Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Virus?

Virus?

news.virgin.net

I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence is
there some virus going around?
DH

Sebastian Gottschalk

news.virgin.net wrote:

> I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
> hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
> recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence is
> there some virus going around?

Why do you think this is likely to be a virus and not just a simply
failure?

news.virgin.net

"Sebastian Gottschalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.virgin.net wrote:
>
>> I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
>> hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
>> recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence
>> is
>> there some virus going around?

> Why do you think this is likely to be a virus and not just a simply
> failure?

On three different computers?? disk drives are ok once re-formatted

Sebastian Gottschalk

news.virgin.net wrote:

> "Sebastian Gottschalk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> news.virgin.net wrote:
>>
>>> I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
>>> hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
>>> recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence
>>> is
>>> there some virus going around?

>> Why do you think this is likely to be a virus and not just a simply
>> failure?

> On three different computers??

May I add about 20 more computers with exactly the same experience? This is
what happens when a bad hard drive stumbles upon a bad transportation.

Anders

news.virgin.net skrev:
> I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
> hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
> recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence is
> there some virus going around?
> DH

Is there some particular program you are installing on all three computers?
Or something that is in some what the same for all three of them?
Are you using any kind of protection, AV, PFW and/or FW?
Are you making sure that no one can run prog outside you're knowing?

After this has happen have you made an clean reinstall of the OS's or
are you using an image?

<GUESSING>If you make use of an image the problem can be on that in form
of some virus,
but I don't think it is an boot sector virus (they are a little bit
tricky to
install these days), virus for the boot section was almost only for floppy's
back in the happy 80's.
But it can be some of all this virus that overwrite you're .COM files
and than
destroy you're partition-table.</GUESSING>

Little reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_%28computing%29

/Anders

news.virgin.net

"Anders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:71UOh.37421$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news.virgin.net skrev:
>> I have had three computers in for repair lately with the same fault, the
>> hard drive is messed up not formatted, OS missing, when I use a data
>> recovery programme everything is there, it seems to be such a coincidence
>> is
>> there some virus going around?
>> DH
>>

> Is there some particular program you are installing on all three
> computers?
> Or something that is in some what the same for all three of them?
> Are you using any kind of protection, AV, PFW and/or FW?
> Are you making sure that no one can run prog outside you're knowing?
>
> After this has happen have you made an clean reinstall of the OS's or
> are you using an image?
>
> <GUESSING>If you make use of an image the problem can be on that in form
> of some virus,
> but I don't think it is an boot sector virus (they are a little bit tricky
> install these days), virus for the boot section was almost only for
> floppy's
> back in the happy 80's.
> But it can be some of all this virus that overwrite you're .COM files and
> than
> destroy you're partition-table.</GUESSING>
>
> Little reading:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_%28computing%29

These are computers coming from other people with problens for repair I
havn't installed anything only got them up and running again
DH

Fos

HI,
it could be a virus ... first u need to post your hijack log this log
can show you that either your computer infected or not...
Regrds

View this thread: http://www.wirelessforums.org/showthread.php?t=19316
http://www.wirelessforums.org

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Fos.2rp63q@no-
mx.wirelessforums.org says...

> HI,
> it could be a virus ... first u need to post your hijack log this log
> can show you that either your computer infected or not...

Do NOT POST HIJACK LOGS TO USENET - Follow the proper directions from
the download site (if it's a valid site it will explain exactly
where/how to post the logs) in order to get proper feedback.

Posting HJLogs to Usenet only corrupts searches for poblem items.

*** WARNING - these links contain foul/pornographic content of an
website ***
http://www.pcbutts1.com/rlk/rlk.htm Exposed to Kids ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/license.htm Exposed to Kids ,
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/max.htm Exposed to Kids ,