Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-bit Progam Memory Access on 64-bit Vista

32-bit Progam Memory Access on 64-bit Vista

TJD

Adobe just released a statement about their new CS3 programs and Vista
64-bit. They state that the programs run fine on Vista 64-bit as 32-bit
programs and that each program can access up to 3 GB of RAM. My computer has
8 GB of RAM. Does that mean the each 32-bit program that is running can
access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB (as per
the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and Premiere have
another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running simulaneously?

Kornél Pál

> Adobe just released a statement about their new CS3 programs and Vista
> 64-bit. They state that the programs run fine on Vista 64-bit as 32-bit
> programs and that each program can access up to 3 GB of RAM. My computer
> has 8 GB of RAM. Does that mean the each 32-bit program that is running
> can access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB (as
> per the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and Premiere
> have another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running simulaneously?

You found official data here:

32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows are running in WOW64 that emulates a full
4 GB virtual address space for each 32-bit process that is the maximum you
can store in a 32-bit integer.

3 GB virtual address space is the maximum you can reach on 32-bit Windows
because the kernel reserves the remaining 1 GB (or the remaining 2 GB by
default) for kernel-mode in order to be able to operate.

I only found information about CS2:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=320005

This clearly states that the process gets 4 GB virtual adress space but
Photoshop itself limits it's own memory usage to preserve memory for
plug-ins as well.

Kornél

TJD

Thanks for the great information. This is very good news as I was under the
impression that ALL running 32-bit programs ran WITHIN a single 4GB 34-bit
RAM system in Vista 64-bit. But, your info shows a much more effective use
of extended RAM with 64-bit Vista even when using 32-bit programs are used.

"Kornél Pál" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Adobe just released a statement about their new CS3 programs and Vista
>> 64-bit. They state that the programs run fine on Vista 64-bit as 32-bit
>> programs and that each program can access up to 3 GB of RAM. My computer
>> has 8 GB of RAM. Does that mean the each 32-bit program that is running
>> can access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB
>> (as per the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and
>> Premiere have another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running
>> simulaneously?

> You found official data here:
>
> 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows are running in WOW64 that emulates a
> full 4 GB virtual address space for each 32-bit process that is the
> maximum you can store in a 32-bit integer.
>
> 3 GB virtual address space is the maximum you can reach on 32-bit Windows
> because the kernel reserves the remaining 1 GB (or the remaining 2 GB by
> default) for kernel-mode in order to be able to operate.
>
> I only found information about CS2:
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=320005
>
> This clearly states that the process gets 4 GB virtual adress space but
> Photoshop itself limits it's own memory usage to preserve memory for
> plug-ins as well.
>
> Kornél

Kornél Pál

Note that on 32-bit Windows each process gets a 4 GB virtual address space
as well, the only difference is that the top 1 GB or 2 GB (depending on
boot.ini settings) of that virtual adress space is reserved for and is used
by kernel mode.

Also note that even on 32-bit Windows (and with 32-bit applications running
on 32-bit Windows) more than 4 GB memory can be used with Address Windowing
Extensions but that would require some work of Adobe guys on the source code
of Photoshop. See: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366527.aspx

Kornél

"TJD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
%23%23gQy$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the great information. This is very good news as I was under
> the impression that ALL running 32-bit programs ran WITHIN a single 4GB
> 34-bit RAM system in Vista 64-bit. But, your info shows a much more
> effective use of extended RAM with 64-bit Vista even when using 32-bit
> programs are used.
>
> "Kornél Pál" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Adobe just released a statement about their new CS3 programs and Vista
>>> 64-bit. They state that the programs run fine on Vista 64-bit as 32-bit
>>> programs and that each program can access up to 3 GB of RAM. My computer
>>> has 8 GB of RAM. Does that mean the each 32-bit program that is running
>>> can access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB
>>> (as per the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and
>>> Premiere have another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running
>>> simulaneously?

>> You found official data here:
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
>>
>> 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows are running in WOW64 that emulates a
>> full 4 GB virtual address space for each 32-bit process that is the
>> maximum you can store in a 32-bit integer.
>>
>> 3 GB virtual address space is the maximum you can reach on 32-bit Windows
>> because the kernel reserves the remaining 1 GB (or the remaining 2 GB by
>> default) for kernel-mode in order to be able to operate.
>>
>> I only found information about CS2:
>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=320005
>>
>> This clearly states that the process gets 4 GB virtual adress space but
>> Photoshop itself limits it's own memory usage to preserve memory for
>> plug-ins as well.
>>
>> Kornél

Kornél Pál

Little correction:
(and with 32-bit applications running on 32-bit Windows)
--> (and with 32-bit applications running on 64-bit Windows)

e$(E-Mail Removed)...

Computer progam? Digital Photography 4 06-04-2005 12:53 AM
Progam to combine 4 photos into one file york-y-man Digital Photography 13 02-02-2005 08:50 PM
Scheduling a screen-scraping progam on a locked PC? =?Utf-8?B?VGludGluTWlsb3U=?= Microsoft Certification 7 01-12-2005 06:19 PM
lootery ball progam carl bloc C++ 5 05-26-2004 05:18 PM
Help with a progam Buck Rogers C Programming 13 02-02-2004 07:10 AM

Advertisments