Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FireFox default page keeps reseting?

FireFox default page keeps reseting?

Randy

Hello everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so....nice to meet you all. I
have an interesting question, I think.

I recently moved from the United States to The Netherlands and joined
HetNet.nl for my internet service. I use Firefox as my browser, and for the
longest time used Windows XP Home Edition with only one user - myself - as
computer administrator.

I never set up other account users within WinXP until last night, and when I
did, I gave my oldest daughter (17) admin priviledges and her own User
Account.

However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
not let me change this setting now.

Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?

Thanks for your time, Randy

Rom

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:34:46 +0200, Randy wrote:

> However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
> automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
> the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
> Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
> closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
> not let me change this setting now.
>
> Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
> google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?

Is the homepage changing from .com to .nl in Tools > Options > Main?
Or is it www.google.com, but www.google.nl is loading instead?

Another way to see the homepage is to type about:config into the
address bar and press Enter, then type startup into the Filter box.
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.startup.homepage>

If you type www.google.com into the address bar and press Enter, does
http://www.google.com/ or http://www.google.nl/ load?

If http://www.google.com/ loads, with only that page open, go to Tools

If http://www.google.nl/ loads see:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akamai_Technologies>

--
Rom

Doug G

Randy wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm new to this newsgroup so....nice to meet you all. I
> have an interesting question, I think.
>
> I recently moved from the United States to The Netherlands and joined
> HetNet.nl for my internet service. I use Firefox as my browser, and for the
> longest time used Windows XP Home Edition with only one user - myself - as
> computer administrator.
>
> I never set up other account users within WinXP until last night, and when I
> did, I gave my oldest daughter (17) admin priviledges and her own User
> Account.
>
> However, when i went to open the FireFox browser in her account, it
> automatically switched the default home page to: www.google.nl, instead of
> the regular one I use: www.google.com . I went into Tools, Options,
> Homepage, and re-typed in www.google.com, and applied/saved it, but when I
> closed FireFox and reopened it, it reset itself to: www.google.nl. It will
> not let me change this setting now.
>
> Does anyone know why it keeps switching back to google.nl instead of
> google.com, no matter how many time I correct it?
>
> Thanks for your time, Randy

If the prefs.js file in your daughter's Firefox profile is marked
read-only, any changes made in Options won't be saved when the program
is closed. Change the file's attribute while the program is closed.

How To Manage Profiles
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

You can create a file named user.js containing the following line.

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://my.google.com/");

Use Notepad to create the user.js file and save it in the same profile
folder as the prefs.js file.