Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate Phishing scam found

Sipgate Phishing scam found

Ivor Jones

If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:

>Dear Sipgate Member,
>
>We have temporarily suspended your email account
>mailto(E-Mail Removed).
>
>This might be due to either of the following reasons:
>
>1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
>2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
>3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of
>subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
>See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
>
>Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

also

>Dear user xxxxxx,
>
>It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
>are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
>
>Thank you for using Sipgate!
>The Sipgate Support Team
>+++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!

Please be on the lookout for this.

Ivor

Clavox@lancs.no-ip.co.uk

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:05:18 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
>content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
>had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:

YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN
[...]
YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN YAWN
[...]

Rob

<(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> YAWN.....YAWN

Now there's a surprise!

Rob

Desk Rabbit

Ivor Jones wrote:
> If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
> content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
> had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:
>
>> Dear Sipgate Member,
>>
>> We have temporarily suspended your email account
>> mailto(E-Mail Removed).
>>
>> This might be due to either of the following reasons:
>>
>> 1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
>> 2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
>> 3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of
>> subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
>> See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
>>
>> Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

> also
>
>> Dear user xxxxxx,
>>
>> It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
>> are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
>>
>> Thank you for using Sipgate!
>> The Sipgate Support Team
>> +++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

> I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!
>
> Please be on the lookout for this.
>

> Ivor

Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around since
2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it and kill it.

http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html

Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been able to trace the
source which would have been far more useful.

Graham

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If anyone has had emails purportedly from Sipgate with the following
> content, they are phishing scams and are NOT from Sipgate. A friend has
> had two recently, one with an executable, so take care:
>
>>Dear Sipgate Member,
>>
>>We have temporarily suspended your email account
>>mailto(E-Mail Removed).
>>
>>This might be due to either of the following reasons:
>>
>>1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
>>2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
>>3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription
>>due to an internal error within our processors.
>>See the details to reactivate your Sipgate account.
>>
>>Sincerely,The Sipgate Support Team

> also
>
>>Dear user xxxxxx,
>>
>>It has come to our attention that your Sipgate User Profile ( x ) records
>>are out of date. For further details see the attached document.
>>
>>Thank you for using Sipgate!
>>The Sipgate Support Team
>>+++ Sipgate Antivirus - http://www.sipgate.co.uk

> I never heard of Sipgate Antivirus..!
>
> Please be on the lookout for this.
>

> Ivor

Hi Ivor,
its W32/Zotob.J or one of its varients.
This explains how it works, as you can see "Sipgate" can be replaced with
any string gleaned randomly from the victims email "from" headers.

http://www.protectorplus.com/virus_i...rms/zotobj.htm

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
> since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
> and kill it.

Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
purporting to be from Sipgate before.

> http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html
>
> Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
> able to trace the source which would have been far more
> useful.

Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
friend not me.

Ivor

Desk Rabbit

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
>> Nothing new. Its the W32/Mytob virus that has been around
>> since 2005-ish. Any half decent AV package will find it
>> and kill it.

> Almost certainly, as you say. But I hadn't seen the message text
> purporting to be from Sipgate before.

The domain name is a variable in the virus code, it just as easily been
bbc.co.uk etc..

>> http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/an...32mytobat.html
>>
>> Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
>> able to trace the source which would have been far more
>> useful.

> Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see, the emails were to a
> friend not me.

Then ask your friend for the headers.

Ivor Jones

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> > > Now, if you had posted the headers we might have been
> > > able to trace the source which would have been far
> > > more useful.

> > Unfortunately I wasn't given them, only what you see,
> > the emails were to a friend not me.

> Then ask your friend for the headers.

I have done so, awaiting reply.

Ivor

The Last Outpost

Rob wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > YAWN.....YAWN

> Now there's a surprise!

It's only the Anti-Sipgate / Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter)... Ignore him!

Nick.

Clavox@lancs.no-ip.co.uk

On 31 Mar 2007 09:12:44 -0700, "The Last Outpost"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-ip.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > YAWN.....YAWN

>> Now there's a surprise!

>Anti-Ivor idiot (Dexter).
>
>Nick.

Takes one to know one Nick and incidently it WAS Ivor who started the
yawn stupidity but I fully intend to finish it and if you are anyone
else dosen't like it tough .
Now FOAD .