco to a trunk. After plugging in the three xover cables I noticed
only one port was active, and if I unplugged the active port, one of
the other two ports became active. Is this spannig tree? was it doing
this to prevent a loop? Will this config work once I remove the matrix/
backplane cable?

thanks
NH

Doug McIntyre

"Ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>This is probably a very basic question but I need to ask it anyway
>since there is no easy way to test it while everyone is on the
>network. I have (3) 3com switches, all are connected via a proprietary
>backplane cable called a matrix cable whis is sort of like a crossover
>cable. I added a fourth switch, a Cisco catalyst, and decided to plug
>each 3com into the Cisco switch using three crossover cables, one
>cable for each 3com, connected to the Cisco. Later I would connect the
>Cisco to a trunk.

> After plugging in the three xover cables I noticed only one port was
>active, and if I unplugged the active port, one of the other two
>ports became active. Is this spannig tree?

Yes.

> was it doing this to prevent a loop?

Yes, because you made loops. The stack cable makes the 3 behave as one.

> Will this config work once I remove the matrix/backplane cable?

It works now.

But, yes it will still work when you unstack them as well.

Ned

On Mar 29, 2:10 pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >This is probably a very basic question but I need to ask it anyway
> >since there is no easy way to test it while everyone is on the
> >network. I have (3) 3com switches, all are connected via a proprietary
> >backplane cable called a matrix cable whis is sort of like a crossover
> >cable. I added a fourth switch, a Cisco catalyst, and decided to plug
> >each 3com into the Cisco switch using three crossover cables, one
> >cable for each 3com, connected to the Cisco. Later I would connect the
> >Cisco to a trunk.

> > After plugging in the three xover cables I noticed only one port was
> >active, and if I unplugged the active port, one of the other two
> >ports became active. Is this spannig tree?

> Yes.
>
> > was it doing this to prevent a loop?

> Yes, because you made loops. The stack cable makes the 3 behave as one.
>
> > Will this config work once I remove the matrix/backplane cable?

> It works now.
>
> But, yes it will still work when you unstack them as well.

Thanks!